This thread is privately moderated by Crunchy Frog, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 26, 2016, 02:00 PM
Bump

Anyone know who the moderator is? I was hoping this could be made a sticky.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2016, 06:12 AM
I would like to add a footy here. It was my first boat and is going strong. Great fun and a very steap learning curve about all aspects from boat design, building techniques, sail making, and sailing.
Great fun and will not break the bank.
May 03, 2016, 12:00 PM
Today is a good day to fly
Well done, CF! Agreed, this would be proper sticky material. Just a thought, but it may well depend on one's inclination to experiment or tinker with a boat to extract the maximum performance, or not. You have to ask yourself, do I want to fleet race, have a scale yacht, or just go out and relax on a sunny day? Of course, match racing is an option, however it doesn't seem to have much interest, at least around here anyway. Clubs are a great way to get involved and learn the ropes, and fleet racing is great. When we started, there wasn't much information available, today one can find many sources for information. Learning how and why a sailboat works is the first step, and for the total novice, it may well be time well spent, solo on the water learning just the basics before attempting to enter in any regatta, Again, with help from your local bunch, one can progress much faster.
May 17, 2016, 11:38 PM
My first boat as a young kid was a Vic. Got me into the hobby and was great fun to build and eventually upgrade as time went on. Size was manageable, price wasn't horrible and you learned concepts of sailing and rig sail design in the process of upgrading it. I came from a big boat/ junior sailing background so the upgrades came quick. Now a days I would say the df65 would likely be the entry level boat to get if getting on the water is priority #1 and not concerned with actually building from a kit. I intend to get my wife one if she gets interested enough in sailing, she always enjoyed stick time on the Vic until it was lost in a roll over accident last year after almost two decades of use :-/ I could see a footy kit, if one exists, being a good first boat to but at least for me the extremely small size would drive me up the wall, I feel like they would be really touchy though I've never had stick time on one so couldn't really say for sure.
Jun 07, 2016, 01:03 PM
Mods? Hello? Bueller? Anybody home?

Does this forum even have any mods?
Jun 07, 2016, 03:58 PM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
Bump

Anyone know who the moderator is? I was hoping this could be made a sticky.
Press the yellow triangle "report" ikon and choose stick/unstick the post. Do it for post nš. 1.
Jun 07, 2016, 04:02 PM
Useful Idiot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crunchy Frog View Post
Mods? Hello? Bueller? Anybody home?

Does this forum even have any mods?
Mods olnly act if a post is reported by a member, usually when someone's been a naughty boy. As were all little angels ...
Jun 07, 2016, 06:46 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by martin richards View Post
Press the yellow triangle "report" ikon and choose stick/unstick the post. Do it for post nš. 1.
Thanks MR, that appears to have worked.
Jun 08, 2016, 08:03 PM
Boomer1
Gents,
I am not sure how many times I've contributed to the question of "which boat? I've read most of the other posts made on this topic over the years and have concluded many of the opinions and suggestions shared are all well intended but tend to over think the question.

Key factors are the budget and the taste of the buyer. If money is not an issue, dream big! If it is, like for many of us, then common sense limits choice. A person should like the boat they are going to start with, meaning it should appeal to them visually and functionally. This goes a long way to having a good first experience.

I think if a Lad or Las are interested in trying radio sailing, they should give it a go! Heck, I got started with a Nirvana and a Monsoon. Here I am more than 24 boats later and still want more

What boat get you start is not all that important. Getting started around other enthusiast can really make a difference.

Most everything that gets shared in these dialogs is good information.

In closing, I submit it is important to stay away from known loser boats that don't sail properly.
Jun 08, 2016, 08:25 PM
Boomer........time to start that list. Might make more sense to wade through the dogs, than a bigger list of acceptable sailing designs. Just a thought. Also tuff to maintain adding new ones and relegating others to the bad dog list as they age. Then contending with class boats vs non class ones.
Jun 14, 2016, 04:25 PM
I walked then shortly after I sailed... ok a bit fast time warp but not that fast I started sailing at 7. So I was always around boats and RC boats were there too but only as a spectator until I was in my late teenage years...
bought a plan, bought the wood to build it and I had all the will in the world for a short time then as the built got tricky I stopped... I just wanted to sail and go from there... so a good few years later I started building again... this time a Mini40 as the class started to take shape in France with 3 simple rules sail area of 90dm2 if I remember correctly, the boat had to fit in a square of 1.2x1.2m and only 2 channels for the radio... Yes that simple!

But again couldn't wait so this time I bought one second hand and still have it btw... a Cobra for the multis afficionados around. it was a replica attempt at the 60 footers of the time like fujicolour, primagaz, groupe pierre premier etc... great but heavy and it had a nasty habit of triping over its floats yes the lack of volume forward made the leeward float go down and the whole boat flipping over in the gusts.

Love the multis - always have. I know have a replica of Jet Service II of 1.7m with wing mast and drawn the plan of a 2m trimarans but didn't get to build it yet.

