50+ Build Off - Musciano CL Stunt Trainer to 25-size RC - MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO - RC Groups
Apr 24, 2016, 02:16 PM
Build Log

50+ Build Off - Musciano CL Stunt Trainer to 25-size RC - MAIDEN FLIGHT VIDEO

My UMX size Stunt Trainer flies so nicely, I figured it would be cool to have a larger one. When I met with Walt Musciano (designer of the C/L version from 1959) last fall, I mentioned how I had added a lot of weight to the nose to be able to get it to balance. He said it would "still be a Stunt Trainer if the nose was longer" so, with his ok, I lengthened the nose on this larger plane by 1" and the tail by 2". Hopefully with the lighter design behind the wing and a slightly-beefier front end it will take much less additional weight.

Last night I cut the plane out, and this afternoon I started gluing pieces together. First thing is to laminate the items needing it - the firewall, the hatch retainers, and the faux Cox.

The engine was scaled up according to the design I published here last March. The new one isn't as perfectly scale - I chose some thicknesses of wood based on what I was cutting and had room for, not necessarily to make it an exact copy. It's close enough.

Walt designed the original in 1959 for Scientific. Plans for the original are here and for my UMX adaptation here.

Andy
Last edited by AndyKunz; May 30, 2016 at 03:34 PM. Reason: Enter into 50+ Build Off
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2016, 04:02 PM
Fuselage sides are assembled from a handful of parts. I use cellophane tape instead of pins because it simply holds better. The tape goes on what will be the outside surfaces.

Andy
Apr 25, 2016, 08:30 AM
Gravity sucks.
Now thats cool!
If you need nose weight,just use a real Cox cylinder
Apr 25, 2016, 09:45 PM
Tonight I finished cutting the 1/4" balsa parts as well as a few fixes from the previous cuts. The wheels are a sandwich of a center 1/8" lite ply between 1/4" balsa sheets. The hub area is lite ply all the way through for strength.

Glued up and clamped, they remind me of the Martian spaceships that were in the "War of the Worlds."

The faux engine has been trued on the drill press, and I after the photo I put the first two thin coats of nitrate dope on it.

Andy
Apr 26, 2016, 08:39 AM

Dummy upgrade

Hey Andy, what do you think about installing an LED light in the Cox exhaust port?
Apr 26, 2016, 09:24 AM
Now that's a great idea! I'll have to look at that!

Andy
Apr 26, 2016, 11:07 AM
something really bright like what the FPV racers use.
Apr 26, 2016, 02:15 PM
UAS Pilot - FAA# *******HRK
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelR.
Hey Andy, what do you think about installing an LED light in the Cox exhaust port?
Nice.....! With a simple pic chip you could vary the pulse width and make it glow brighter as you give it throttle.

Mike
Apr 26, 2016, 02:31 PM
And I could change colors too. I could use my old 12F ESC code with mods to change colors at the same time.

Andy
Apr 26, 2016, 08:24 PM
This morning before going to work I put the ply doubler onto one fuselage side. 9 hours later it was ready to remove, and the next side went down. Turns out the pantry is a fine place to fine heavy objects to stack on them to squeeze them together.

The other thing I did was take those wheel blanks that were clamped overnight and then all day today and turn them into something usable.

The axle holes were drilled on the drill press to 1/4" to make sure the hole is true. I carved a little of the wood away by hand (less dust), then mounted on a 3" 1/4-20 bolt with washers and lock nuts. I had the shop vac pickup near the work, and used two sanding bars and a sanding pad to finish up the shaping. I need to find some bushings to insert in them, preferably 1/8" ID, 1/4" OD, with a flange. The wheels will get a standard nitrate-then-black Model Masters finish.

My goal is to have them look like the old racing-style tires that my big brother's little C/L plane had.

Meanwhile, the other fuselage side is getting the balsa trim for the cockpit and nose. These will make rounding and covering easier.

Andy
Apr 26, 2016, 09:21 PM
I finished up the engines tonight. A little Model Masters flat black and Pactra RC26 Indy Silver.

Andy
Apr 26, 2016, 11:22 PM
Nice, Andy! Love the wheels. The glow in the cylinder sounds cool, too. I would leave it orange but vary the brightness with the throttle.

David
Apr 27, 2016, 12:38 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Rapid progress Andy.
Apr 27, 2016, 12:51 PM
Thanks.

I feel like all I'm really making so far are the accessory items. The laminations for fuselage sides are "real" stuff, and while the glue dries there I work on these other things. That, and a few edits to the CAD files.

Now that the sides are dry I should be able to start making some real progress.

Andy
Apr 27, 2016, 01:20 PM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
It's the fiddly bits that take the time Andy - I always find that the main "carpentry" to produce a complete looking airframe goes very quickly, and the "accessories" take much longer.