Apr 22, 2016, 08:41 PM
All work and no play
Build Log

New LEG 2M 1-26 Sailplane

This is going to serve as the build thread/instructions for the new 1-26 glider. I'm gonna start posting tomorrow so in the mean time....
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2016, 08:58 PM
wondered what happened to that one.
Apr 22, 2016, 08:59 PM
Nice work Jack!

Chance
Apr 25, 2016, 08:01 AM
All work and no play
This kit is very close in construction to most all LEG kits with a few exceptions. First and most notable is the removable 2 piece wing. This will make transport and assembly at the flying site a breeze. Second is the availability to add a custom LEG aerotow release and wheel. Third will be the option to add a removable tail kit. So lets begin.
Last edited by legliderman; Apr 25, 2016 at 08:18 AM.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:12 AM
All work and no play
I'll first cover the new LEG aerotow release kit/construction. This is an all laser cut plywood box that was designed to maximize surface area for gluing into a EPP fuse and also universal enough to be added to any glass fuse for aerotow as well.
First step is lay the right side/side with the servo down and glue in the 2 center pieces that hold the brass tube, also glue it in place now. Next screw in the servo and attach the pushrod. Its precut to length.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:17 AM
All work and no play
Next glue on the left side. Glue the front piece with the tab on new followed by the one without. From there it just falls together. One its glued up carefully go over the joints to make sure its glued securely.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:22 AM
All work and no play
The wheel box is next. Dont forget to add those spacers.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:26 AM
All work and no play
The removable tail option will come with hard plywood inserts pre installed here at LEG.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:32 AM
All work and no play
Now for the fuselage construction. We do alot of prefab on this kits to assure that it will jig together straight and true. The fuselage is pre shaped and the wing plates are jig cut and jig glued to make sure they are perfectly aligned.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:38 AM
All work and no play
The next step is to cut these opening out. In the kit will be a paper template of recommended cutout locations. I'm just gonna let the pics here do the talking.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:45 AM
All work and no play
Once you have the opening cut time to add the carbon tube and pushrod housings. To make sure that the fuse is perfectly straight I tack glue a ruler on edge and then glue in the carbon rod on one side. At this time its best to mark and cut out epp for the rudder. From there mirror image the cutouts to the other side an glue the pushrod housing in place.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:47 AM
All work and no play
Take note: the rudder pushrod needs to be just flush with the opening for where the rudder is gonna glue into the fuse.
Apr 25, 2016, 08:56 AM
All work and no play
Now glue in the 1/4" magnets into the plywood gear tray. I like to put a piece of waxed paper down on the bench to not glue the tray to it. I put the tray down upside down on the paper and press the magnets in so they are flush with the top of the plate, thick CA glue into place. Next on the canopy pull out the little piece of epp left from when we burn the hole. I take the other 4 magnets and lay them on the tray and mark them with a sharpie so I wont glue them in backwards and then Goop them into the canopy.
Apr 25, 2016, 09:14 AM
All work and no play
For the wing servos use 12" extensions and glue them in so only a short amount will come out from the fuse. I didnt have 12" so I glued 2 6" together.
Apr 25, 2016, 09:23 AM
All work and no play
At this point its basically ready to glue the fuselage together. Test fit the sides again to make sure they line up perfectly, this is very important for the wings. If you are building this with the aerotow release this is where its glued in. Now I taped off a few areas that I didnt want glue to get and used 3M77 on both sides and quickly stuck them together. If you use 77 and do it quik you have a minute to make sure that both side are perfect. Use every point of the fuse as a reference, the tail, servo bay cut out, top/bottom to make sure this a perfectly glued up. I then put a few pieces of tape on it and set it aside for a bit to cure. Once cured glue the servo tray into place.
Last edited by legliderman; Apr 25, 2016 at 11:24 AM.

Quick Reply