Apr 27, 2016, 09:21 AM
Build Log

60" TWA Connie

At long last the 60" Connie drawings have been completed and construction has finally begun on this more then 3 year old project. The design is set up for 4 ch. R/C, and will be powered by 4, Suppo 2212 Outrunner motors. And once the p-type and all the paperwork has been completed the model will be kitted by Dare/Brodak. So with plans and parts in hand, let's get started.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 27, 2016, 09:29 AM

Building the Fuselage Sides

The fuselage side frames are build directly over the provided Side Frame assembly drawings. The frames are over 50" long, and the longest building board I have is 48", the frames had to be built in 2 stages. The front end was done first, then when that was done the frame was shifted forward and the aft section completed. Then once both frames were finished and sanded they're ready to be joined.
Apr 27, 2016, 09:41 AM

Joining the Side Frames

To begin, the side frames are pinned over the top view assembly drawing and squared up using machinists squares. Again, the front end was done first and then shifted on the board and the aft section done. The cross pieces are added first, and when all were in, the diagonal bracing is added. The frame will need to be lifted and re-pinned to the board a couple of times along the way until all of the top and bottom bracing is in.

When adding the diagonal bracing care must be taken to fit each piece very carefully. If the sections are too long they'll twist the fuselage out of square quickly and the frame will end up 19 kinds of crooked. That being the case, each section was fitted just a tiny bit loose using a square at each end to insure nothing got cock-eyed along the way. It's a slow process, but well worth the time spent to insure a nice straight frame.
Apr 27, 2016, 09:44 AM
killickb
Pat, this is Fantastic news ! I was hoping that payne9999 was going to have his 60"version kitted but it seems the FAA edict p----d him off and he lost enthusiasm even after the proto had flown and plans were finalized.

I bet there are a lot of builders out there that will be happy to see you embarqing on this and finally getting us what we have dreamed about for many months.

Count one sale here ! Pic attached of my last Trittle build -- it flies superbly.
Apr 27, 2016, 09:45 AM

Adding the Wing Joinery

The wing will be removable, so the front header former and bold plates were added next. And at the same time, the servo rails and mounts were set up and the rudder and elevator servos installed.
Apr 27, 2016, 09:57 AM

Setting Up the Nose Wheel Mount

The steerable nose wheel mound was built up and fitted into the fuselage. The bearing tube is lashed in place and the bulkhead using nylon thread.

The nose wheel strut assembly is built up next. The strut is bent to shape, and the brass tube slide coupler slipped in place on the strut. The wheel axles were made up and soldered in place on the struts. The trailing link was made up next, then the whole assembly was fitted onto the mounts and the components soldered together. The steering arm was built up using brass strap and a wheel collar soldered together to complete the basic assembly. On the finished model the steering link will be accessible through the removable cockpit section should adjustments need to be made.
Last edited by P. Tritle; Apr 27, 2016 at 10:05 AM.
Apr 27, 2016, 10:02 AM

Adding the Exterior Formers

The formers are set up on quarters at each vertical station. There's a lot of them, so once again, a little extra time spent will insure that each aligns properly insuring good straight stringer lines.
Apr 27, 2016, 10:12 AM

Fitting the Wing Saddle Sheeting

The wing saddle outer sheeting is added and trimmed to the contour of the main frame saddle. Then a few stringers were added to support the formers to prevent damage in handling the frame.

Since this is a p-type and much of the engineering will be done "on the fly" I'll hold off on the rest of the stringers so's not to loose easy access to the inside of the frame until all of the control system locations are worked out and are in place. all that will be worked out in the kit, but for now we'll have to play it by ear.
Apr 27, 2016, 10:18 AM

Building the Rudders

The center fin was built up first. And since the bowed leading edge was needed to get things rolling I also laid up all of the bows so they'd be handy when they were needed.

Shims are used to center the leading and trailing edge parts on the ribs, and when completed the ribs are sanded into contour and the final shaping is done and the hinges dry fitted into the assembly.
Apr 27, 2016, 10:29 AM

Building The Outer Rudders

The outer vertical fins are built up first, then the rudders built separately due to the wire link joining the upper and lower rudder sections.

The fin is built, beginning with the aft section. The aft center section is laminated from 3 parts to form the cavity that the joiner link will pass through. The remaining assembly is done the same as the center fin. When completed, the fin is removed from the board and sanded to shape. The rudders are build up next, sanded to shape, then the hinges cut in. The holes are marked and drilled for the joiner links and the rudders dry fitted in place.
Apr 27, 2016, 10:36 AM

Starting the Horizontal Stabilizer

Construction begins with dry fitting the center ribs and stiffener onto the main spar. The front joiner is slipped in place next, followed by the front spar sections. The outer most ribs are dry-fitted in place next, then the assembly pinned in place over the plan at the center. 1/16 balsa shims are then placed under the spars just inboard of the last rib to support the spars during the rest of the assembly process. Now all of these parts can be glued in place.
Apr 27, 2016, 10:57 AM

Finishing up The Stabilizer

At this point the remaining ribs were added followed by the top sheeting, leading and trailing edges and tip bows. The assembly was removed from the board and the rest of the sheeting added.

The elevators were built up in place on the stab, one at a time with the rear spar pinned flush on the board. Then once the framing was done the parts were shaped and sanded and the hinges dry fitted in place.

I also tried something new on this design; the hinge slots in both the main and elevator spars were laser cut -- and boy did that make fitting the hinges easy. . . . .
Apr 27, 2016, 11:00 AM

Dry Fitting the Tail Assembly

With all of the vertical and horizontal tail assemblies done the parts were dry-assembled and fitted on the fuselage. Some trimming will be required, but at this point it's all looking good.

Next, it's on to the Wings. . . . .

PAT
Apr 27, 2016, 12:27 PM
Veni Vidi Volavi
Pat

Woo Hoo!!!!! Nice to see you working on this one.

Is the design based on the original Connie (Model 749) or the larger Super Connie (Model 1049)?

Will most definitely be getting this one from Brodak!!

Eagerly awaiting future work and pictures.

Looking at the fuselage reminds me of the fuselage on the P-3. Even with my 6 ft board I had to do it in two steps due to the length. And I remember adding all the diagonals and former sections, tons of fun!!!!

Brian

Veni Vidi Volavi

I came I saw I flew
Last edited by Brian Allen; Apr 27, 2016 at 01:45 PM.
Apr 27, 2016, 12:48 PM
"I will return" Federico
Nice work! Can you post the complete specs? Will plans show options for retracts and flaps, or are you going for light wing loading only? I'm curious about your rudder control with the one servo in the fuse.