May 03, 2016, 03:37 PM
So life has been getting in the way of play.
I have been getting myself and the Nova Pro ready to fly. I have been learning Mission Planner and just going thru and making sure I have everything set and working as it should. I have already decided shortly after making my first few test flights that the radio is coming out and Taranis is going in.
Also future mods are going to include, moving Telemetry radio inside with external Antenna and mounting a VTX outside where the stock Telemetry spot is on the pro. I will make it so the VTX draws power from the gimbal 12v plug. That way I can remove the gimbal and VTX together because I will never be using the VTX without the gimbal and camera mounted.
to remove ads between posts
May 03, 2016, 04:27 PM
So I'm down to the last couple of things and then ready to fly.
How do I setup the Failsafe and what is a good option for that?

I have also tried to run the Compass motor calibration but my motors are not running when I try it. My motors do not run when I try the motor test also. How do I fix these things?
May 03, 2016, 04:38 PM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
So I'm down to the last couple of things and then ready to fly.
How do I setup the Failsafe and what is a good option for that?

I have also tried to run the Compass motor calibration but my motors are not running when I try it. My motors do not run when I try the motor test also. How do I fix these things?
It's been a while since I did the compass/motor test but I think you have to arm the motors and whack it up to 75% or so.You need the props on and you've got self tighteners so I'd forget that particular test as you have to flip them and rotate them one place to complete successfully.With the compass in the puck you probably won't get much of a reading anyway.

Try upping the % in the motor test page.I think it defaults to 5% but I think I needed 7% + to get things started out on one of mine at least.Can't remember if the 2312s were like that but I had different ESCs in there anyway.
May 03, 2016, 05:31 PM

Help

OK now I think I messed something up. I cannot arm the motors now and in mission planner under the preflight tab of flight data it shows telemetry signal in red at 0% even though I have telemetry going. Als o the battery level is showing red at 12.59V.

Things I changed are as follows.
I went in and did the compass calibration, passed great and looks good when I test it.
I did the accelerometer calibration.
I changed the flight modes a little.
Turned on Geo fence but going to turn that off again and see if that helps.
Ran the motor test and that worked.
Any ideas?
Here is my param file if it will help
May 03, 2016, 05:34 PM
Removing the geofence fixed it. Now I can arm it.

***EDIT***
I take that back it is not fixed. I had telemetry showing in the checklist when it would arm. Now I'm back to 0% and it will not arm but I know it is connected and working. Why is that showing 0% and in red and stopping me from arming?

One more thing I have 10 sats and hdop 1.6
Last edited by brlowe; May 03, 2016 at 05:44 PM.
May 03, 2016, 06:14 PM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:

***EDIT***
I take that back it is not fixed. I had telemetry showing in the checklist when it would arm. Now I'm back to 0% and it will not arm but I know it is connected and working. Why is that showing 0% and in red and stopping me from arming?

Scroll all the way to the right just under the HUD and find "messages".That should give an indication as to what's happening or not happening.

I couldn't see any glaring errors in theparameters so it's probably a connection or something e;se to do with the telemetry.
May 03, 2016, 07:25 PM
Quote:

***EDIT***

Also keep in mind that sometimes even though you have good HDOP, there may be other issues relating to interference which are fairly common when trying to arm indoors.

Might want to try taking it outside and see if it will arm.

One time I had mine sitting on the table, wouldn't arm, and realized I had a magnetic bowl, screw holder sitting right next to it which was sending the EKF meter off the charts (click EKF text in the HUD, it will pop up another window).
May 03, 2016, 09:30 PM
I did have it outside and my laptop outside when the problem was happening. I have not gone back to it yet to check for error messages as pointed out above. Going try that now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Danny
Also keep in mind that sometimes even though you have good HDOP, there may be other issues relating to interference which are fairly common when trying to arm indoors.

Might want to try taking it outside and see if it will arm.

One time I had mine sitting on the table, wouldn't arm, and realized I had a magnetic bowl, screw holder sitting right next to it which was sending the EKF meter off the charts (click EKF text in the HUD, it will pop up another window).
May 03, 2016, 09:56 PM
Ok this is crazy.
Went outside turned on laptop and mission planner. Powered up quad and transmitter and connected. Then waited for good GPS signal and had 99% telemetry signal and still could not arm. No messages on the message tab.
Here is a screen shot mission planner.
May 03, 2016, 10:42 PM
Sorry if I keep shotgun posting.
So after my last post I was sitting in the house and turned it all on again and did the radio calibration again and then I could arm it. I'm thinking when I did it the first time I got a low throttle reading and could not always get it that low to arm it again.
Tomorrow I'm going to calibrate the radio again but start with some plus trim and then after calibration bring the trim back down.
I'm really starting to hate that radio. My frsky stuff will be in there within a week I would guess.
May 05, 2016, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Sorry if I keep shotgun posting.
So after my last post I was sitting in the house and turned it all on again and did the radio calibration again and then I could arm it. I'm thinking when I did it the first time I got a low throttle reading and could not always get it that low to arm it again.
Tomorrow I'm going to calibrate the radio again but start with some plus trim and then after calibration bring the trim back down.
I'm really starting to hate that radio. My frsky stuff will be in there within a week I would guess.
If that happens again, in Mission Planner on the "Actions" tab click the "Arm/Disarm" button and see if it arms or not. If it doesn't, it absolutely should give you HUD message as to why it won't.

