This thread is privately moderated by Crunchy Frog, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Nov 15, 2016, 11:53 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boomer1
Eddie
Did you buy the boat in the picture from Ed Morales? Ed sails out if Singapore. There a several other pictures of it in early discussions on the forum about these boats
This thread is a discussion on suggestions for a first boat.
Since these haven't be made since the mid 90's the possibility of getting one as a first boat would be wonderful but would require a minor miracle.
Do you still have your boat? I have two of them.
Actually it is my favorite.
Boomer
Yes , thats me, lost my old password, so new screen name
to remove ads between posts
Nov 17, 2016, 11:58 PM

4th Sailboat Victoria 2008

Thunder Tiger Victoria
Nov 17, 2016, 11:59 PM

5th RC Sailboat 2009

IOM Class Stealth MK2
Nov 28, 2016, 10:08 PM
Proboat Regazza
Nov 29, 2016, 06:51 AM
Years ago, like 30+ years ago as a kid I built a home designed boat out of cardboard coated with polyester resin. Kind of copied my 16' dingy. Sailed like crap!
Had an aluminum arrow shaft for a mast and rip stop nylon for sails. Used a Cox/Sanwa 3 channel radio.
It was 24" long, had an unballasted 1/8" mahogany door skin keel/centreboard. Loaded the bottom of the hull with lead shot and resin.
Nov 29, 2016, 11:22 AM
Boomer1
It would seen the thread's focus has drifted. The topic was "which sailboat to get you started in RC sailing".
We have a very active thread to post pictures of your favorite sailboats.
My suggestion is that if you have a suggestion, include photos and information on the boat and why you like it as a first or starter boat.
Just saying, just posting pictures doesn't bring much to help those looking for direction.
Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Dec 01, 2016 at 10:09 AM.
Dec 01, 2016, 04:32 AM
Useful Idiot
Feb 04, 2017, 09:07 AM
for learning the rc laser is a good tough boat it has 4 sail sizes for different winds and all fits into a carry bag. it sets up in about 3 minutes look at intensity sails for the boat. 22,000 of them in use now
Feb 07, 2017, 02:19 AM
my first rcsailboat is micromagic530, the 2nd is 65 ,and now my first IOM one is GOTH(made by master wen)!
Feb 16, 2017, 02:06 PM
look at the rc laser about 400 on ebay you can get four sales for wind condition , light fast to assemble fun to sail
Feb 17, 2017, 09:38 PM
Modeler/ Historian
I started off with a Kyosho Fairwind, next a Sea wind.... I then immersed myself in RC Submarines, returning to sail with a Robbie Atlantis Schooner. I am now working at finishing a Canterbury J. I wish I sill had the Fairwind though.... Point is, I think the Fairwind was the best all around beginners boat, especially in kit form. Since its demise, I would have to go with the Victoria, and also the Seawind. I think the RC Laser is a fine boat, but, for my money I would go with Victoria. I think it important for the novice to be introduced to Main and Jib tuning and control early on. Victoria is ideal for that.
Last edited by Stephen Vick; Feb 17, 2017 at 09:50 PM.
Mar 03, 2017, 05:03 AM
Malibu

My First Boat

1.8 mt Monsoon was my first sailboat, 18 mnths ago, still fun.
Mar 08, 2017, 03:46 PM
I am looking at both the Micro Magic and the Nirvana. I like the Nirvana because of it's size and I can get one for a very good price but I like the Micro Magic both because I can build it (I love to build airplane kits) and because it is a 3 channel system with an additional trim servo for the jib that makes it more like real sailing.
May 17, 2017, 04:31 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgburrill
I am looking at both the Micro Magic and the Nirvana. I like the Nirvana because of it's size and I can get one for a very good price but I like the Micro Magic both because I can build it (I love to build airplane kits) and because it is a 3 channel system with an additional trim servo for the jib that makes it more like real sailing.
These are two fine boats, but very different. The MM is 21" long, the Nirvana is 32 " long. The MM can be purchased as a kit or almost ready to sale. An issue you face is the Nirvana is no longer in production. They do come up for sale on occasion, but go quickly. Have to be monitoring the classifieds here and e-bay to score one.

I listed a few other options for you to consider:
DF 65 25.7" and a very good sailing boat - Attractively priced - comes in several configurations - with or without radios
He also offers a larger version the DF 95 - an amazing boat- well priced and sails with the best of them.
Contact Chuck at https://radiosailing.net/

CR 914 36" outstanding rough water sailor. Comes in kit form or in various stages of completion. Contact Dave at http://www.rcyachts.com/

Seawind 1 meter ready set - time tested boats. Sold at a number of online stores including Tower Hobbies come factory complete with radio. Here's a link to Tower Hobbies: http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin...&I=LXFPKA&P=ML

If you like building kits there are good choices from Tippecanoe and Victor Models - all are on a list at the top of this form.
http://www.tippecanoeboats.com/
http://www.victor-model.com/

I have a DF65, Micro Magic, Nirvana, Seawind, CR 914 and some others and love them all! Like the man once said "so many boats, so little time"

If you have any specific questions just post them or shoot me a PM

Boomer
Last edited by Boomer1; Aug 04, 2017 at 11:39 AM.

Quick Reply