Apr 25, 2016, 09:40 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Now build the tails. If you are building this with the removable wing you need to glass over the center of the horizontal stab with the supplied light glass. Its pretty straight forward, hinge, sand, done.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 25, 2016, 09:51 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Wings come next. We spend a good amount of time on each wing set here pre building the spar/jointer system with jigs to make sure that its true/strong. Once built we also pre install the main spar/jointer on a jig bed to get it perfect. We need to do this because the jointer rod is straight and the 5 degrees of dihedral is in the jointer box. Also we jig cut the root side of the wing to match the 5 degrees so it will later marry perfectly with the fuselage. And of course as with all LEG kits they have fully shaped and sanded leading edges.
Apr 25, 2016, 09:56 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Now prep the wing root plates. Just like the canopy before match and glue in the 1/2" magnets.
Apr 25, 2016, 09:59 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Now get the wing locator pins ready. I sanded the pins and glued in the extra plywood doughnut. Then making sure that the pin is pointed out pressed and glued that to the plate. Note in the pic I have EPP side out. I did not glue the pin on while on the other plate, was just making sure it was the right direction.
Apr 25, 2016, 10:10 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Now pull out the bits of EPP that are left from the burn holes so the plate will set flush with the wing root. I then put a piece of tape over the hole for the wing rod and used 3M90 on both the wing and plate. Let it set for a couple of minutes. While that sets put a drop of Goop in the hole for the pins and behind the magnets. Then attach the plate. Note!!!! Make SURE that you line up the front of the wing to the front of the plate. You get one shot if you do it this way.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:00 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Next take the 10mm X .5mm carbon ribbon and the 1.5mm rods and wipe them off with rubbing alcohol. I used 3m77 spray glue to attach the ribbon to the back of the wing, make sure its lined up perfectly and you should have no sanding for it. Next come the new part. On the plywood wing plate there are 5 notches, 2 on top, 3 on the bottom. Start on the top. Measure the distance from the LE and TE and make a mark 1/2" from the wing tip. Now draw a line and cut 1/8" into the epp with a razor knife. now put some glue into the slits. Starting from the tip push the rod into the epp. TIP!! once you get the rod started just run you finger over the rod down the slit and it will just fall in literally taking a few seconds per rod!! Once in CA glue the rod to the plate. Set back in the wing bed and lightly weight it down, a pair of pliers will do. Let it cure and the repeat for the bottom. Once finished you will have a VERY strong wing and be surprised at how easy it is.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:03 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Glue on the 10mm X 1/4" balsa to the Carbon ribbon on the TE. Glue the shorter piece if balsa on the tip.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:08 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
You will be able to order this 1-26 with or without flaps. I'm building this one without as its gonna live its life out in KS and you have acres to land. Attach the TE to balsa sub trailing edge. Now hinge the ailerons and attach them. Next shape the wingtip. We cut all the balsa here in shop so it all comes pre beveled.
Last edited by legliderman; Apr 25, 2016 at 11:17 AM.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:14 AM
Cape Slope Shark
Oustanding, Jack. Especially like all the pre-fab you are doing for the critical items.

Jan
Apr 25, 2016, 11:20 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Thanks Jan! Now install a servo in the bottom of the wing. I used 15gram mg digi's with a 6" servo extension. I positioned the servo so about 1" of the extension lead was out.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:26 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Not so bad so far.
Last edited by legliderman; Apr 25, 2016 at 11:41 AM.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:36 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Next I propped up the wings to level side to side making sure each wingtip was the same height off the table. If all goes well the tail saddle will be level, adjust if necessary. I used a incidence meter to level the tail, or in this case the plate to the wings. they were both spot on so I then glued the plate on.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:40 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Next I opened up room for the gear in the canopy. I used a razor knife and soldering iron to get it done.
Apr 25, 2016, 11:46 AM
All work and no play
Thread OP
Now its ready for spackling/covering. I'm not going to document this because its been done soooo many times before.
Last edited by legliderman; Jun 13, 2016 at 05:25 PM.
Apr 25, 2016, 12:07 PM
I'm in for one and may I please pick it up at Wilson lake next month?

LP

Quick Reply