This thread is privately moderated by Crunchy Frog, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jul 28, 2016, 04:28 PM
The price on that Affinity does make it hard to not buy one....
to remove ads between posts
Aug 21, 2016, 12:20 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by HobbyKing John
The HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht would make a great first timers RC Yacht and continue to provide growth potential for the newbie through intermediate to Pro levels of racing.

The Affinity is now available in all Hobbyking Warehouses via the link below

Happy Sailing Guys.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...earch=Affinity
It's basically a Dragon force rg65 but the hull is slightly different. the rig is the same too, but what i like is that it looks that it's sells at a lower price and has mylar sails or at least they look like mylar but much better than the silly dragon scheme, i prefer simple.
Aug 22, 2016, 10:11 AM
Boomer1
I have both a Dragon Force 65 and an Affinity RG 65. Both boats can be raced in the RG 65 class, only the DF 65 can be raced in the DF 65 class.
The Affinity has a slightly larger "A" sail area which means they are not acceptable to the DF 65 rules as replacement sails in that class.
The AFFINITY has a tad wider beam than the DF 65. As has been reported the AFFINITY began it's life as the Explorer rebranded and improvement as AFFINITY. The support and service provided by Dragon Force dealers is a major selling point to consider.
The boats are identical in quality, the issue of the quality of the sail fabric being an advantage if true it would be so minut it would be very hard to prove.
The AFFINITY does come with two sets of sails (A and B) which is a nice feature.
The AFFINITY is sold as a plug and play, the DF 65 is offered with or without out a radio.
Bottom line = if you want to race in the DF 65 class there's only one choice. If you don't care about that, or the benefits a dedicated dealer can make, it becomes a personal choice on the boat's appearance. The performance aspect be very subtle, in my view is more likely in the hands of the skipper'skills than the design of the boat.

Boomer

Added a few pictures for the sake of comparison. The Affinity is clearly wider than the DF65. Both are the same length.
Last edited by Boomer1; Sep 07, 2016 at 07:36 PM.
Oct 02, 2016, 05:50 PM
Hello. I am new to RC sailing. I followed the link above for the Affinity RG65. It says I will need to get a 2 channel transmitter receiver. Can someone give me a suggestion of what to get? The suggested one on the page is a 6 channel system (Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver (Mode 2)).
Oct 02, 2016, 07:13 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by DamianK
Hello. I am new to RC sailing. I followed the link above for the Affinity RG65. It says I will need to get a 2 channel transmitter receiver. Can someone give me a suggestion of what to get? The suggested one on the page is a 6 channel system (Turnigy TGY-i6 AFHDS Transmitter and 6CH Receiver (Mode 2)).
Here ya go! $59 nice radio does everything you need and comes with a matched receiver. Go to: radiosailing.net or call Chuck at 214 284 7164. Easy to program, good price, good service.
Here's the deal, if you buy the DF65 you get a decent radio with the boat! As I mentioned in a previous post, I have both boats and while I like them both, the DF65 is more popular by far. More folks have them and that means it is easier to find folks to race. I ordered a white hull DF65 from Chuck and am very happy with it. I am giving my Affinity to my soon to be son in law so he has something to use when I visit him. Not suggesting one is better than the other just saying there's a lot DF 65s out there. Talk with Chuck, he's very knowledgeable and takes good care of his customers. You might consider the big brother to the DF 65 the DF95 - really an amazing boat!
Boomer

https://radiosailing.net/collections...-ia6b-receiver
Last edited by Boomer1; Oct 02, 2016 at 07:35 PM.
Oct 14, 2016, 03:26 PM
I did not find this thread until after I had purchased a DF95 as my first RC Sailboat. This thread is full of great info and should give a new enthusiast plenty of ideas on which boat is best for them. Maybe it was thorough research on my part that led me to choose the DF95 or maybe it was just good luck. Whichever, I am very pleased with my choice.

However, now I am intrigued with the idea of building a boat, but wanting something different, I am considering the Bearospace Schooner Irene. I have invested much time researching this wonderful boat. There is a thread on this website for this lovely Schooner.

My compliments to RC Groups.com for such an in depth website. I am 69 years old and wish I were 30 years younger to participate in so many RC choices. And compliments to Crunchy Frog for starting such a valuable thread. To all the newbies, Trust these Folks.....they know their stuff.
Oct 22, 2016, 10:54 AM
OceanCityDave

Ignorant Newbie

I just found this site and this group. I am very pleased but feel obviously out of place even asking something. Good grief it is obvious you folks are the real thing!

