Apr 20, 2016, 06:00 PM
homo ludens modellisticus
Thread OP
Yippee!

close out: Hyperion watt-meter II (optical tach, servo tester, local&remote logging)

Closing out now, Hyperion E-meter II watt-meter

The Hyperion E-meter II had very good threads/reviews.
It also has on optical tach, and servo-tester on board (thanks Mike).

You need the E-meter II ...
... and at least one measuring device: an LDU for local logging, and/or an RDU/MDU for remote logging

Closing out atReviews by Ken Myers
(thanks Jackerbes)Tech info & help threadsIncreasing max.current, double, triple, simple and cheapSoftware downloads
(thanks Jack)
Vriendelijke groeten Ron
Without a watt-meter you are in the dark ... until something starts to glow
e-flight calculators watt-meters diy motor tips Cumulus MFC
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; May 04, 2019 at 12:31 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 21, 2016, 06:02 AM
Thanks Ron

Apr 21, 2016, 07:18 AM
Jack
And for those that might have any trouble finding it, the downloads that go with the E-Meter are on this page:

http://media.hyperion.hk/dn/pc/pcsoft.htm#EM2

Look for the heading that reads as follows, there is some other software there too...

------- FOR EMETER II (and RDU, mRDU, LDU) -------

Jack
Apr 22, 2016, 02:47 PM
Thread OP
Too bad www.hyperion-eu.com is off-line.

Prettig weekend Ron
Apr 23, 2016, 10:29 AM
I just want to go fly!
A watt meter is so important to this hobby. Any one is better than none. I use a watts up meter. Best money I spent. Guessing stinks.
Apr 23, 2016, 10:37 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd View Post
... Guessing stinks.
A true word Walter

Prettig weekend Ron
Last edited by Ron van Sommeren; Apr 27, 2016 at 10:19 AM.
Apr 26, 2016, 11:13 PM
Received mine today. I can honestly say the e-meter 2 is way better than the separate watt meter and tach as far as testing motors much more user friendly. The opto tach on the e-meter 2 is a lot steadier and solid reading then a cheap opto tach and easier to read!

The e-meter 2 and rdu combo are all that's needed for casual testing
Apr 27, 2016, 01:48 AM
ancora imparo
And Fred Larssen has done a thread on how to turn the excellent (and now super cheap) Hyperion LDU/RDU/MDU sensors into Telemetry units for FrSky. Better than anything FrSky do for high currents in particular.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2394886&page=4

John
May 03, 2016, 02:38 AM
I have been trying to figure out how to download the prop constants on my em2 but cant seem to find the files?

I will continue searching but any help is welcomed
May 08, 2016, 05:42 PM
My huge apologies to Hyperion and the e-meter 2 designers!!!

The e-meter 2 is very accurate!!

The props I tested with were clearly of different manufacture.

After retesting with a different brand of propellers and recording data with the e-meter2 and my other watt meter it is a very accurate and simple to use tool!!

WAY better than trying to read a tach and watt meter at the same time and write data also.

Again my sincere apologies to hyperion and the designers
Last edited by jammied; May 11, 2016 at 05:42 PM.
May 12, 2016, 04:39 PM
Jack
So I got my E-Meter today and started messing with it.

It arrived with a 100% charged battery and that was nice, and it had a 2008 date on it and that was less nice. As near as I can tell there is not a way to advance the date except up or down one day at a time. So I had a long session with the up button to get to today.

And I'm here to say that I am grateful for the presence of a menu choice that will let me toggle the keystrok beeps off while I did that!

Now I cannot get it to recognize the presence of a memory card.

I have tried 4GB and 128MB micro-SD cards in a SD adapter and I have tried 1GB and 2GB SD cards and it will not recognize any of them as being present when I turn it on and go to the Log Files page. It always says Memory card not found.

I reformatted each of the tested card to FAT when they did not work and tried them a second time and that did not help any.

As a favor, could someone give me a sample log file to put on a card to see if that changes anything? Just rename is as a *.txt file, attach it here, and tell me what the original file name and type was.

Never mind on posting any of the the log files, I found a couple of them. They were included in one of the the download zip files on the Hyperion EMeter downloads page, it was in the download called the "Latest Firmware for Emeter II & RDU".

