Jul 21, 2016, 04:49 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
If a few individuals would like one of the Aires Sharp or Aires Ultra DLG's, one made by me personally, let me know. I Might make a few "Raw" kits. Raw meaning, all the molded parts will not be trimmed and the flapron slots will not be milled. You'd have to trim and sand all the carbon-weave to shape, cut the flaprons yourself, since it would just be pulled from the mold and packaged up.. I guess I would put together a set of instructions and templates to aid in that. So, the kit would include the wings, pod, tail-boom, tail feathers, and graphite parts. Servo's can be ordered from hobbyking.. You can go about the assembly using my suggestions or maybe do it a better way, depending on your skill level.. So, PM me in regards to that. And once again, the lead time will be quite a while. 2-3 months. Any orders can be cancelled if the wait is too long and refunded. If for some reason I am unable to complete your order, I'll of course refund you your money.

The Aires Ultra is really just a bigger version of the Aires sharp. It's about a 30" wing span and has a longer chord length.. A final prototype has not be tested yet, but I already know it's going to do exceptionally well..

So, PM me if interested with your info and I'll write it down.....

Robert
Last edited by RHX138; Jul 21, 2016 at 05:02 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2016, 05:20 PM
Wandering IT geek
I'd love one but the work you're describing to get the kit to finished is well beyond my skill level. I'll join the queue of folks who will wait as patiently as possible for a production product

...it is wonderful of you to offer this and I'm very envious of those who have the skills to take you up on your offer!!!
Jul 22, 2016, 11:41 AM
RHX138
Thread OP
EPO foam injection molded pod concept...
Jul 28, 2016, 08:23 PM
RHX138
Thread OP

First Aires Sharp V2 Wings with New Airfoils Demolded..

Here is the fist set of wings for the Aires Sharp V2 with the new wings and airfoils sets.

They came out pretty good of all the molded wings I've done. I cut the TE of the foam cores, as was suggested, about .0625" shorter.

They will be finished and tested soon..

They are longer then the original wing so I can play with the wing span..

New set of the original wings are in the pics for comparison..
Jul 28, 2016, 08:40 PM
RHX138
Thread OP

Aires Ultra New molds and sligher newer wing completed using the modified 3040T

Getting ready to make a new set of Aires Ultra Wings, as I had problems with the first mold and it's design, but mostly accuracy issues using the Zenbot.. These took too long to make.. About a total of 16 hours of machine time..

Buy a machine with ball screws, so you can avoid some of these issues..

I am buying a 6040 CNC machine with ball screws and a 24,000 RPM spindle..

I think this will make life a lot easier when I get it setup and running..

These wings use the same new airfoils I designed for the above post. Same airfoils as the Aires Sharp V2 wing..
Jul 30, 2016, 10:29 PM
RHX138
Thread OP

Aires Ultra Prototype Pod Complete..

Aires Ultra Prototype Pod Almost complete. Came out quite nice for now. Still having trouble with the inflation bladder technique so I did it differently this time just to get it done so I have a prototype ready to test soon.

I will redo the pod mold in 3 parts next time so I can make the side hatch as well as create the wing seat..

But I'm quite happy with this pod.
Jul 30, 2016, 10:47 PM
Very slippery shape of the fuselage, in the drawings it shows a fairly blunt nose, just wondering if that is the actual shape
Jul 30, 2016, 10:50 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ndanger
Very slippery shape of the fuselage, in the drawings it shows a fairly blunt nose, just wondering if that is the actual shape
The images could having lighting issues playing tricks. The CAD pics and the real world pod should only have a difference of .003 - .005" tolerance difference..
Jul 30, 2016, 10:53 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
Yes, it has a blunt nose.. That is the design intention..
Jul 30, 2016, 11:02 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
Blunt nose seems a bit safer..
Last edited by RHX138; Jul 30, 2016 at 11:05 PM. Reason: inaccurate information
Jul 31, 2016, 08:35 AM
Wayne Wimbish
Hi Robert,

I have been very impressed with how your Sharp and Ultra have been coming along. Have you considered making a 1 meter version? That seems to be a really growing section of the hand launch crowd.

Wayne
Latest blog entry: Paying for Purchases by PayPal
Jul 31, 2016, 01:44 PM
Intriguing design, I am looking forward to see the progress.
Jul 31, 2016, 03:04 PM
DLG Fan
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHX138
Aires Ultra Prototype Pod Almost complete. Came out quite nice for now.
But I'm quite happy with this pod.
Incredible work. Thanks for posting
Jul 31, 2016, 09:53 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by wdwimbish
Hi Robert,

I have been very impressed with how your Sharp and Ultra have been coming along. Have you considered making a 1 meter version? That seems to be a really growing section of the hand launch crowd.

Wayne
The 1m version is in the works. In fact I already cut wing molds for it. It is known as the Nano Spec Ultra..
Jul 31, 2016, 10:09 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
I'll post photos soon. but the new Aires Ultra wings with their new molds came out perfect, after hundreds of dollars of carbon weave and failed molds, I finally got it just right... There must be thousands of dollars in expenses to get these prototypes made.. Not to mention thousands of hours. But it's all coming together.

Making the parts gets easier and easier..

I'd like to finish the Aires Ultra, get it fully tested with documentation and setup to take a couple of orders a month since getting this one financed for any mass production is unlikely. However, after Lex fly's the Aires Ultra he may consider this one as well.. But it might be to much to get 2 DLG's made in terms of time, money, and other things, so, I plan to setup to take orders for the Aires Ultra here and there..

As I perfect the techniques and processes for making them they go much quicker over time and it becomes more realistic to produce them.

What would be nice is to find a part time assistant I can pay, who lives near Canyon Country, who'd like to come on their own hours and make parts from time to time.. That would make the process of making these available much more realistic. And if all works out, they could take the molds and just make wings from home, and get really good at it. So, if anyone knows someone looking for easy fun work that needs some extra cash, that lives out here please PM me. I have a couple college students interested but they do not have building experience..

Quick Reply