I got hooked by a neighbor and we got a couple of Victorias - they are great and we are developing a lot of interest at the pond where we are sailing. What site should we refer folks to that are just interested in getting started?

And recently I wound up with a University Club with non working electronics and a missing hatch - is it junk or can anyone suggest a possible way to make it pond worthy again?
Oct 22, 2016, 12:01 PM
Fly-Crash-Rebuild-Repeat
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog
What about a sailboat with a motor and propeller to get back to the shore when there's no wind?

Don't. Just don't. There's no such thing as a well performing sailboat that also has a motor and a prop. And I've been sailing years, and I've never had trouble getting back to the dock. RC sailboats will move even in the lightest of light winds - as long as there is something. The one caveat is if you sail in a strong current you might want to arrange for a canoe or rowboat on standby, in case the wind shuts off. But this still doesn't allow you to buy a sailboat with a motor/prop. If you want one of those, you need to switch over to the motorboat section of this forum.
I wouldn't discount this type of sailboat entirely. I bought one of those as my first sailboat, the HobbyKing Discovery II. I know it's not the greatest thing out there, but I've been happy with it. I've had to use the motor a couple times after getting stuck in pond weeds (as a new sailor) where the only way out was to back up.
Last edited by Rogue_Pilot; Oct 22, 2016 at 12:06 PM.
Oct 22, 2016, 01:18 PM
Boomer1
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdavid69
I just found this site and this group. I am very pleased but feel obviously out of place even asking something. Good grief it is obvious you folks are the real thing!

I got hooked by a neighbor and we got a couple of Victorias - they are great and we are developing a lot of interest at the pond where we are sailing. What site should we refer folks to that are just interested in getting started?

And recently I wound up with a University Club with non working electronics and a missing hatch - is it junk or can anyone suggest a possible way to make it pond worthy again?

Good show mate! Victoria's are a good boats and have stood the test of time. They are still being actively raced in clubs around the planet.
I owned a Victoria and enjoyed it for years.
Have you ever noticed how similar in appearance they are to the very popular CR 914? The CR914 has a little brother the CR610 (24") which is a clone of the 914 - out of production for a while. All look very similar in appearance.

As for how to make the University Club boat "pond worthy" again,
my first inclination is to suggest taking it to place that recycles plastic and drop it off.

Seriously, it depends on what it is missing, A servo for it would be cheap enough. I couldn't find any really good pictures of the boat but what I see, it appears you might be able to make a simple flat hatch cover out of a sheet of ABS - found at most hobby shops. You could fashion a seal out of weather stripping from a hardware store.
Have to see the actual boat to figure out a way to secure the hatch to prevent it from leaking. It could be possible. Depends on how much time and $$ you want to invest in a "dead horse".

Boomer
Nov 01, 2016, 07:36 AM
the best boat to get into Rc wise is the boat that is active as a fleet locally to you. to have local knowledge of that boat will help you past any issues that may come up and honestly to sail with others in racing or just fun with similar boats is a good thing.
Nov 01, 2016, 10:04 AM
Boomer1
Sadly there are more areas that don't have sailboat clubs than do. It is a great suggestion if you are in an area that has a club you can avail yourself of. If not boat selection takes on a different path.
Sailing conditions should always be factored into a good choice. Budget is important. There are many boats but the right choice should fit your budget. Quality is always important. Getting the best boat for your money makes sense.
I have learned much of what I know about radio sailing right here on this great forum. Reading about the boats , asking questions and getting help from the more experienced sailors has been terrific.
A little personal research goes a long way to making the best choice.
Nov 12, 2016, 03:03 AM
my first RC Sailboat, Kyosho Seadolphin 1999
Nov 15, 2016, 09:41 PM

my 2nd rc sailboat

Tamiya Yamaha Round The World Whitbread 60
Nov 15, 2016, 10:35 PM
Boomer1
Eddie
Did you buy the boat in the picture from Ed Morales? Ed sails out if Singapore. There a several other pictures of it in early discussions on the forum about these boats
This thread is a discussion on suggestions for a first boat.
Since these haven't be made since the mid 90's the possibility of getting one as a first boat would be wonderful but would require a minor miracle.
Do you still have your boat? I have two of them.
Actually it is my favorite.
Boomer
Nov 15, 2016, 10:50 PM

my 3rd rc sailboat

Highlander IOM from NZ 2001