This thread is privately moderated by jbewley, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 21, 2016, 06:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

FX071 to OH-58

I am consulting with Craig and putting an FX071 inside an Eflite Jet Ranger body. We attempted to put the mechanics in from the bottom, but just wasn't going to work, so the nose has to come off.

The fuselage has been painted and after much thinking, consulting and thinking again, this is where I plan to make the cut.

The skids are off the 230s and work just fine.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 22, 2016, 01:50 PM
Thread OP
Using a pair of fabric shears, I started cutting in the opening on the underside and cut directly up to the center of the dog house on one side, than the other. Material cut very nicely.

Next I cut two plastic panels and molded them with a heat gun to contour to the shape of the inside.

I was going to attach them with CA, but this proved to be a very bad idea. I drilled three holes, two front and one rear and secured them with screws.

I noted that without the nose, the two sides flopped about, so I inserted a brace across the bottom for stability.

The two forward screws hold the fuselage sides snuggly, so I inserted the bottom of the nose UNDER the rear, side sections and OVER the doghouse to make it less air resistant in flight.

Now, all I need are four magnets to finish it up.
Aug 12, 2016, 09:19 AM
Thread OP
I have now, after many delays and side tracks, completed the OH-58 project. I had problems getting magnets to stick to the shell, so I used velcro to keep the nose in place. It worked well and I may continue to use this method in the future.
Aug 12, 2016, 09:24 AM
Thread OP
IMG 1279 (1 min 39 sec)

Quick Reply