Hobbyking Quanum Nova Pro (Cheerson CX Pro ?) - Page 2 - RC Groups
Apr 29, 2016, 06:35 PM
Ok so my new Multistar 2312 980kv motors came today. Other than the green color they look the same.
So I put one on the test stand with the same battery, esc and prop and the results were identical. So I will only be changing out 1 motor and the rest will be saved for back up.
I will be putting it back together tomorrow and will start getting it all setup to fly.
I will weigh the quad after I have it all together to get a basic stock flying weight.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 29, 2016, 07:20 PM
Is it possible to take some pics of the battery bay please? I would like to figure out the changes they did to the Pro shell for taking the 5200mAh pack.
In my Nova I should raise the board about 15mm so the pack can be slided in under an angle and then once inside placed flat, but with 15mm the FC touches the underside of the top shell.
Would be great if shells were a direct swap to solve everything at once :-)
Thanks in advance.
Apr 29, 2016, 08:45 PM

Back together and ready to setup

I got the new motor in and closed it all up after inspecting it and cleaning up some solder joints. Cleaned a lot of flux residue from the factory joints. Some stock flying weight with battery(321gr) is 1063gr. I still want to add gimbal and camera but not till after I have flown and tested it.
Apr 29, 2016, 08:48 PM
I will try to get you a picture tomorrow. As far as I know they made the lower she'll deeper to fit the bigger battery. It slides right in without any tilting. I think the shell should be a direct replacement but can't guarantee that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wim V
Is it possible to take some pics of the battery bay please? I would like to figure out the changes they did to the Pro shell for taking the 5200mAh pack.
In my Nova I should raise the board about 15mm so the pack can be slided in under an angle and then once inside placed flat, but with 15mm the FC touches the underside of the top shell.
Would be great if shells were a direct swap to solve everything at once :-)
Thanks in advance.
Apr 29, 2016, 10:55 PM
Let the future tell the truth
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dogdude

1. Looks like some sensible improvements like bigger battery, full APM unit so not soldering to the cut down flight controller required
2. Oddly no change on the landing gear, they should have made it much tougher and a little taller
1. Agreed. Also ...
- Redesigned PDB, with APM PowerModule built-in
- Bottom half of body a bit deeper (for battery), and re-designed to hold SiK Telemetry (or I suppose 5.8ghz FPV) radio on external side
- Now using GPS/Barometer Combo-Module in puck

2. Agreed. One of the first things I noticed. How hard would it be to design similar looking legs, but about 4-5cm taller, and maybe a slightly wider stance.

But yes, the new updates out-weight the still-missing updates. With the added room, should be easier to upgrade to PixHawk if desired.
Last edited by Tesla1856; Apr 29, 2016 at 11:07 PM.
Apr 29, 2016, 10:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brlowe
I got the new motor in and closed it all up after inspecting it and cleaning up some solder joints. Cleaned a lot of flux residue from the factory joints. Some stock flying weight with battery(321gr) is 1063gr. I still want to add gimbal and camera but not till after I have flown and tested it.
That was quick ... good work.

Glad to see that HobbyKing rectified the situation quickly.
Apr 29, 2016, 11:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jagger
I just ordered one too.I've got a PNF coming and I'll stick an Frsky RX in it of some flavour.The spec is so close to my current slightly modified PNF Nova that it's scary.

Being a PNF I'll be opening it up for a nose around as soon as I get my hands on it.

Hey Dogdude.Have you seen what became of your CX-20 thread ?
Specs are nearly spot on to both my birds... I guess they've been paying attention to posts lol.
Apr 29, 2016, 11:23 PM
Well yes and no. They are crediting me $20. I purchased the new motors myself.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tesla1856
That was quick ... good work.

Glad to see that HobbyKing rectified the situation quickly.
Apr 29, 2016, 11:32 PM
Quote:
They should have sent you out a new motor immediately... $20 is a bit lame when they sent you a brand new $300 quadcopter in that condition.

Is what it is, you made the right decision I probably would have done the same, but with a bit more yelling.
Apr 30, 2016, 12:13 AM
If you read my other post they gave me 3 options and one was a new motor but they are over 4 weeks out. The other option was return it and get a new replacement. I went for the $20 and the new motor was only $17.
So I'm ok with it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RC_Danny
They should have sent you out a new motor immediately... $20 is a bit lame when they sent you a brand new $300 quadcopter in that condition.

Is what it is, you made the right decision I probably would have done the same, but with a bit more yelling.
Apr 30, 2016, 01:06 AM
Quote:
Right.

