Apr 24, 2016, 02:43 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Discussion

3D BOMB Extreme Aerobatics Foamie Design Free Plan

Foamies are regarded as being on the flimsy side. They are usually built for lightest weight possible which makes them floaty. While this gives the possibility of flying slow and precise. It is not possible to fly hard XA type manoeuvres as the airframe simply twists and contorts and thus the control surfaces are ineffective.

Now, because of this, people use Foamies to learn on and goof around on but when they get good, or when they want to start aggressive XA style manoeuvres they move onto a ply/carbon/EPP hybrid or a balsa.

I also done this but over the last two winters when the ground was too wet/frozen/flooded for those bigger planes i developed my own design Foamies to become much more stiff in the frame. I also tweaked the control surfaces so they were not too big as you get blowback and bending of the airframe and yet not small, basically as big as i can make them for extreme high energy punishment without getting into blowback and frame bending.

I then tweaked the moment arm length for the same effect, biggest control authority without being too long that it bends and flexes. Then i tweaked the wing so it had the most surface area allowing extreme manoeuvring under high stress loads.

I am telling you all this so when you look at it, you realize,,, while it doesn't actually look that much different to other spongy lightweight Foamies,, actually there are many insignificantly LOOKING differences, but all these advancements for XA actually
create a very much DIFFERENT flying aircraft.

Maybe a video will explain more so what i am explaining:-
Extreme Foamie Flying Dropping The 3D Bomb (6 min 15 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2016, 02:45 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Reserved for plans
Apr 24, 2016, 02:45 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Reserved for build video
Apr 24, 2016, 11:23 PM
This is interesting. I'll be watching. Thanks.
Apr 25, 2016, 06:33 AM
Hey, watch this!
Anxiously awaiting more . . .
Apr 26, 2016, 04:32 AM
jclassic1
WOW dermott,
great flying and the plane responds so well.
certainly interested in some plans .

John
Apr 27, 2016, 04:58 AM
Amazing flying!

I'd also be interested to see the plans and have a go at building this.

Would you also be able to post the prop, motor, esc and battery combo?

Thanks!
Apr 27, 2016, 03:17 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Thanks Guy's i have drawn up the plans, only old style pen n paper but adequate for purpose.

There is a small delay however as i made a couple of minor tweaks, a habit as a Designer i find hard to refrain from that last little experimenting even when something is fully proven.

It does involve the wing so is just about the most important part and may affect the cg.
So i have built another of the plan (with the couple of minor tweaks) which will both check the plan and the new tweaks.

Just waiting for a break in the weather as in the UK, it is seriously cold wet and windy (snowing yesterday and today)!

I can give you all the specs so anyone interested can buy the gear necessary and HobbyKing have a sale on as we speak:-

Designed around SK3 2822 1275 kv motor from HK (buy the short shaft version which doesn't have an extended rearward shaft).

You will need plenty of GWS 9 X 4.7 slow fly props.

One sheet 6mm white Depron (don't use grey as is very flexible)
Note HK sell Foam board now which would suffice, but is marginally heavier.
HK also sell foam safe glue now which is stronger than UHU POR (welders glue in Europe) but not suitable for using on mylar hinges because they set very stiff.

2 off 3mm carbon tube 500mm (two wing spars, top and bottom)
4 off 1.8/1.6mm carbon rod 200mm (to fit in tube ends - extended wing spars)
2 off 2.5mm carbon rod 400mm (ele + rudder pushrods)
2 off 2.5mm carbon rod 180mm (aileron pushrods)
8 off large nylon clevis's to accomadate 2.5mm carbon pushrods:-
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...0pcs_set_.html
Yep 18 ESC:-https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store/__37945__HobbyKing_YEP_18A_2_4S_SBEC_Brushless_Spe ed_Controller.html?strSearch=yep%2018

3 cell 450 65c battery:- (note this has std charge and balance plug, i have a dozen of these)
https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...4503SJ30_.html

Mylar hinge

A motor mount can be made from some 2mm plastic lying around the home.

Harlem
Last edited by dermott; May 12, 2016 at 08:25 PM.
Apr 28, 2016, 11:56 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
Reserved for EPP variant
Last edited by dermott; May 12, 2016 at 08:28 PM.
Apr 30, 2016, 08:55 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
The Bomb is now finished, maidened her today with the little experiments and she flew even better.

She is DONE

A friend has offered to make plan on Sketchup so have taken up his offer, will be next week hopefully.
Last edited by dermott; May 12, 2016 at 08:27 PM.
May 04, 2016, 09:37 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP

3D FUN Indoor Micro Foamie Plan Small Space Hucking

I thought i may as well bundle this new design with the splendid 3D Bomb than start a new thread for every new design i create.

I have had a number of attempts at designing a micro 3D Foamie for flying in tight spaces. The problem is when you go that small any slight miss match in the electronics (motor/battery/prop/ESC) or just a slight miss match in regards the aircraft being a tad heavy for the electronics is amplified at this size due to relative high wing loading.

Basically it is harder to design a bonkers good 3D model at this size, than at say at 30". This time i used a smaller motor and prop than my previous attempts, also 5g servos instead of 7g servos and omitted a wing spar to keep the weight low.

I made the design to be a wing span and weight that would be perfect for the chosen motor. I design all of my Foamies this way now after repeated successes and belief the greatest importance for a super design is getting that super critical match of motor to size of airframe (size and weight).

The wing was designed deliberately on the stubby side to maintain stiffness without a wing spar. Also a thin wing would be faster and we are wanting a slow bird.

The geometry, (moment arm, wing chord, wing position on fuselage, size of control surfaces) were all made using my 'percentages rule' which i formulated from all the best flying planes i have designed.

The number crunching before drawing up the plan paid off as the plane flew super sweet from maiden and no tweaking, exper-imenting or modding was required.

Two funnel hovers and a Harlem Shuffle on the second flight in a small room is evidence of a very special plane. Just think what it will be capable of doing after i get dialled into her!

Specs
16 1/2" wing span
105g without battery
T-motor AT2202 -32t 2300kv 15g
(having looked at the specs again, i can see a 7 X 3.5 sf prop is much better than the 6 X 3.5 that i was using).
TGY 1440a servos (4) 5g
JPEnerGPro 12a ESC (don't use a 6 amp, for hovering and hard flying you will need more amps).
2 cell 370mah (40c minimum)

Build from 6mm White Depron offcuts.
3D Fun Micro Indoor Foamie Funnel Hover Harlem Shuffle in 3mtr Room (7 min 15 sec)
May 06, 2016, 07:08 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
reserved for torque roll circle maneuver tutorial video
Last edited by dermott; May 13, 2016 at 11:38 AM.
May 08, 2016, 12:06 PM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
3D Hip Foamie Test Flights (2 min 50 sec)
Last edited by dermott; May 22, 2016 at 03:51 PM.
May 13, 2016, 11:39 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
3D Bomb Foamie Flying Death Fall Maneuver Tutorial (6 min 30 sec)
May 23, 2016, 09:28 AM
Suspended Account
Thread OP
3D Foamie Bipe 'Fan' Another Double Torque Roll Circle Hardly Cut (5 min 6 sec)

Quick Reply