Apr 21, 2016, 04:34 PM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
Discussion

RA-5C Vigilante ..Chris Golds design

I have had this kit for a couple of years. I remember when they first posted about the design here on RCG and really wanted one. I have always liked the Viggy. its a super sleek jet.
This is the thread from RCG https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=152158
The Box with the kit has been sitting on my bench for a long time. I first looked it over and decided I wasn't happy with some of the non scale liberties that were used back then. I wasn't sure it would be worth the time to fix to make me happy. So I figured I would give it one last look and make the decision to sell it or build it. After a bit of head scratching I think I have a solid plan I can work with. My big issue was the fact the fuse was bulged a lot to fit the landing gear..There is a center section down the middle of the fuse that I can narrow to make up the difference. I will loose some of the room for batteries but I dont need that space any way. Mr Golds had the batteries in a pod under the fuse but I want to not use that idea if I can avoid it.
Last edited by turbonut; Apr 26, 2016 at 12:26 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2016, 05:23 PM
Classic jets rule
oh yeah ...always thought a Viggy would be a good EDF jet. basically a one tailed F-15 ish looking jet .
Apr 21, 2016, 06:56 PM
Retired and Lovin' it!
I started one several years ago scratch building out of depron as a pusher-jet. I got bogged down with the retractable gear and trying to get the rear end more or less right for a pusher. I finally ran out of patience and tossed it to make room in the shop. I kinda wish I hadn't thrown it out. Its a beautiful plane.

Good luck with it.

Tony
Apr 21, 2016, 08:39 PM
I normally lurk in silence watching "you Big Guys", but I couldn't help myself. Are you talking about Triple_B's Vigilante. I just happen to be pondering prop or EDF. Not on the same scale as your's (mine is 21" WS). Excuse the interrupt.
Apr 22, 2016, 06:06 AM
EB-66C Team Member
Great subject Scott, looking forward to the build.

J
Apr 22, 2016, 09:07 AM
Need 4 Speed!
Very cool project Turbonut! Subscribed!
Latest blog entry: original Y/A F-18 Kit
Apr 22, 2016, 11:21 AM
Mike
Nut,
Very cool, My father worked on them at North American Rockwell here in Columbus years ago and I remember when they were test flying them as a kid. They would fly over head all the time, and sonic booms weren't a problem with the EPA back then, that's how we knew they were doing test flights. They had a cut over access runway from Rockwell to port Columbus runways. There was one day when a pilot had to eject right as the gear came up off the runway, was all over the news that day.

I made a pusher version based off of RCM plans. I have a few pics somewhere and a flight video. Will have to see if I can find them. Always thought and EDF would be sweet. What size EDF are you considering for this beast?
Apr 22, 2016, 11:25 AM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
Thanks Guys...As always its going to be a long project...For now I just would like to get the fuse shape figured out and get it framed up...Some day they will make a pill to keep me focused....too many projects...I need to retire so I can work on planes
i12fly post pics here if you like...The good old days when they let jet go SS ...As kid I could see the F102s going out of Ontario on practise Intercept missions and they would hit super sonic just as they went past our house......yee haw....
Chris designed this kit for twin wemo 90mm..I will use Wemo or Jet fan on 8S
Last edited by turbonut; Apr 22, 2016 at 11:43 AM.
Apr 22, 2016, 05:44 PM
Classic jets rule
let me know when they make that pill .....im in the same boat ...and if I fly I end up fixing crashes which cuts into the project time .
Apr 22, 2016, 06:51 PM
Do it Right, the first time!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turbonut
..I need to retire so I can work on planes
i12fly post pics here if you like...The good old days when they let jet go SS ...As kid I could see the F102s going out of Ontario on practise Intercept missions and they would hit super sonic just as they went past our house......yee haw....
turbonut-- Man that brings back some memories.. We may be way up in northern MN, -- but at one time had a pretty healthy AFB . Duluth Air Defense Sector ... https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Duluth_Air_Defense_Sector but due ro cut backs, it's no longer

But we did have the F-102 "Deuce" from to 1966-1971. Plus a few other great planes. http://www.148fw.ang.af.mil/history/index.asp

I might be older- but I don't remember the P-51... I don't think at 2 yrs old , Id remember .! All the rest I do .

Great project- Now some one needs to do a F-101 "Voodoo"...
Apr 25, 2016, 06:11 PM
Classic jets rule
really just a great looking design ...another NA beauty...you sure see where the F-15 ,14, and some Russian Jets got some of there design point from .
Apr 26, 2016, 12:22 PM
Pro Hoarder
Thread OP
Did Not spend much time last night but decided to fit check battery location estimate. 8s 6000 x 2 or 12s 6000 x 2. I think i can go either way if needed.
Last edited by turbonut; Apr 26, 2016 at 04:11 PM.
Apr 27, 2016, 07:16 PM

Ra-5c

Great project aircraft....
It will look fantastic once you start seeing the outer mold line and overall shape...

Looking forward to seeing your progress on this one...

Sarge
Apr 27, 2016, 08:52 PM
EB-66C Team Member
I love the Vigilante and will be following your progress.

Have fun,
Tony

Quick Reply