I was just surprised they provided all those options, and they acted quickly on the one you chose.

Hopefully, as production ramps up, they will have some exact spare parts in-stock ... or improve QC so it doesn't happen in the first place.
Apr 30, 2016, 03:47 AM
Quote:
If you read my other post they gave me 3 options and one was a new motor but they are over 4 weeks out. The other option was return it and get a new replacement. I went for the $20 and the new motor was only $17.
So I'm ok with it.
First, I'm actually a big fan of Hobby King... they do have their faults sure, but that's where most of my disposable income seems to go these days. So I'm not looking to beat up on them, just pointing out a few misses on their part.

I had read your posts here and on the other thread. They may have acted fast, but I just feel given the situation suggesting that you wait 4 weeks isn't in their best interest, and obviously not yours. The other options they offered weren't much better in my opinion.

You definitely are a very understanding person, and it seems like you don't mind busting out the soldering iron to swap out some motors. I'm the same in that regard, but fact is, the majority of the buying public couldn't even describe what a soldering iron actually is. Basic quality control is one of the primary things preventing the Nova/CX-20 from dominating sales in that class.

As a business owner, looking at it from that perspective and given the fact that it's a new (improved) product launch they should have expedited a motor out immediately. Otherwise posts like yours end up all over the net, and it hurts sales.
Apr 30, 2016, 03:57 AM
"Learn or Burn"
Quote:
First, I'm actually a big fan of Hobby King... they do have their faults sure, but that's where most of my disposable income seems to go these days. So I'm not looking to beat up on them, just pointing out a few misses on their part.

I had read your posts here and on the other thread. They may have acted fast, but I just feel given the situation suggesting that you wait 4 weeks isn't in their best interest, and obviously not yours. The other options they offered weren't much better in my opinion.

You definitely are a very understanding person, and it seems like you don't mind busting out the soldering iron to swap out some motors. I'm the same in that regard, but fact is, the majority of the buying public couldn't even describe what a soldering iron actually is. Basic quality control is one of the primary things preventing the Nova/CX-20 from dominating sales in that class.

As a business owner, looking at it from that perspective and given the fact that it's a new (improved) product launch they should have expedited a motor out immediately. Otherwise posts like yours end up all over the net, and it hurts sales.
I'm looking forward to the "why does my quad flip on takeoff" posts to come flooding in if they carry on putting QC stickers where they don't belong.( although the ST props should change that to "why don't my props fit ? "

Hopefully this was just an early production cock up and they'll sort it quickly.If I get one with three left handed motors I'll give them a tongue lashing (although I have a full set of 2312/980s to slot in if needed.I won't tell them that.)

It's silly that with a Tarot X6,a DYS X8 and the 680 Pro kicking around I'm still getting quite excited about getting this little birdy. It shows as despatched.
Apr 30, 2016, 04:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Jagger
I'm looking forward to the "why does my quad flip on takeoff" posts to come flooding in if they carry on putting QC stickers where they don't belong.( although the ST props should change that to "why don't my props fit ? "

Hopefully this was just an early production cock up and they'll sort it quickly.If I get one with three left handed motors I'll give them a tongue lashing (although I have a full set of 2312/980s to slot in if needed.I won't tell them that.)

It's silly that with a Tarot X6,a DYS X8 and the 680 Pro kicking around I'm still getting quite excited about getting this little birdy. It shows as despatched.
Early production issues? lol, I'm not even going to go there.

With the hex I'm building, I've got 6 hobby class multi-rotors and at least another 6 toy class mini birds. My CX-20's have more airtime than all of them combined.

I do like the looks of the new one, great new features... next sale I'll grab another.
Apr 30, 2016, 09:00 AM
As I re read my post to you Danny I sounded a little like an ass, sorry I did not mean too.
Yes I was not completely happy with the options but I wanted to get it flying so that is why I took the $20.
I'm sitting here counting in my head the number of quads I have,
4 micro/nano.
4 120mm-180mm
2 250mm
Nova pro
Hover things HT-FPV
Hobby King 450mm X Quad
S500 with pixhawk
A Quanum Chaotic on the way
And about 5 others in bags with all the parts to build new ones.
Yes I have a problem.

Quote:
Early production issues? lol, I'm not even going to go there.

With the hex I'm building, I've got 6 hobby class multi-rotors and at least another 6 toy class mini birds. My CX-20's have more airtime than all of them combined.

I do like the looks of the new one, great new features... next sale I'll grab another.

Quick Reply