Apr 23, 2016, 10:38 AM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
Discussion

Slegers International E-Prism (inflight video uploaded)

For the past few weeks I have been refurbishing an old Prism converted to electric and I think it came out pretty well.. Most of the work was removing the old covering and that very tedious and also pulled the servos out of the wing and used 5-min. epoxy to reinstall them.

The motor is a Turnigy 450/500 H2223 brushless outrunner 4400 KV driving an unknown gearbox and swinging a Aeronaut 14x6 propeller. Power comes from a Castle Creations Phoenix Edge Lite 50 ESC and Turnigy 2200mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack. By connecting a inline watt meter it's pulling 575 watts at 48 amps from the battery.

All servos are Hitec connected to a Frsky X8R receiver with a Frsky Vario and SP-FLVS - Smart Port Lipo Voltage Sensor.

The plane will carry a Run Cam 2 on the wingtip and a small custom made FPV camera/receiver mounted on top of the T-tail transmitting to a monitor/receiver mounted on my transmitter.

The final weight came out to 2376 grams or 5.25lbs and required 12.25oz of lead in the nose.

I'm hoping to fly it for the first time this weekend, but the weather may be a problem.
Last edited by Mark Wales; Apr 25, 2016 at 09:29 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 24, 2016, 12:04 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
Video from todays first flights. Watching the video from my desktop looks so much better than on you tube...

Music: Rush

Run Cam 2 on E-Prism Sailplane (12 min 21 sec)
Last edited by Mark Wales; Apr 24, 2016 at 08:56 PM.
Apr 24, 2016, 08:55 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
I forgot to remove the red rubber band used to secure the props when transporting.

Music: Yes, Alan Parsons and Al Stewart

Run Cam 2 on E Prism (nose view) (10 min 52 sec)
Apr 25, 2016, 09:30 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
Inflight stills
Apr 26, 2016, 12:10 PM
Great job on that refurb, Mark! The Prism was a great sailplane (and still is) The video is great, thanks for sharing!
Apr 26, 2016, 04:00 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
I'm really enjoying it... It is a great flying bird and with the winds we get here on the coast the added weight of the drive train and battery is a huge plus.

Thank you
Apr 30, 2016, 09:42 AM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
Was able to mount my FPV camera/transmitter on top of the t-tail. Have not flown it this way yet, but hope to soon.
Apr 30, 2016, 11:07 PM
Nice
May 03, 2016, 05:50 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
Thanks

Having problems with the drive train right now, but a replacement is on the way. (Thursday)

Going to be using this setup:
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXLWY5

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWVT4

https://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html
May 09, 2016, 07:31 AM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
The problem I noticed with the drivetrain is less power than first tested. After the first few flights I hooked the watt meter back up and found it was only pulling 300-350 watts, a lot lower than the first runs at 575 watts.
I think something gave out in the gearbox which was causing a strange shuttering when the throttle was advanced and not allowing full power potential of the setup. After replacing the motor/gearbox/ESC with the above parts it's now pulling 626 watts on 52A.

Should see better performance now.....
May 09, 2016, 10:26 AM
I flew a Prism back in the day. I loved that airplane!
May 09, 2016, 12:36 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by a2zprod
I flew a Prism back in the day. I loved that airplane!
Back in the 90's I flew a Slegers California Condor and loved that ship... The Prism is a great flying ship and lands like a dream..
May 15, 2016, 02:01 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
I was able to get out and fly it this afternoon with the new power setup she climbs straight up and at the 30sec run cutoff point she reach's 1100+'. Not bad for a 3m, 5.5lbs ship....

I did have a big problem while bleeding off altitude from 1700' using CROW the right aileron clevis came loose and made for a very stressful flight and landing. Found that the PLASTIC clevis came loose from the servo horn.

She does have a ton of power...
Jun 05, 2016, 01:10 PM
Glider Guider
Thread OP
Flight over Bogue Sound.

Runcam 2, Prism over the North Carolina Coast (8 min 31 sec)

Quick Reply