May 23, 2016, 04:01 PM
I looked up lightex and it appears to be a heavier covering but goes on and shrinks at low temps. Sig sells it also.
to remove ads between posts
May 23, 2016, 05:43 PM
Balsa&Tissue
Quote:
Originally Posted by builderdude
I will probably use Coverite on mine when I build it.
I like using that synthetic tissue because it's tougher than tissue and takes to paint really well. I've never seen anything that takes paint like synthetic tissue does.
I like coverite (isn't it coverlite though) as well especially because it is a dream to paint. Getting the hang of applying the adhesive and attaching the material takes a while and some determination but the material works great and is light but strong, ready to paint with no filling required. I did my Tritle B-17 in Coverlite and painted it OD over gray (memphis Belle) and it came out really scale looking.

I think Coverite is the heavier fabric like material.

Dave
May 23, 2016, 06:30 PM
Coverite is a pretty heavy fabric but it is hard to find . I not sure that they are still in business as all the DFW area hobby shops stopped selling it years ago.
It is a great cover for fully sheeted models if you seal it with nitrate dope before painting. I have never tried it on the smaller open structures that I build these days. It will be interesting to see how your Connie turns out.
May 23, 2016, 07:55 PM
The unpainted Coverite (regular or Supershrink) hasn't been sold for a few years. After GP bought Coverite they eliminated a number of products. All that is left are the 21st Century Fabrics and Films and the light weight Coverlte lines.

I really like Coverlite for these small electrics. I have it on several of my small (180-370) planes.
May 23, 2016, 08:12 PM
COVERLITE!!!!! I love this covering. it is entirely paintable as I have painted two entire models covered with this. I have also done 6 fin fillets on various models from Cubs to Waco's to Pacers and all have turned out great. They look very authentic if done properly. It also stays shrunk over the years and is very tough. It takes some getting used to but gives a very authentic fabric look. If needed it can be painted to a nice opaque finish. If the finish is to resemble the old stick-and-tissue look, leave it as is. It also can be patched if needed. If this is ever discontinued I am in deep doo doo.

Clear Skies and Gentle Breezes

The Yank
May 24, 2016, 10:57 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by payne9999
I like coverite (isn't it coverlite though) as well especially because it is a dream to paint. Getting the hang of applying the adhesive and attaching the material takes a while and some determination but the material works great and is light but strong, ready to paint with no filling required. I did my Tritle B-17 in Coverlite and painted it OD over gray (memphis Belle) and it came out really scale looking.

I think Coverite is the heavier fabric like material.

Dave
Yes you're right, Dave.
I can never keep those two names straight in my head.
It's the Coverlite, not Coverite...
May 24, 2016, 11:44 AM
Neophyte hacker
There is Coverite Coverlite, which is the same as Litespan, a sealed polyester tissue. It requires an adhesive.

Then there is Coverite Microlite, which is the same as Solite/Litefilm/Aerolite.

FYI, the Cessna issue came about because Cessna (owned by Textron) went after Dumas for marketing model airplanes labeled with Cessna's name. I still will not use Cessna's name on any models we sell. It was rumored that Boeing and Lockheed were doing the same, but, I never saw or heard of anyone having issues with them and model airplanes. When Raytheon owned Beech and Hawker they encouraged modeling and would even send 3 views of their planes for modeling. Now Hawker is also owned by Textron. Beechcraft is again a company of their own.

charlie
May 25, 2016, 08:48 AM
As I understand it, a company must protect their product name , logos, etc. or risk losing their rights . This started with a model train company using various proprietary logos and color schemes and getting sued by a full scale train company. Ridiculous!
May 25, 2016, 09:19 AM
Thread OP

Finishing Covering the Fuselage

Got the silver Microlite last week so was able to get the fuselage finished up. Did the bottom same as the top by doing the major section in the middle first, then filling in the one stringer bay. Also did the wing fairing in sections to complete the basic cover.
May 25, 2016, 09:21 AM
Thread OP

Covering the Horizontal Tail and Ailerons

After doing the fuselage these parts were a snap. Only thing left now is the wing assembly, which I hope to wrap up today.

PAT
May 25, 2016, 09:27 AM
There are some who call me....
Pat, where the concave shape of fillets is challenging to cover anyway, I would guess the flexible nature of the card stock used might add another layer of complexity. What tool did you use - regular iron or a trim iron? - and any technique you can share that helps produce such nice results?
May 25, 2016, 09:31 AM
We should all be so lucky to one day cover a fuse as nice as that...those fillets look like a real bear to get that area wrinkle free.

Very tidy job on the covering...
Is the silver the worst of the Microlite/SoLite covering? I found it to be a little more difficult to work with...

Looks like you need to make more yellow & dark colored planes (from your stockpile of covering under the bench in the background) ;D
May 25, 2016, 12:54 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Pat, your shop looks entirely to clean!!

SteveT.
Latest blog entry: My shop....
May 25, 2016, 04:05 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by RAFster
We should all be so lucky to one day cover a fuse as nice as that...those fillets look like a real bear to get that area wrinkle free.

Very tidy job on the covering...
Is the silver the worst of the Microlite/SoLite covering? I found it to be a little more difficult to work with...

Looks like you need to make more yellow & dark colored planes (from your stockpile of covering under the bench in the background) ;D
Raf, Actually, the only color that I would call "more difficult" then the others is black. Don't know why, just seems a bit trickier to handle. And yes, the fillets were a bit of fun to say the least. But, that's why I prefer Microlite over the other heftier stuff -- definitely easier to go around those more then a little challenging curves. Meanwhile, since there are quantity discounts from Tower Hobbies I usually by 3 of each color at a time. Then when I either open the last roll, or know I'll need more then I have for a project I'll stock up again.

PAT
May 25, 2016, 06:04 PM
Baboon McGoon
I'm a former Pan Am brat, but to me the Connie is mostly remembered as TWA airplane. When I was a little guy, I vividly remember the TWA Super Gs parked at the terminal at Idlewild (now JFK). IMHO, most beautiful airliner ever.
To E-Challenged: quickly explained, what you speak of is trademark dilution as opposed to copyright infringement. A company has to keep a fairly tight rein on its trademarks (e.g., as used in logos) or risk losing them. Understandable if you take time to think about it. However, copyright infringement enforcement for a miniature aircraft is IMHO absurd.

Quick Reply