Apr 21, 2016, 06:13 AM
Discussion

Ultra Power UP240AC Plus issues

I just purchased the Ultra Power UP240AC Plus. I purchased it in Brisbane, Australia today.

AUD$269.00

http://www.ultrapower.hk/product.asp?id=30&cid=1

UP240AC Plus Charger
Input voltage: AC 110 or 220V
DC 11.0-18.0V
Charge power: 2x120W or 4x60W (240W)
Discharge power: 2x10W or 4x5W (20W)
Charge current range: 0.1~12.0A ( 2x120W version)
0.1~6.0A ( 4x60W version)
Discharge current range: 0.1~5.0A ( 2x120W version)
0.1~2.0A (4x60W version)
LiIo/LiPo/LiFe/LiHv cell count: 1~6 series
NiCd/NiMH battery cell count: 1 - 15cells
Pb battery voltage: 2V~20V (1-10cells)
Weight: 1.6KG

Tonight I decided to cycle some new batteries by running a charge / discharge 3 times (the Ultra Power does not have a LiPo charge / discharge cycle mode like my iCharger 106B+)

On the first discharge, under the correct 3S LiPo profile it discharged each of the cells to 3.28v, 2.91v and 2.90v - this has probably ruined the battery and was also a fire risk.

See pictures of the screen on the charger.

LiPo cells are not meant to be discharged this far. Literature on the internet says NEVER recharge a LiPo that has gone below 3.0v. You can see from the pictures that the Ultra Power UP240AC Plus charger dropped two cells in my pack to 2.91 and 2.90v

I then charged it (carefully) and discharged again, this time the 'storage mode' took the cells to 3.33v, 2.76v, 2.76v. Again - not a balanced discharge and has taken the cells to below the safe level for a LiPo battery.

This time I got it on video (see YouTube link) below:

Ultra Power UP240AC Plus issues (0 min 30 sec)

The battery in question is a brand new eFlite 1300mAh 3S that came with a brand new Parkzone Sport Cub S2 purchased two days ago from the LHS.

When flying I only discharge to 3.6v to avoid damage to the cells.

The charger confirmed the 'end voltage' of 9.60v / 3.3v per cell when I started the discharge program. Not sure what happened but this is pretty disappointing for a brand new charger. I noticed also that there is no provision for firmware upgrades on the unit as there is no USB port. Specs on resellers websites state, "Two USB ports (5V 2.1A, output) for PC Control & Firmware Upgrade". Mine only has one USB port. Are there firmware updates available for these chargers ?

When the discharge sequence finished the screen said, “Cell error Voltage invalid”. See pictures below (charger #1 - top left):

Next issue. I decided to use ‘Storage Mode’ to get the same battery pack back up to 3.85v / cell. The charger was put in to ‘storage mode’, again for a 3S pack, and the pack ended up at 3.78, 3.79, 3.79 - all below the target voltage of 3.85v per cell. see pictures below (charger #1 - top left):

I compared the discharge mode on the Ultra Power UP240AC to my old HobbyKing iCharger 2106B+ to rule out the battery an guess what ? It discharges to the correct LiPo per cell storage voltage and balances the cells nicely:

SAME BATTERY USING iCharger 106B+ ’storage mode’

Started with the battery after if was discharged too far in the Ultra Power UP240AV ‘storage mode’ (pic below is same battery plugged in to the iCharger 106B+). You can see its not just an 'off voltage measurement' between the chargers because when I unplug the battery from the Ultra Power and plug into the iCharger the voltages are the same.

After using the iCharger ‘storage mode’ - 3.86v, 3.85v, 3.85v A CORRECTLY discharged battery pack in storage mode.

I am assuming there are bugs in the Ultra Power UP240AC charger firmware (mine is Version 4.01). I am not sure how will this be rectified when there is no firmware upgrade capability for this charger (no USB port for input).

I decided to buy a charger to replace my HobbyKing iCharger 106B+ that has worked perfectly for years - I just wanted a quad charger for parallel charging and balancing. I am thinking I should have just bought 3 more iChargers.....

I am very disappointed in this charger so far and would not recommend it to friends.
Last edited by ilium007; Apr 21, 2016 at 08:42 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2016, 08:17 AM
I am not sure I followed your thread completely so forgive me if I err.
In the future please include a link to the equipment. Doing so makes it easier to look up specs, etc.

Did you verify the results with an DVM when you first got the error indication?

Also it appears you were using the same port each time. Have you verified the same results on the other three ports?

Glen
Apr 21, 2016, 08:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ggcrandall1
I am not sure I followed your thread completely so forgive me if I err.
In the future please include a link to the equipment. Doing so makes it easier to look up specs, etc.

Did you verify the results with an DVM when you first got the error indication?

Also it appears you were using the same port each time. Have you verified the same results on the other three ports?

Glen
Apologies. I have now updated original post with specs and link.

When I got the error I checked against the iCharger 106B+ in 'monitor mode' to check each of the 3 cells. I know this charger is accurate and it matched the new Ultra Power charger values.

I have also repeated the process on charger #2 on the unit with similar results.
Apr 21, 2016, 08:38 AM
Attempted to bring a battery to storage (3.85v/cell) on port #2 (upper right display) and it terminated at 3.79v /cell

This charger is going back tomorrow.

Last edited by ilium007; Apr 22, 2016 at 06:58 AM.
Apr 21, 2016, 10:41 PM
After a quick chat at the LHS I swapped the Ultra Power for a Thunder Power TP820CD

Pic shows the same battery checked on my iCharger 106B+ after running a discharge and then storage mode on the new TP820CD.

Exactly 3.85v per cell !!

I can only do two batteries at a time now but at least it is accurate.

In short I'd stay away from these Ultra Power chargers, the biggest reason for me would be the inability to do a firmware update to sort out any bugs.
Last edited by ilium007; Apr 22, 2016 at 07:00 AM.

Quick Reply