Esprit Model Opale Paramotor Hybrid 1.8 - RCG Review - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales

Esprit Model Opale Paramotor Hybrid 1.8 - RCG Review

Here is a totally different way to fly RC! The Esprit Model Opal paramotor is a great addition to your RC hangar!

Splash

The Opale Paramotor Hybrid 1.8 From Esprit

Jason Cole has been flying paragliders/paramotors for around a year now. I'll see him break one out at the field or in the evenings at a flying event and wish I had one to fly in tandem with him. The good news is thanks to the new paraglider line at Esprit Model my paraglider dream has come true!

ZB just recently picked up the Opale line of paragliders and paramotors. Opale was created in 2009 by two engineers. The company was a pioneer in the RC paraglider market. Their creations are made on the banks of the Channel to Boulogne-sur-Mer.

Esprit Model Opale Paramotor Hybrid 1.8 - RCGroups (11 min 18 sec)

Opale Paramtor Hybrid 1.8/3m Combo Package

The first question you might have is what is needed to put a paraglider together? Esprit has all the items you need (and pricing) listed on page of the paraglider you decide to purchase.

The Wing

The hybrid 1.8 wing has single skin and double skin technology. This wing inflates easy, penetrates well in strong winds, and maintains a better profile for increased performance. It is a consistent and stable flyer.

• Weight range : 1.4kg/5km/h, 1.8kg/10km/h, 2.4kg/15km/h, 2.8kg/20km/h (Flying Weight/Wind Speed)
  • Wingspan : 118" (3000mm)
  • Wing area : 1.8 sg.m
  • Wing cells : 23
  • Aspect ratio : 5

Paramotor Backpack

The M2 is an aluminum body designed to protect your equipment, pilot, harness, and cameras. The risers attach to a separate arm that bolts to the main frame for rigidity. The M2 features an anti-torque prop ring to eliminate propeller torque. Hold down tabs are also incorporated into the backpack to secure your pilot and harness while in flight.

• Suggested power: 350W - 800W (2700 3S - 4S)
  • Max propeller size: 10" (254mm)
  • Empty weight: 1 1/4 lbs. (570g)
  • Max flying weight: 7 3/4 lbs. (3500g)

The Pilot

This pilot is perfect for the Hybrid 1.8 wing. "Max" is a high-strength resin pilot figure that comes complete with two arms, pilot body, pilot suit, flying harness, and ballast set. The suit and harness give it nice realism. Batteries and ballast both fit inside of the harness and the servos fit inside the Max pilot body.

Included:

• (1) Pilot Max w/Suit
  • (1) Harness Set
  • (2) High Torque Servos
  • (2) Steel Buckles 4mm
  • (1) Ballast Set
  • (1) Hardware Package

Power System and Extras

Paramodel Electronic Servo Mixer

This radio mixer allows you to operate the paraglider without the need for a complex radio system. To operate the brakes, the arms need to be at rest in the top position with the input sticks in the centered position. Some transmitters will not allow for this complex function so the mixer does it for you. It handles the end of the travel and braking all together, all on one stick. The Opale paramodel electronic servo mixer works with all radio systems.

Photos

Flying Thoughts

I really had no idea what to expect from this unit. I didn't even know how to launch it! I'm betting many of you may be in the same boat so be sure to check out our video. Jason Cole is a paramotor expert (he has even flown in the Alps with one). In our video we go over how to launch, how to fly, how to land and how to fold your wing up for transport.

My first launch wasn't pretty but it jumped into the air without an issue. It didn't take long to get used to it. Then Jason showed me how he launches and did some mild aerobatics. I landed it on the aluminum skid. Jason flew it to himself, flared and caught the thing!

There is a lot of "WOW" factor with this unit. It looks very scale in the air. Pilots at the field stopped what they were doing to watch it fly and ask questions. Another great thing about paragliders and paramtors is the wing can be huge but it folds up into a small bag. That makes transport super easy. The main question was, "do the lines get tangled up?" The fear is that you will end up with one big knot. That is impossible since the lines are all connected. There is no way to create a bunch of knots. It might twist up but it is very easy to untwist the lines.

Our next stop is Joe Nall and I'm excited to get this out in some low wind evening flying. We might even mount some LED flashlights on it for some night flying.

If you are looking for a unique RC experience that is easy to transport, looks big in the air and is easy to learn, this is just the thing. I think it is triple cool!

Essential Links

Old Apr 26, 2016, 10:52 AM
PontiusPilate
A moderator felt this post violated the following rule: Off Topic Advertisement.
Apr 26, 2016, 05:24 PM
14s 180mah should be enough...
Can't wait to see it at Nall, Jim! Great write up!
Latest blog entry: Intro..a few years to late!
May 05, 2016, 12:13 PM
oh Daddy gonna need to get em one of dem! Very cool!
Latest blog entry: Building Season
May 05, 2016, 12:16 PM
RC Paraglider / Sailplanes
I've seen this wing fly first hand in Quebec and it's real winner.
May 06, 2016, 06:41 PM
Very cool
May 09, 2016, 04:39 AM
Soaring Fanatic!
Great introduction to the Opalé Hybrid Jim & Jason!
Would love to see more footage of acrobatics with this one
May 09, 2016, 09:08 AM
Admin Deluxe
It is headed to Joe Nall with us so I'll grab some video if we start getting crazy!