I also wanted those so I could see how the Emeter II PC Suite looked and worked.

Thanks,

Jack

Note added: This problem went away a day or so after I posted this. It all cleared up when I connected an RDU testing. And after that the LDU worked normally too.

See this post for the details on getting the folders and files that are needed on the SD card for you to have prop constants and the Help files:

Emeter II - "Missing" Data, Log, and Help files - https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post34788772

Jack
Last edited by jackerbes; May 17, 2016 at 06:18 AM.
May 13, 2016, 07:47 AM
Jack
If interested in an Emeter, don't for get that both RC Dude and AllERC are also closing out the Emeter and accessories. And the shipping cost from those US dealers is much better for US based buyers than from Japan...

All e RC - http://www.allerc.com/accessories-e-...s-c-1_175.html

RC Dude Hobbies - http://www.rcdude.com/SearchResults.asp?Search=emeter

Jack
May 16, 2016, 10:49 AM
Thread OP
Review by Ken Myers (thanks Jack)
Vriendelijke groeten Ron
May 16, 2016, 04:52 PM
I am a nice guy! Really!
Is there any explanation why they are closing these out? Maybe E-Meter III coming? More likely it is such a good product that it is too expensive for the masses and therefore not enough sales. I was pleasantly surprised to see that it has an optical tach. also. You cannot even buy a decent optical tach. for the $22. So like they say on TV, you pay for the tach. and the rest of the features are free. Well, sort of. You still have to buy the RDU etc.

I just got my setup BTW, about 5 days all the way from Japan, and I paid the low cost slow shipping rate.
May 16, 2016, 05:30 PM
Jack

Emeter II - "Missing" Data, Log, and Help files

Has anyone else drawn a blank when they push the Help button on their E2? It gives you a not found error on some *.bin file?

Here is the solution:

Go to this page:

Hyperion EMETER II, Data Loggers, and Accessories - media.hyperion.hk/dn/em2/default.htm

1 - Download the "Firmware version v2.14" by clicking on the link and save Emeter-v2_14.zip to a working folder.

2 - Extract all the files from Emeter-v2_14.zip to the working folder.

On most systems you just double click the *.zip file and click on the Extract button. That will unzip the files to their default location which is the folder you had the *.zip file in and to subfolders below it that will be created by the unzip process.

If you already have any or all of these files or folders you will be prompted for a decision on overwriting the existing or keeping it.

This will extract a number of files and create three new subfolders (named data, help, and logs) with files in them. When it is finished you can delete the Emeter-v2_14.zip file.

The subfolders and their contents are:

data - contains props.txt, MOTRTEST.dat and SERVTEST.dat files.

prop.txt - Has the prop constants for 630 or so different props

MOTRTEST.dat and SERVTEST.dat are "PROFILE" files for running programmed motor and servo tests.

help - contains 119 files with names like "EM10-1.bin" and up. These are the Help files that are called whenever you have a "Help" choice over one of the four buttons.

logs - contains two pairs of log files as examples, these are named 001.log, 001.sta, 003.log, and 003.sta.

The *.log file is the moment to moment data streams recorded or logged during a test, the *.sta file is the summary data for the test of the same number.

You can look at the files mentioned above with a text editor like NotePad but don't edit them unless you understand what you are doing.

If you simply copy those three folders to the root of your SD card you will have the prop constants and help for the Emeter II and you will be able to view the example logs for the tests and run the Profiles for the motor and servo testing.

Also extracted was the Em2QuickGuidev209.pdf quick user's guide for the Emeter II. This is the same document that was in the box with your Emeter II and it does not need to be copied to the SD card (it cannot be read from the E2).

The other four files extracted from the zip archive are for updating the firmware of the Emeter II , LDU, and RDU. These are:

Firmware Changes.txt
EMFW.BIN
LDUFW.BIN
RDUFW.BIN

Those files do not need to be copied to the SD card unless you want to update the firmware to V2.14 which should already be on any recently purchased Emeter II. The procedure for firmware updates is explained in the Em2QuickGuide document.

Jack

Quick Reply