May 21, 2016, 11:35 PM
RHX138
Thread OP

New Aires Sharp wing moving foward..

Here are the pics of the mold. The Airfoils will remain proprietary for now. I hope to improve overall performance. The original wing was using the flaprons at 80%, out of concern of servo strength. The new wing will use 70% or 30% from the TE.

The airfoils looked good in XFLR5. Good launch, High L/D for launch, and overall a more stable L/D along a wide AOA and slower M/S for a hopefully better sink rate in cruse and thermal mode..

Here are the first molds. The thinner mold was a mistake and will be redone tomorrow. All molds will probably be redone in the next 2 weeks. A new pod mold to seat the wing in the proper mounting angle is hoped to be machined tomorrow..

Thanks.
to remove ads between posts
May 22, 2016, 06:26 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rofly
Robert,

Thanks to Lex I had the opportunity to fly the bird at the IHLGF. It was in gusty Poway breezes, perhaps not ideal for this little gal, but she did just fine. Excellent penetration, with the ability to move around at will, with no sign of tip stalling or other ugly traits.

Great job sir! Keep up the good work...

Dick
I'm glad you got a chance to fly it. I was hoping you would.

I hope the newer wing will be an improvement to something that is already doing pretty good..
May 22, 2016, 09:56 PM
Come out swinging
I flew it a little also. It flies nice. It would probably make a really good poly glide as well. Nice work.

Sean
May 23, 2016, 03:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thermaln2
The wing is covered with CF matt, the fuselage is an eggshell of 30 g/m2 carboweave, the boom is CF and looks like a freeflight TLG boom, and the tails are sheet covered with CF matt.
Chris:
Are you certain the wings and stabs are covered in matte? I thought they were covered in carboweave?

-Dave
May 23, 2016, 10:42 PM
Transplant Chey WY from Reno
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap_n_Dave
Chris:
Are you certain the wings and stabs are covered in matte? I thought they were covered in carboweave?

-Dave
I thought I recalled Lex saying matt, but the pic show carboweave, so I agree.
May 24, 2016, 01:09 AM
Team Crunch Brothers
Carbon matt for the tails; carboweave on the wings.

Not sure if I should blame your ears, or my mouth :-)
May 27, 2016, 05:21 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
The first one is carbon veil. The second one is CW20 carbon weave for the tails..
May 27, 2016, 05:46 PM
RHX138
Thread OP

Aires Sharp V2 Moving Along.........

I think the pictures say everything...

This was my first attempt at making a bladder inflated molded pod..

Just finished milling the mold for the hatch that you will see in the CAD renderings. So, the next pod I make will have a CNC molded Hatch that is already cured before going into the mold..

It's coming along. A few set backs slowed things down but. It will work out.

New CNC machine, of a great step up in quality, to be purchased soon, will speed up everything and assure accurate molds and parts.

Rudder was extended along the chord, as was suggested by some at the IHLGF..
May 28, 2016, 12:08 AM
looking up, down under
what's with the oblique servo orientation ? ?

looking great !
May 28, 2016, 05:34 AM
Cloudrider
Quote:
Originally Posted by RHX138
I think the pictures say everything...

This was my first attempt at making a bladder inflated molded pod..

Just finished milling the mold for the hatch that you will see in the CAD renderings. So, the next pod I make will have a CNC molded Hatch that is already cured before going into the mold..

It's coming along. A few set backs slowed things down but. It will work out.

New CNC machine, of a great step up in quality, to be purchased soon, will speed up everything and assure accurate molds and parts.

Rudder was extended along the chord, as was suggested by some at the IHLGF..
More great work Robert! What spec CNC Machine did you eventually decide to go for?

Paul UK
May 28, 2016, 07:24 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
This is the new cnc machine I will be getting maybe next month. No rush, as I'm going to have an electrician supply my garage with a 28 -30amp breaker and the routing of the thicker gauge wire so I have enough juice for everything I'm doing in my work space,,

There are 2 versions. I might go with the servo motor version.

http://www.automationtechnologiesinc...-x-36-x-6-inch

KL 6090 desktop CNC Video (1 min 11 sec)
May 28, 2016, 07:28 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by scruffy1
what's with the oblique servo orientation ? ?looking great !
The 2 servos are angled for the pull pull cables directly to and through the tail-boom..
May 28, 2016, 07:37 PM
RHX138
Thread OP
I've decided it's time to speed things up and am going to make a vacuum table dedicated to milling the foam cores as accurately as I can with my Zenbot. Have not made one before but I'm sure this will work.. It's milled out of .75" MDF board. Bought a small shop vac for it..

I need to insure I get the thickness right and am probably going to end up over time dedicating my Zenbot to milling Aires Sharp wing cores..

It's still being thought out. I will be making seats for the tails as well..

So, the first batch of wing cores will be machined from the top without the vacuum table. After that I'll be able to take that pile of top milled cores seat them into position, hit start and keep doing that every 15-20 mins as I work on other things.

Hopefully in time, and sooner then later I'll be able to simply ship out the wing cores to the company or individuals, Lex finds, to do the composite work with my molds..

The goal is to have CW30 carbon weave turned into prepreg, but hopefully that will be in someone else s hands to figure out..

Robert
Last edited by RHX138; May 28, 2016 at 07:44 PM.
May 29, 2016, 02:42 AM
Rick Rogahn
Couple things to note, you don't need a ton of vacuum if you have a good seal on the bottom of the board. I actually have a good number of hold-down bolts around the edges of mine as I use a smaller vacuum as well. You'll also want hold downs in the center areas of your vac boards as well if you are using MDF. When you are using an accurate tool, it makes it so much easier to see the flaws when they occur. MDF will never sit flat (sorry). But it's cheap and easy to cut which is why I use it as well. That split down the middle worries me a bit though.

The bottoms of your vac board don't need a ton of air space, you really only need a channel that connects each of your port holes. Yes, that will make it a little less efficient (it's air and the more surface, the more drag, just like a wing), but you will have more of the board in contact with the surface hopefully less flex / bending w/ the MDF and more places to create anchors to your waste board.

Also, not sure what your experience is w/ CNC, but make sure your waste board is perfectly flat, do a 1mm pass over the whole thing before cutting anything and do the same with the bottom of the vac boards before cutting the channels

Don't want to be all critical , it's looking great guys and am enjoying the progress.
Last edited by Endless Sloper; May 29, 2016 at 02:52 AM. Reason: blah blah
May 29, 2016, 07:15 AM
Robert here is again my two cents.
Side hatch has two negatives: it makes the radio installation a pain in the you know what and it is harder to mold. Instead i would go back to the top hatch simple pod with a plywood pannel in front of the wing to receive the end of the boom and support the peg of the wing. Simple to do reliable easy access to the radio battery etc.
I would not crisscross the aileron push-rods.
For the vacuum table think of instead of making that to all your parts make a table with the air channels and place inserts on top of it. You should have enough surface to do both sides of the wing in a single insert. Just flip flop the insert.

Quick Reply