Old Jan 31, 2002, 12:46 PM
Find More Posts by Coyoteair
Qaz52

A Question About Slow Charging New NiMH Batteries?

As the formula goes or as I understand it...

Capacity X 1.6 / Charger ma = hours needed to slow charge a new NiMH battery...

Also given that you charge any battery at no more than C/10. Using these formulas you could easily slow charge a small 720ma battery for almost 24 hours...

Two questions...

1. Where do you find a charger that will charge at such low ma as 10, 25 or even 50 ma?

2. What about voltage? What's going to be the difference in slow charging a battery at 4 .5 volts of 9.5 volts?

Thanks for your input and advise...
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 31, 2002, 01:02 PM
Find More Posts by boomerace
Been There! Done That!
Hi,
I and several others that post use a Digipulse from Radical RC it will charge 6 batteries at a time at 10 to 150 ma in 10 ma increments after setting charge is automatic and shuts off in 16 hours and goes to trickle. I don't even use my field charger anymore as it was too hard on my batteries and caused some battery problems. I keep several packs of each type and just take a bunch with me to the field and don't worry about field charging anymore. The charge sets the charge rate for the number of cells and will do 1 to 8 cell packs. You can do larger packs but you have to run them through 2 cycles.... Works for me!
boomer