Old Sep 13, 2002, 05:27 PM
Find More Posts by rclark
A Clinger
You are absolutely right JT. Some of us 'push' the envelope a bit. If you aren't satisfied with the performance that's what you do -- you 'push' the motors and the brushes wear out. Brushless now fits my type of flying very well and no more motors to wear out 'quickly' . A life time investment (not a week/month investment).....

Oh, when you are first learning and 'donk' your planes a lot, the brushed motor is definitely the way to go . And actually the 400 6V has been a good motor for me in the sky scooter. I got over 180 flights on the first one which is an acceptable life time for a 10 dollar motor..... Still going on the second....
Last edited by rclark; Sep 13, 2002 at 07:08 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2002, 06:45 PM
Find More Posts by fill
JT,

I agree with every thing you said, you push 9.6 volts through a 7.2 volt motor you will fry it. When I say that I have smoked 4 motors, I take that back, I have wore out 4 motors. After taking a couple apart I was shocked to see that they were running just a few minutes prior, without brushes. But the problem I also have, my first carbon brushed ISP motor only gave me one flight, and I wasn't cooking it, just 6 Nimh cells. I'm not really pushing brushless motors because of more power, but because they don't have brushes to ware out. The extra power with lower current is just a bonus. If fourleaf's brushless gave the same power at the same current of the ISP motor, I would be happy to pay what ever he ask.

Philip
Old Sep 13, 2002, 07:01 PM
Find More Posts by fourleaf
Quote:
Originally posted by fill

If fourleaf's brushless gave the same power at the same current of the ISP motor, I would be happy to pay what ever he ask.

Philip
Reminds me of the Budweiser commercial: I love you man!

In regards to use vs abuse...OK, I abuse the IPS motors. Perhaps it is my slimer backround, but if run as the manufacturer suggests, they are just pitifully underpowered, IMO.
Old Sep 13, 2002, 08:41 PM
Find More Posts by Looooeeee!
Heli Bouncer
I still have 4 of the old wet magneted DX wiper motors left in unused geardrives. Two of the ones in use have over 10 hours each on them, but I only run real short bursts of full throttle on my 8 cell packs through them. I like the performance and electron economy of the stronger magneted motors.

I find that even my weakest CD motor, the Mitsu BML motor does a stellar job with the watts consumed to output power.

Looee
Old Sep 13, 2002, 09:02 PM
Find More Posts by keven64
Model Designer
Ron,

Quote:
Tapemeasure is in centimeters, not inches.
I KNEW that !

The 2cm diameter outrunner boggled my mind . . .

The 'SBL-Mini' might do for one of my MiniAC1215/16's . . .

rclark,

Quote:
120 flights on the AC1215/16
WOW !
And I have two of those . . . Boy am I in for a lot of flying next summer with the kids at school all day . . .

Looooeeee / DNA,

Quote:
the cheap 280 motors.......
are GREAT !

I've 11 of them, and just love the relaibiltiy vs the price !

My Kelly climbs at 30 degrees with a Graupner Speed 280 on 7-cell 500mah NiMH's. . .
NO need for me to put my Hacker B-20-26L ( or a MiniAC1215/16 ) into that, as I had thought of doing !
The cheap, easily-replaced motors will do . . .

I'm just finishing a proflie 'trainer' . . . 24" span/ Speed280 power, for my 4-year-old son to have a go with -
At 9oz weight and '280 power it don't matter if it crashes . . . ;-)

I'm going to double it in size for my AXI, as well . . .

Keven.
Old Sep 15, 2002, 12:31 PM
Find More Posts by Ron van Sommeren
homo ludens modellisticus
Quote:
Originally posted by keven64
I KNEW that !
Did you now, old fruiteeeeeeey?

Quote:
Originally posted by keven64
The 2cm diameter outrunner boggled my mind . . .
The one with the tapemeasure is from www.torcman.de/shop, the even smaller one was made by a *trumpets* Dutch pilot who likes building small things.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 12:19 PM
Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Swedes don't grow on trees
Quote:
Originally posted by Looooeeee!
Another " if there was only...."

a mini outrunner LRK BL which won't need any gear reduction,
5 to 9 cell operation at upwards of 7 amps, 1.5 oz. overall with prop adapter, all for $ 75.00 ( yeah, in my dreams...)
Looooeeee, I just bought that very motor. 75 from www.handlaunchglider.de , it's called HT Mini-LRK. Pulls 6.5A HOC on 8xTwicell 700 and an APC 10x4.7. I'll stick it in my 80% Su-31 this weekend - It'll probably be nice!

/ Jonas
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:34 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Name it, I've crashed it

Am I missing something here?

What about the Astro Firefly motor?

http://www.astroflight.com/Brushless.html

$89
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:42 PM
Find More Posts by Gene Bond
Crash Master
Bill: The Firefly is coreless, not brushless.
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:46 PM
Find More Posts by Bill Germanson
Name it, I've crashed it
Sorry about the coreless vs brushless but I guess I'm not sure what the difference is and from looking at the specs for the FireFly it appears to do/give what you guys are asking for.

Is there something missing in the coreless that the brushless motors offer?

Thanks for a little education..

- Bill
Old Jan 10, 2003, 01:51 PM
Find More Posts by Jonas Leander
Swedes don't grow on trees
A coreless motor still have brushes, and brushes tend to be the weak link in brushed motors!

/ Jonas