May 01, 2016, 04:43 PM
So I measured the voltage on the wires and ground was easy to find.
Of the 2 other wires, 1 had nothing on it but the other had a pulsing voltage, very low but it was there. So I figured this was the RX wire and hooked it up this way.
Plugged everything in and opened mission planner and hit connect and it connected. I can see it move on the map and it looks like I'm good.
But.....
I go to the radio scree and press load settings and after a long wait I get a message "Failed to enter command mode". So do I have a different problem I need to worry about?
What command can I sent from mission planner to the quad to make sure all is good.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Danny
Connecting the RX and TX in reverse isn't a problem, just make sure you have the voltage and ground correct as you mentioned (I've fried more than one this way). Once you have that worked out, connect it up and if it doesn't work, then swap the RX/TX and you should be good to go.

Dan
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2016, 04:57 PM
Let the future tell the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
So I measured the voltage on the wires and ground was easy to find.
Of the 2 other wires, 1 had nothing on it but the other had a pulsing voltage, very low but it was there. So I figured this was the RX wire and hooked it up this way.
Plugged everything in and opened mission planner and hit connect and it connected. I can see it move on the map and it looks like I'm good.
But.....
I go to the radio scree and press load settings and after a long wait I get a message "Failed to enter command mode". So do I have a different problem I need to worry about?
What command can I sent from mission planner to the quad to make sure all is good.
Load Settings button retrieves settings from SiK-radio so you can look at them. I don't think you can do that while MP is "Connected". Dis-connect properly, then try it.

I've collected some tips/notes toward the bottom of this page and in other posts on my blog.

http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot....interface.html

When using a 2-radio set ... If MP Connects and retrieves Parameters, HUD responds, etc ... you should be fine.
May 01, 2016, 05:08 PM
So next question,
Now that I'm connecting with radios what is the best way to do compass calibration and testing?
After that I'm ready for first test flight I think.
May 01, 2016, 05:16 PM

New telemetry cable

Here is the cable I made and I'm sorry but I did not pay attention to which wires are which on the copter end when I made it.
Cable is long but I did not want to crimp new ends on it.
May 01, 2016, 05:17 PM
Quote:
So next question,
Now that I'm connecting with radios what is the best way to do compass calibration and testing?
My Compass Calibration (and links) is here:

http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot....procedure.html

Latest Total build-up is here ... (but there are other older ones on my Blog)

http://quadcopter-robotics.blogspot....or-flight.html
May 01, 2016, 05:19 PM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
So next question,
I do the Dennis.

APM/Pixhawk Tips for Good Loitering (4 min 46 sec)
May 01, 2016, 05:41 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jagger
I do the Dennis.
Seems similar to what I came-up with. I've used it several times now with perfect results.

I'll try Dennis' way next time I need it done (it's even shorter).
May 02, 2016, 12:49 AM
Quote:
Here are the pics of the battery bay.

I see my note got cut off on the last pic. The battery comes right out when you put it in with the wires on the bottom
Thanks for the photos, it looks pretty cool. I'll likely grab one if Hobby King has another one of their crazy sales.

The "only" very small tiny little downer is they went with the APM which is no longer officially supported in current and future firmware instead of a Pixhawk varient. If I end up with one (only a matter of time) I'll definately throw a $55 Pixhawk in it from Banggood.
May 02, 2016, 03:03 AM
Quote:
There is.It's built into the PDB.That much has been spotted already.
I was looking on my phone and for some reason couldn't load the pictures above thumb nails, can see it clearly now, awesome!
May 02, 2016, 07:46 AM
I thought it might be nice to get one of those and then when I decide to take out the stock radio I could swap in the pixhawk also.
I read somewhere on RC groups that people had issues with the 2.4.8 pixhawk from Banggood.

Quote:
Thanks for the photos, it looks pretty cool. I'll likely grab one if Hobby King has another one of their crazy sales.

The "only" very small tiny little downer is they went with the APM which is no longer officially supported in current and future firmware instead of a Pixhawk varient. If I end up with one (only a matter of time) I'll definately throw a $55 Pixhawk in it from Banggood.
May 02, 2016, 09:09 AM
Quote:
I thought it might be nice to get one of those and then when I decide to take out the stock radio I could swap in the pixhawk also.
I read somewhere on RC groups that people had issues with the 2.4.8 pixhawk from Banggood.
I haven't read that yet, I'll have a look around to see what I can find.

Based on the high resolution photos I've seen (reposted below) the quality looks very good. The chips look good, the soldering looks pretty good as well which generally gives some indication of the overall quality.

High resolution photos below reported to have been taken after receiving shipment, courtesy of end user sanyok84 on Banggood product page.

Dan
May 02, 2016, 12:47 PM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
I haven't read that yet, I'll have a look around to see what I can find.

Based on the high resolution photos I've seen (reposted below) the quality looks very good. The chips look good, the soldering looks pretty good as well which generally gives some indication of the overall quality.

High resolution photos below reported to have been taken after receiving shipment, courtesy of end user sanyok84 on Banggood product page.

Dan
Nowadays I take the view that some users will have a problem with a stick of wood.It will be the wrong grain,not perform as expected,and generally be a complete rip off by the company that sold it.

I have a 2.4.8 and another on the way.I have two Pixhacks and some report all sorts of problems on the forums but I've never seen one of them.I only had a couple of VCC blips that could be explained away by replacing the retracts and powering them from somewhere other than the RX.

I've looked inside my 2.4.8 and concur with the pictures posted.It looks well put together with the latest revision chip and that can't be said for the Pixhacks yet.
May 02, 2016, 02:08 PM
For the price I went ahead and ordered a pair of them. So if and when I decide to change out the FC will have one to put in it.

Quote:
Nowadays I take the view that some users will have a problem with a stick of wood.It will be the wrong grain,not perform as expected,and generally be a complete rip off by the company that sold it.

I have a 2.4.8 and another on the way.I have two Pixhacks and some report all sorts of problems on the forums but I've never seen one of them.I only had a couple of VCC blips that could be explained away by replacing the retracts and powering them from somewhere other than the RX.

I've looked inside my 2.4.8 and concur with the pictures posted.It looks well put together with the latest revision chip and that can't be said for the Pixhacks yet.
May 02, 2016, 02:52 PM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
For the price I went ahead and ordered a pair of them. So if and when I decide to change out the FC will have one to put in it.
A bargain I think.

Now you just need a couple of frames and some motors.............
May 02, 2016, 02:59 PM
You must have missed my other post on one of these Nova threads, I already have 14 quads and a few frames with all the parts waiting to be built.

Quote:
A bargain I think.

Now you just need a couple of frames and some motors.............

Quick Reply