Apr 24, 2016, 09:19 PM
Thread OP
Build Log

Dumas Rusty Shrimp boat

Bought this kit back in October of last year, finally have some time to work on it. Not much progression, but it's slow going.
Thes is my first kit build, so I'm learning as I'm go. This will be a slow build, but hopefully not as slow as the Mako (going on 8yrs).

More pics to follow as I go along.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2016, 10:15 PM
I also bought the kit last year so I'm going to be watching as you build this Shrimp Boat, Take your time and do it right. The frame looks great,

Bob
Last edited by rblubaugh; Jun 06, 2016 at 09:47 AM.
Apr 24, 2016, 10:39 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
You will enjoy it. I built mine as per the Dumas instructions but some one with good foresight could do a lot more with it. I just added a few small cabin details like a radar and a life raft container. I got to splash mine at an indoor show in February and it is a nice running boat. I put a 550 55T crawler motor in it with a 7.2 NiMH with stock prop from the running gear package and anything over 50% throttle is to much speed.

Bill
Apr 24, 2016, 10:41 PM
Thread OP
What kind of runtimes did you get with the 7.2 NiMH? I was thinking more like 6v SLA, but not sure how much ballast it will need to see if I can squeeze one in.
Apr 25, 2016, 06:45 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Hi Mitch, I neglected to say the 7.2 was 3000 m amps and I cannot tell you how long it would run. So far I have only run it at the show where I ran it off and on for 3 days without recharging. As I said I restricted the xmtr to 50% power ( which is all you need for scale speed) so you should be fine with 6v. I have some lead shot poured into epoxy in the bilge just forward of the motor. I can't say how much weight since I just added it until the waterline was right. I would guess about 3 lbs.
BTW the looks of the finished model and the way it ran surprised several of the other modelers at the show and some said they would be doing one after seeing it.
Bill
Apr 25, 2016, 08:45 AM
Bill,

Very nice looking model.

Bob
Apr 25, 2016, 01:27 PM
Thread OP
Little more work done, next up is hull planking.
Apr 25, 2016, 02:06 PM
boat butcher
Nice .

Mark
Apr 25, 2016, 03:34 PM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
Looking good, Mitch.

Planking goes pretty well on this one. BTW I use Windex to soak the planks and you only have to wait a couple of minutes for it to work. You also can Ca before they are completely dry. Works with poplar as well as balsa.

Bill
Apr 25, 2016, 03:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor
Looking good, Mitch.

Planking goes pretty well on this one. BTW I use Windex to soak the planks and you only have to wait a couple of minutes for it to work. You also can Ca before they are completely dry. Works with poplar as well as balsa.

Bill
Cool, thanks for the tip
Apr 25, 2016, 09:40 PM
Boats on the brain!!
Windex with ammonia.
Apr 26, 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sound sailor
Looking good, Mitch.

Bill
Are you spraying the planks down, on top of wax paper or cellophane, or putting them in a 'soak' tank of some sort for a couple of minutes - the amonia must be horrible to smell all the time .

Bob
Apr 26, 2016, 09:07 AM
Just Limin'
For when I plank, I built a "soak stick" It's a 1' dia piece of PVC tube about 5' long. The bottom is secured with a end fitting that was glued on. On top I use a removable cap. I fill it nearly to the top with Windex and drop my planks in. I usually work 4 at a time.. Let them soak 10-15 mins. I usually flip over half way through since they tend to float.

Mark the top with arrow so when flip you don't try and open the wrong end

Depending on the thickness of the planking they come out from moderately flexible, with enough bend to easily work, to "noodle like"

Total investment is under $10 and is invaluable in getting the planks to lay down right.

Scott
Apr 26, 2016, 09:24 AM
Thanks Scott,

Great idea! Why didn't I think of that?? Probably because I wasn't thinking . I'll build one from some scrap PVC I know I have around the garage.

Bob
Apr 26, 2016, 09:39 AM
Plures Naves Quam Mentes
I use the ammonia free Windex and it works just fine for me.

Bill

Quick Reply