Hobbyking Quanum Nova Pro (Cheerson CX Pro ?) - Page 3 - RC Groups
Apr 30, 2016, 01:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
As I re read my post to you Danny I sounded a little like an ass, sorry I did not mean too.
Yes I was not completely happy with the options but I wanted to get it flying so that is why I took the $20.
I'm sitting here counting in my head the number of quads I have,
4 micro/nano.
4 120mm-180mm
2 250mm
Nova pro
Hover things HT-FPV
Hobby King 450mm X Quad
S500 with pixhawk
A Quanum Chaotic on the way
And about 5 others in bags with all the parts to build new ones.
Yes I have a problem.
No worries, text can be a bit dry and difficult at times but I didn't take anything you wrote off key.

I just built an S500 with a Pixhawk brain not long ago, and recently upgraded the motors to swing some 12x4.5 props. I've only done a few hover tests, going to put it through it's paces a bit more today.

With the new Nova Pro, based on the specs it should fly fairly well out of the box with a 2D or 3D gimbal on it's belly. But I would suggest keeping the weight of the gimbal itself as close as possible to 200 grams or less.
Last edited by RC_Danny; Apr 30, 2016 at 03:28 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 30, 2016, 09:24 PM

Telemetry radio wiring question

So I have a telemetry radio to mount on the quad but of coarse the radio wire included does not fit and it has 1 red wire and 3 black and there is no pin info on the outside connector of the quad. Also the connector on the bottom of the quad does not match either of the cables that came with the radios.
So I have to make 1 cable from the 2 of them.
I can use a volt meter to figure out 5v and ground but TX and RX are a guess. If I hook them up backwards will it kill anything or will it just fail to work? and then I can swap TX and RX and try again?
I'm trying to avoid opening the quad to ohm out the connector and figure out what is what.
Last edited by brlowe; Apr 30, 2016 at 09:27 PM. Reason: spelling correction
Apr 30, 2016, 09:40 PM
Quote:
So I have a telemetry radio to mount on the quad but of coarse the radio wire included does not fit and it has 1 red wire and 3 black and there is no pin info on the outside connector of the quad. Also the connector on the bottom of the quad does not match either of the cables that came with the radios.
I can use a volt meter to figure out 5v and ground but TX and RX are a guess. If I hook them up backwards will it kill anything or will it just fail to work? and then I can swap TX and RX and try again?
I'm trying to avoid opening the quad to ohm out the connector and figure out what is what.
Connecting the RX and TX in reverse isn't a problem, just make sure you have the voltage and ground correct as you mentioned (I've fried more than one this way). Once you have that worked out, connect it up and if it doesn't work, then swap the RX/TX and you should be good to go.

Dan
Apr 30, 2016, 09:59 PM
I weighed my gimbal and möbius today.
Quanum 3 axis möbius gimbal 146gr with mount and screws.
Möbius with sd card 47gr.
So with gimbal, camera, telemetry radio and an FPV transmitter I should be under 1300gr total weight. If I add OSD it will go up a few more but not much.

Quote:
I got the new motor in and closed it all up after inspecting it and cleaning up some solder joints. Cleaned a lot of flux residue from the factory joints. Some stock flying weight with battery(321gr) is 1063gr. I still want to add gimbal and camera but not till after I have flown and tested it.
Apr 30, 2016, 10:09 PM
Quote:
I weighed my gimbal and möbius today.
Quanum 3 axis möbius gimbal 146gr with mount and screws.
Möbius with sd card 47gr.
So with gimbal, camera, telemetry radio and an FPV transmitter I should be under 1300gr total weight. If I add OSD it will go up a few more but not much.
Considering the specs of your quad you're golden at that weight, nothing to worry about in my opinion. It will fly differently of course with the added weight, but you should still have plenty of throttle response left.
May 01, 2016, 06:05 AM
"Learn or Burn"

Battery.

I modified my Novas to take the Multistar 5200mAh short fat battery.This involved raising the PDB which it looks like they've done on the Pro.With my lardy 1663g Nova I got around 7 minutes to the LVA.Since then I've used the LiHv Multistar battery and get at least 10 minutes flight so I recommend these for trying in the Nova Pro.I'll certainly be stuffing one in there straight away.They are cheaper then the stock 5200 Multistar and just a fraction bigger.If the 5200 stock battery fits then so should this one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=84097
May 01, 2016, 06:09 AM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
Have a look at the HKPilot Telemetry unit.That has the wiring connections clearly marked.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_915Mhz_.html
May 01, 2016, 09:57 AM
That would have helped had I looked at it before I pulled the connector apart.
Did not think of it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jagger
Have a look at the HKPilot Telemetry unit.That has the wiring connections clearly marked.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...2_915Mhz_.html
May 01, 2016, 10:35 AM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
That would have helped had I looked at it before I pulled the connector apart.
Did not think of it.
Oh well.

Nothing wrong with getting acquainted with the insides.

I'm pretty certain mine is going to turn up while I'm away doing my course next week.I avoided expedited shipping.If it turns up before I'll have a play with it when I'm down there.
May 01, 2016, 10:58 AM
I'll be interested to read the updates on this new version, still not heard of a CX version so maybe this is exclusive to hobby king?

Be interesting to find out if there is a PM and you can get volts and mah readings
May 01, 2016, 11:05 AM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
Originally Posted by cyberdyne101
I'll be interested to read the updates on this new version, still not heard of a CX version so maybe this is exclusive to hobby king?

Be interesting to find out if there is a PM and you can get volts and mah readings
There is.It's built into the PDB.That much has been spotted already.
May 01, 2016, 11:48 AM
So the LiHv battery is just a couple mm larger in all dimensions so it may be tight. I went ahead and ordered 1 plus a charger to try it out. If it works I will stick with those I think.
I should be test flying later today.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jagger
I modified my Novas to take the Multistar 5200mAh short fat battery.This involved raising the PDB which it looks like they've done on the Pro.With my lardy 1663g Nova I got around 7 minutes to the LVA.Since then I've used the LiHv Multistar battery and get at least 10 minutes flight so I recommend these for trying in the Nova Pro.I'll certainly be stuffing one in there straight away.They are cheaper then the stock 5200 Multistar and just a fraction bigger.If the 5200 stock battery fits then so should this one.

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...dproduct=84097
May 01, 2016, 11:52 AM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
So the LiHv battery is just a couple mm larger in all dimensions so it may be tight. I went ahead and ordered 1 plus a charger to try it out. If it works I will stick with those I think.
I should be test flying later today.
They are just a touch squeezy in mine but nothing too difficult.I ordered one and a cheap Turnigy LiHv charger.Then I got a couple more and an expensive charger.
May 01, 2016, 12:09 PM
Quote:
I will try to get you a picture tomorrow. As far as I know they made the lower she'll deeper to fit the bigger battery. It slides right in without any tilting. I think the shell should be a direct replacement but can't guarantee that.

Thanks, looking forward to it!
May 01, 2016, 04:19 PM
Here are the pics of the battery bay.

I see my note got cut off on the last pic. The battery comes right out when you put it in with the wires on the bottom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim V
Thanks, looking forward to it!

Quick Reply