"Drone" Strike Thought to be a Plastic Bag!

Yet another pilot mistakes something for a "drone." When will it stop?

Splash

"Drone" strike believed to actually be a "plastic bag" strike...

I was on the ground doing event coverage at SEFF when multiple pilots wanted to engage me about the recent news stories about a "drone" hitting an airliner. I was skeptical. I wonder if the press remembers the last "drone" strike to a plane that turned out to be a bird. Couple mistakes like this with the waffling of the FAA and it's hard to know what to believe. I find the timing in relation to the Senate voting on the FAA Reauthorization Act interesting as well.

No Actual Damage

The report of the strike came from a tweet made by the local police force but it doesn't look like there was any real evidence found before the report was made. In fact the transport minister, Robert Goodwill, said, "The early reports of a dent in the front of the plane were not confirmed. There was no actual damage to the plane and there's indeed some speculation that it may have even been a plastic bag."

Mr Goodwill also dismissed reactionary calls for tighter rules on drone use. He feels current rules governing drone use a are strong enough.

198 Turtle Strikes - 0 "Drone" Strikes

To date there are zero instances of drone strikes. There are far more instances of daily bird strikes and even planes hitting turtles! Since 1990, the FAA has recorded 198 airplane turtle collisions, and exactly zero drone/RC airplane collisions. There have been about 142,000 wildlife strikes with civil aircraft in USA between 1990 and 2013.

I had hoped the term "drone" would have died down in the media but this recent incident is just another indicator it has not. While a story about a drone hitting a plane may make news, I'm fairly certain the correction that it was a plastic bag will not be so sensationalized. It's up to us to get the positive word out there and let people know that RC and FPV flight are the future and not to be feared. Spread the word!

Apr 21, 2016, 12:32 PM
Apr 21, 2016, 12:47 PM
Ha!
Apr 21, 2016, 01:32 PM
One windy day I was watching a plastic bag that took off in the wind. It kept rapidly increasing in altitude and moving faster and faster as it gained altitude. But rest assured, regardless of whether it was a plastic bag the mass media will continue to report it as an evil drone strike and it will remain the basis for tighter and tighter rules, bans, and restrictions.
Apr 21, 2016, 01:39 PM
Apr 21, 2016, 01:45 PM
Team Futaba
Yet another reason to ban plastic bags!!!!
Apr 21, 2016, 02:17 PM
STICKS FORWARD!
For Crying Out Loud!!!!

A Bag?...
Apr 21, 2016, 02:24 PM
Was this article written before or after the Supposed British Airways drone hit in London. Or was that found to be a bird or bag as well?
Apr 21, 2016, 02:41 PM
DFS#000178
That's the incident this article is addressing.
Apr 21, 2016, 03:23 PM
Drone offender FA377YHFNC
Require registration for all plastic bag owners! Come Christmas millions of plastic bags will be sold and we must move on this crisis NOW!
Apr 21, 2016, 03:36 PM
Gravity is patient............
You could knock me over..... with a plastic bag!
Apr 21, 2016, 03:55 PM
They got off so lucky on that plane,would if the bag had got stuck to the windshield or sucked into the motor!
Apr 21, 2016, 04:14 PM
I am what I teach
A proposed letter to the FAA

Dear Federal Aviation Administration,

In light of recent headlines I would like to address your fine agency on an important safety issue.

To be exact, what are you prepared to do about the glut of plastic bags threatening our national airspace? Thousands of plastic bags leave stores and shops daily across our nation unregulated and unreported. Who knows what the new owners of these bags are up to? Given that the majority of these bags are free and currently untraceable the opportunities for terrorists to release havoc on our skies are mind-blowing. At this very moment splinter cells from sea to sea could be collecting these tools of destruction just waiting for the day to come when they surround our airports and capitals with flying bags of doom.

Please, for the sake of our nation, create a plastic bag registry now if not sooner. Don’t listen to the naysayers with claims of freedom to carry groceries, think of the children. Stand firm on your convictions to protect our airspace before we too face a tragedy such as the one in England. Do not wait until the supposed bodies start hitting the ground.

Bag Registry now!

Thank you

Signed,

A Concerned Citizen That Once Saw a Plastic Bag Flying in the Wind
Apr 21, 2016, 04:27 PM
The Other Side of Your Screen
There is an Arlo Guthrie song beginning to take shape in that last post.
Apr 21, 2016, 04:31 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by moparren
A proposed letter to the FAA

Dear Federal Aviation Administration,

In light of recent headlines I would like to address your fine agency on an important safety issue.

To be exact, what are you prepared to do about the glut of plastic bags threatening our national airspace? Thousands of plastic bags leave stores and shops daily across our nation unregulated and unreported. Who knows what the new owners of these bags are up to? Given that the majority of these bags are free and currently untraceable the opportunities for terrorists to release havoc on our skies are mind-blowing. At this very moment splinter cells from sea to sea could be collecting these tools of destruction just waiting for the day to come when they surround our airports and capitals with flying bags of doom.

Please, for the sake of our nation, create a plastic bag registry now if not sooner. Donít listen to the naysayers with claims of freedom to carry groceries, think of the children. Stand firm on your convictions to protect our airspace before we too face a tragedy such as the one in England. Do not wait until the supposed bodies start hitting the ground.

Bag Registry now!

Thank you

Signed,

A Concerned Citizen That Once Saw a Plastic Bag Flying in the Wind

WE all need to send this letter to our Senators and the FAA through the AMA web page that suggested we contact them.

Quick Reply