Apr 22, 2016, 09:47 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

The Big Day

This just popped up on YouTube. A most amazing competition movie set in the Alps. Looks like it could have been part of a Wes Anderson film.

Steve
The big day (21 min 53 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 23, 2016, 03:18 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
What an amazing piece of film! The organisational effort involved is mind boggling. My admiration is divided between the physical prowess of the competitors in trekking up to the starting point, their fatalism in throwing their lovingly created models off a mountain and the feats of daring-do performed by the ski equipped recovery parties.

"Herr Degen", the gentleman with the megaphone who appeared to be in overall charge must surely be Arnold Degen who was prominent in the post war FAI, and in fact was the chief organiser of the first World R/C Championship event in 1960.

A bit of further digging revealed that this Swiss contest was held in 1941 whilst the rest of Europe was preoccupied by rather less pleasant matters.

Certainly a glimpse of another world - but I just wish they had looked as if they were ENJOYING it all more!
Last edited by Sundancer; Apr 23, 2016 at 04:34 PM.
Apr 23, 2016, 07:06 AM
lol...that is really cool, thanks!

Bill
Apr 23, 2016, 07:43 AM
Hey, watch this!
Oh my goodness ! Was this great to watch or what ?

The wedding arch was way cool !

The Ski Car is fascinating.

The soup and sausage make my mouth water.

Note how the female support staff were recognized - but not a single girl in the competition. Good to keep them in their place I always say (except when my wife's around).

Those models were pretty robust. Silk and dope - but what did they use for wood?

Oh how I wish that whole thing could happen today ! But not a chance in heck I'm afraid. Mores the pity.

There's still something regal, majestic, humbling (is that the right word?) about a soaring fee flight model.

Thanks for sharing. I will forward it to a few people I think would appreciate it.
Apr 23, 2016, 08:31 AM
I like real wooden aeroplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr

Those models were pretty robust. Silk and dope - but what did they use for wood?
Pretty much all continental models at this time were built from woods such as spruce, pine etc. Not much, if any. balsa.
Apr 23, 2016, 09:29 AM
Yep, pine, spruce, various veneers etc, was the order of the day at the time.
Several of these designs (at least here in Sweden) survived as kits many years after the war, as many of these models were truly great flyers.
Also, these kits were low priced, compared to balsa designs...

First photo shows M/S Skuld, bringing the first load of balsa to Sweden, in February 1946.
Second pic: A contemporary article ("Balsa is arrived"), fearing ridiculously high balsa prices (which never really was..), also establishing that the rubber has yet to arrive.....

Mlbco: Thanks for posting this truly great film..!!
I fell in love with the "Flash Gordon" ski car...
Last edited by Gluehand; Apr 23, 2016 at 09:38 AM.
Apr 23, 2016, 12:02 PM
I like thermals
Extraordinary! The gas models are fantastic, but my heart is with the gliders and the recovery teams.

And now after watching, I am strangely craving a hearty stew with sausage and some hot tea...
Apr 23, 2016, 07:24 PM
Mind blowing Freeflighting. Thanks for the link.
Apr 24, 2016, 01:37 PM
Great Film. Freeflight sloping.
Apr 25, 2016, 02:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Raymond-leflyr

Hello Raymond, this Models are build from Plywood. This is one of the rules for this competition and also today, for the "Aroser" (the competition is called so today) Plywood-Models only are allowed.
(sorry my poor English)

Best regards from Switzerland
Zöpfli aka chuchichaeschtlituer

P.S. it makes my happy to see that you love the Movie
Apr 25, 2016, 09:41 AM
I'm All Thumbs
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zoepfli
Hello Raymond, this Models are build from Plywood. This is one of the rules for this competition and also today, for the "Aroser" (the competition is called so today) Plywood-Models only are allowed.
(sorry my poor English)

Best regards from Switzerland
Zöpfli aka chuchichaeschtlituer

P.S. it makes my happy to see that you love the Movie
AROSA ? That is what the little boy is covering over (get that kid off the ladder )
Zopfli (sorry, no umlaut), are these competitions still happening?
Can you tell us about the models? Are they built from plans or kits?
Thank You
Jay
P.S. Do I have a computer problem or is this a silent film?
Apr 25, 2016, 11:44 AM
Hello AirBornOne,
Arosa is an Place in the Swiss-Alps, where the contest are located.
https://www.google.ch/maps/place/705...4f0c1d5ee1ca28

The original competion was from 1937 to 1948 every year. Since 1995 its back to life. While the last 20 years are only allowed Plywood Models (with or without RC) build by switzerland-constructors, from this year on (2016) ahead also Plywood-Models from all over the world are welcome.

Unfortunately to day we have only 1% competitors compared to 1941

We have on our Website (ig-albatros.ch) some fotobooks from the last 20 years http://www.ig-albatros.ch/index.php/...rosa-1995-2004

The Models are build by Plans, most of them available also on IG Albatros.

And Jay, your PC is fine - there is no sound

Regards Zöpfli
Apr 25, 2016, 01:24 PM
Zöpfli,
While you are around here, I take the opportunity to post photos of a model, which is (about) contemporary to the models in the Arosa film.
It was given to me a few years ago, and it's entirely made of pine, spruce and plywood.
Wing span is about 1600 mm (63")
This is most likely a build from plan, as figures on ribs etc are hand-written with a graphite pencil.

I'm posting this, in hope of identification, as no one, so far, has recognised the plane.

/Bosse
Apr 26, 2016, 06:30 AM
Hey, watch this!

Oh my goodness !

What a beautiful location !

I followed the Google Earth photos and I can't imagine a more glorious place to enjoy the quiet joy of model sailplanes. Sure wish could fly my Oly II there with you.

Is there a memorial around the tower structure?
Apr 26, 2016, 07:02 AM
So I'M meant to be in control?
A truly amazing piece of film of a fantastically organised competition!

One does wonder just how many models actually survived the retrieval process and made it back to their owners in one piece though!!

Quick Reply