Busy with the IOM and RA Class which I find particularly attracting and very much enjoy sailing as contrary to IOM or RG or M boats which tacks on its spot not an A class and try to bear away at the W mark before you sheet out good luck to you... much more like sailing a full size boat.
Jun 16, 2016, 06:10 PM

Try not to overthink this.......

My first real rc sailboat was a 26'' BLACKHAWK made by VICTOR MODEL PRODUCTS that I bought off of EBAY [$40 ] . It was my reintroduction into rc boats.It was used & already assembled. I purposely bought one that did`t have any electronics or servos installed ,as I wanted to learn how it worked. With the help of my local hobby shop I was able to install the proper servos and electronics. It was a great learning experience.I took it to a pond and off it went. I still have this boat and it is my favorite when I just don`t feel like schlepping a larger or heavier one to the pond!
I highly suggest that you start small and cheap and see if you really like rc sailing ,and than go from there to something larger. A meter length boat sails great ,and you can see it better than a smaller one ,when it is way out on a pond. I have about 3 other rc boats & I really love the relaxing experience of just going by way of the wind . I sail for the fun experience and don`t care to compete with others . Good luck with what ever you choose ........
Jun 22, 2016, 11:42 AM
Couple of observations. First and foremost, if you have a club nearby, reach out to them and find out what they sail. Most will shove a transmitter in your hand at the lake, and let you sail one of theirs. The novelty of having a one off class of boat at the lake diminishes quickly when you start sailing with a group. Often, there are used boats for sale in the club, which can get you on the water quicker, with a proven boat.

Will your sailing location have weeds/thick grass? If so, a deeper keeled boat like a seawind or similar 1 meter boat would risk getting hung up. Also depth of water may come into play. A Victoria can float in about 8 inches of water. A seawind needs about 15 or so. A DF95 would pull about the same amount of depth. A nirvana may require about 12.

For ease of assembly and operation, a Laser would be hard to beat. Its a 1/4 scale version of the full scale boat. You cant launch and retrieve it by the mast. It collapses down into a bag for transport, and requires no tools to assemble at the lake. They can be a handful in higher winds with the stock "A" rig sail.

Personally, I think the most bang for the buck would be either a Seawind. DF65, or a DF95. Seawind ready sets can be had for 349.00 shipped, and can be sailed well straight out of the box. Minor changes to the shrouds (converting them to wire and clevises/rigging couplers) would cost about 15 dollars. Those allow for easier tuning, repeatable settings, and easier breakdown and assembly. All of those mods are class legal if you end up finding a club to race with, or starting your own club. The class is very active, and is growing again now that the new readysets are available. Support from the class is great (google Seawind Express....the newsletter has tons of tips and articles). They are scale appearing (based upon a mid 90s Americas Cup entry), and perform in a wide range of winds (3-20 kts). If you dont like it, you can get most, if not all of your money out of it. They can be launched and retrieved by the mast.

DF65's are a great small boat for entry level. It may suffer in higher winds because of its smaller size. They are a great performer. You can launch and retrieve by the mast.

Ive seen a DF95, and it was a rocketship on the water. They are complete, and sturdy. Upper end of the price range. I can see this becoming a popular entry level or smaller boat class for those who sail larger boats all the time, and want a small, fast, high performance boat.

Nirvana's are a good entry level boat, but would require some mods for reliability. We had 2 at our club, but both found new homes when the owners found seawinds. The resale value is not as great as a Seawind.

Victorias in stock form are "OK". They are an entry level, one step above toy level boat. Again, mods are recommended for reliability and/or performance gains. To build a "gold fleet" race ready vic, you end up between a seawind and df95 in cost. Better to just start off with a better performing boat in stock form.

All of these can be left fully rigged for transport inside a small suv or 4 door car if the rear seats can fold. Anything larger would require rigging at the lake, and derigging for transport. All are plastic hulls, so they can take a beating. The biggest threat to the hull is transporting it, where the keel is stressing the bottom of the hull. a simple support of foam or a box can remedy that.
Jun 22, 2016, 12:48 PM
Boomer1
Good comments Steve! As well Wolfoot! We really should never leave out the benefits of kit building to new sailors, heck as well to more mature sailors
I have enjoyed building kits and have really learned a lot in the process. I have said before, I think you can have a richer sailing experience sailing something you've built.

I agree, many tend to over think" this a bit. The boats we are chatting about are all really good choices.

I say buy something and get out there and have some fun! And if your like most of us, the first boat is just one of many to come!

Boomer
Jul 28, 2016, 02:51 AM

HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht now available in all HobbyKing Warehouses

The HydroPro Affinity RG65 Racing Yacht would make a great first timers RC Yacht and continue to provide growth potential for the newbie through intermediate to Pro levels of racing.

The Affinity is now available in all Hobbyking Warehouses via the link below

Happy Sailing Guys.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...earch=Affinity