Apr 21, 2016, 07:53 PM
Tony Audsley Retired Locksmith
Thread OP
OK Bob so thats actually a little more than half the Depron sheet size in metric its 440 x 1015 x 50 mm so thats good to know mate

I always try to mark which way to roll by doing a "grain to bend" sticker on each part that needs to be rolled (see pic) ... maybe I should change that to "grain to roll"

I have found the best way to roll Depron is lengthwise on the sheet, ... it WILL roll the other way round but tends to wrinkle worse on the inside and not as smooth a finish on the outside ..

If you look carefully at a sheet of Depron you will see that one side is SHINY and the other side is DULL ... I have also found that it rolls better with the shiny side is inside ... try rolling a piece of Depron without the packaging tape, it will roll SOME with the shiny side in BUT will snap and break almost straight away with the shiny side out

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 21, 2016 at 08:24 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2016, 08:02 PM
Thanks Tony!
I got to experience rolling with the grain today.
The long pieces of the engine were against the grain.
Today the intake and exhaust were with the grain and as you said it was fairly easy. So one needs to roll with [or to] the length of the depron sheet. Across the sheet is very difficult!
I'll post some photos tomorrow.

Jerry
Apr 22, 2016, 11:09 PM
Thread OP
Designed a fairly simple sprung undercarriage for the Sorceress ... 2 mm piano wire and 20 x 3 mm aluminium flat bar

I got to thinking that all the pressure of the landing gear will be on the bottom wings, so thought it wouldn't hurt to help out a bit with a sprung undercarriage ... and as anyone who has flown a tail dragger knows ... the landings aren't always perfect and they do jolt the fuselage a bit without some kind of springing

Lockey

Sprung Undercarriage for Sorceress (0 min 25 sec)
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 22, 2016 at 11:19 PM.
Apr 23, 2016, 07:23 AM
When cows fly!
Looking good! Not sure how this one is gonna fly....with a scrunched nose! Maybe this one will like bent wing tips instead....any comment Dukejet???
Apr 23, 2016, 07:33 AM
That landing gear looks good. Also I can't wait for the build and flight. 1200mm ws might be a little big for my airfield, but I can always resize. Really like the looks of this biplane. It is nice to see a "modern" biplane that is not an ultimate or pitts.
Apr 23, 2016, 09:23 PM
Indoor FF is pretty neat
Hi
You might want to look at this for landing gear,
RC Plane Suspension (4 min 13 sec)

Ross
Apr 23, 2016, 09:36 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by funwithplanes
Hi
You might want to look at this for landing gear,
Ross
Hey Ross, I like that, thanks for sharing mate

Mine are cheaper though and probably took about the same time to make them .. that said, I am going to go on e-bay and see if I can find some

Lockey

EDIT ... Found and ordered
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 23, 2016 at 11:03 PM.
Apr 24, 2016, 09:46 AM
Thread OP
Duke, I had a reply from our old friend nuteman and it seems you were pretty spot on with your GC assessment mate

This is what he had to say ... For the Sorceress, I'd put the CG at between 190 and 220 mm back from the leading edge of the forward wing

So there you have it from the master .. thanks nutman ... much appreciated

Lockey
Last edited by Lockey; Apr 24, 2016 at 08:09 PM.
Apr 25, 2016, 05:59 AM
Thread OP
Found this ... somebody must have built one somewhere at some time ... wonder if they ever flew it ?

Lockey
Apr 25, 2016, 10:36 AM
Retired CAD guy
It appears that the LG is mounted to the Lower wing at the intersection of the
Down angled wing.

Flexible foam wings are going to make THAT a difficult proposition
as it will affect the struts and upper wing if flexing occurs.

A very sturdy Aluminum or expensive CF LG could be hidden inside of the lower wing.

Nothing worse than having something that looks fast but is broken right off the bat.
Apr 25, 2016, 12:04 PM
Franz Schmid from Germany also had a nice looking Sorceress.
But he said that flying the Sorceress is pure stress as it reacts very weired on Elevator.
Also the Rudder was not working as it should!

We will see how the Lokey Design will work
(Most parts are cut-> Will post some photos later )
Apr 25, 2016, 01:21 PM
I totally agree with birdofplay on the stiffness issue.
And the elevator issue mentioned by germantigger is something that is present on many scale planes - which is why many make oversize elevators for such planes (Reynolds # at small scale makes that tiny tail a lot less effective,blah,blah)
Apr 25, 2016, 02:14 PM
Thatīs not the only problem here:
The Elevator gets the turbulences from the wing.
So the Elevator has almost no function until you give "full up".
Than you get full up but almost nothing in between.
For the Rudder: In the original design thereīs a hole in the top of the Canopy!
There again you produce turbulences which affect the funtion of the rudder.

All this was reported by Franz Schmid

Toby
Apr 25, 2016, 02:36 PM
Yes, the blah, blah was just my usual way of avoiding giving way more detail than Lockey and Duke like to hear .
There's even more blah,blah to get into for tails on biplanes, but I don't think I'll volunteer it
In the final analysis, oversizing both tail surfaces by about 30% will likely benefit you a lot more than harm you for this particular airplane at the size you're doing it.
Apr 25, 2016, 06:04 PM
Retired CAD guy
I agree with Tigger re turbulances
AND especially take exception with the Small narrow Ailerons.

If I had time I'd build one Boxy version with flat wings and Upscaled Empenage
and larger ailerons and see how it go's !

THEN if OK do that with the Beautiful rounded version from Tony.

Quick Reply