The screen shot you posted wasn't of the message tab, so it's difficult to give any feedback as to what if anything may have been there.

I know it's frustrating but try not to get all stressed out. That bird will fly, and fly well.

Whenever I've been in that situation with any one of my 3 CX-20s, I just go to the Config/Tuning page, click Full Parameter List, and on the right I click to Load Defaults. That reverts the APM back to a basic config. Now I don't have to spend a week trying to figure out what I had screwed up, it's a clean slate. Next I'll do a quick calibration of the radio, accelerometer, compass, setup flight modes and I'm back in the air in less then ten minutes with a rock solid loiter.

The default config, followed by a quick re-calibration is all it needs to fly. I have done this exact procedure at least 10 or 12 times. For me, it's a must if I was under the hood tinkering with things and it starts acting up. Oh, and I change ANGLE_MAX to 45 as well, but that's it.

As far as the stock transmitter goes, I have seen a few people who had issues, but most of the CX-20/Nova crew have had pretty good luck with it. I personally had no complaints, the only reason I got the Taranis is because I am seriously addicted to buying RC products, no self control whatsoever, and just had to have it (best money I spent on the hobby).

Dan
May 05, 2016, 07:45 AM
Thanks Dan,
the messages tab was blank that is why I did not screen shot with that tab open. I was hoping to get a comment on the 2 red items in the checklist as to why they are red. The telemetry was high enough and the voltage was high enough but they were both red.

Also I did not know about being able to arm/disarm from the actions tab. I will try that next time.
Being that I already have a Taranis and a 9XR PRo and plenty of extra receivers switching over to that is a zero cost thing for me. I would like to add telemetry to the radio display in addition to my tablet.
I see we both have the same addiction to RC products. I now want to add that new HobbyKing follow me quad but it will have to wait for the price to come down a ways or go on sale.
May 05, 2016, 10:51 AM
So now that a few of you have this one, Is the Nova Pro worth the approximate extra $100 over the current CX-20 price?

If it was just motors I'd say no but it seems like quite a few good extras, just want a POV from those of you that have it and have both as well.

I have an XK X380 but wish I'd found the Nova/CX-20 first. Looks like these have more functions and better community support.
May 05, 2016, 11:26 AM
That is just a configurable reference list, and does not itself control the ability to arm. The telemetry signal threshold like other items in that list can be changed by clicking the edit button on that screen. You're able to set the threshold, and choose the appearance of that item before and after the threshold is reached.

My telemetry says 100 and it's green... but I can click edit and change the threshold value to 101, and it will be red, but that won't affect my ability to arm.

I just think your radio wasn't properly calibrated, that's what makes the most sense.

Dan

Quote:
Thanks Dan,
the messages tab was blank that is why I did not screen shot with that tab open. I was hoping to get a comment on the 2 red items in the checklist as to why they are red. The telemetry was high enough and the voltage was high enough but they were both red.

Also I did not know about being able to arm/disarm from the actions tab. I will try that next time.
Being that I already have a Taranis and a 9XR PRo and plenty of extra receivers switching over to that is a zero cost thing for me. I would like to add telemetry to the radio display in addition to my tablet.
I see we both have the same addiction to RC products. I now want to add that new HobbyKing follow me quad but it will have to wait for the price to come down a ways or go on sale.
May 05, 2016, 11:40 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by NTTD
So now that a few of you have this one, Is the Nova Pro worth the approximate extra $100 over the current CX-20 price?

If it was just motors I'd say no but it seems like quite a few good extras, just want a POV from those of you that have it and have both as well.

I have an XK X380 but wish I'd found the Nova/CX-20 first. Looks like these have more functions and better community support.
I don't have one "yet", but over time I've upgraded all of mine to pretty much the same exacts specs. Which means that they've paid close attention to what users are actually trying to get out of the product.

Yes, there is an enormous amount of community support. Open source draws a crowd, the CX-20 has proved that point.

Full APM, better motors, larger battery, much more flight time, better port options, plug and play telemetry, self locking DJI style props, Mission Planner ready... I don't know of a product double it's cost that compares on "all" those points.

I put "all" in quotes, because somebody will stumble in here and start rambling on about how XYZ product can do this that, or the other thing. None of which are open source and Mission Planner compatible.

Dan

Quick Reply