1 x S912 Luctan
1 x Transmitter
1 x Battery Charger
1 x 9.6V 800mAh LiFe Battery
1 x Phillips Screwdriver
1 x Hex Wrench
1 x User Manual(English)

Introduction:
It's been quite some time since I have owned an RC car, years probably. I have truly missed this portion of the RC hobby, I can't believe how much fun I had during my first test run. The S912 is not yet hobby-grade, but not so much a toy either. Thanks to the large 390 brushed motor, it's got quite a bit of power, and reportedly, is capable of speeds of up to 33MPH. I did have trouble maintaining control of the truck in dirt, I found it was much easier to drive on concrete.

As soon as I received this package from amazon, I immediately opened it up and got to charging the 9.6V battery, meanwhile I started tearing into the truck, checking out all the goodies, attaching the accessories, getting the truck ready for some punishment.

The battery pack is labeled as a 9.6V Li-Po, I'm no expert, but I think this is incorrect, after doing a little research, I've narrowed it down to it being a Lithium Ion battery, that may very well also be a LiFe battery

The truck's frame is made up almost entirely of plastic parts, allowing for a cheap repair or replacement of damaged sections. Even with the plastic frame, the truck runs great, I love how the rear suspension drops during full throttle acceleration, it just looks so realistic.

Manual, also includes a parts catalog, in case something breaks. There are lots and lots of replacement parts that can be purchased.

Package from amazon arrived in immaculate condition.

Transmitter with adjustable trim. The transmitter works good, the best way to describe it is: it's got a very lightweight, cheap feel to it. Power comes from 2 AA batteries.

9.6V battery pack, I believe it is a LiFe battery pack.

Standard wall charger w/mini tamiya connector

Rear spoiler, easy to install, it is held in place with the 4 included screws.

Extra clips, steering wheel, wheel nut wrench

Plastic canopy

The S912 Luctan

Wheels look great, the rim is plastic and the tires are rubber, providing excellent traction on concrete. I did have a little trouble controlling the car on loose gravel/dirt. Wheels are easy to install/remove with the included wrench.

S912 uses plastic struts, with a metal spring. On a closer inspection, it seems the springs are the only thing exerting any type of pressure, the shock's piston moves in and out freely.

Those grooves on the perches are just for show, they are not adjustable

It's possible to adjust the truck's height by screwing the top of the strut tower into one of these 3 holes. outermost hole = highest/ softest, innermost hole= lowest/stiffest ride.

Took the front wheels off

and the rear wheels

Receiver/ control board

servo to control the steering

The heart of this truck is a 390 Brushed motor, providing a huge amount of power.

Test Drives
I was very excited to take the truck out for a test drive

I was pleasantly surprised, the power, the speed, and even the durability exceeded my expectations on all levels. I first tested the S912 around the cul de sac in front of my house. I started off slowly, feathering the throttle just to get the hang of it. Once I got a taste of full throttle, I was hooked. The tires provide a good amount of traction on concrete, enough to climb straight onto a 6" sidewalk!

Driving on dirt: I would have hoped that being an off road truck, it would be able to handle driving on dirt better than it does. I have a really hard time driving in a straight line in dirt and loose gravel: time after time, I would end up spinning out, even if just barely getting on the throttle. If I lower the throttle enough, I can drive perfectly straight, but whats the point in doing that...

I love getting this thing dirty, doing spinouts in dirt, creating dust clouds. I have not done so yet, but I eagerly waiting for some rain, so I can test out just how waterproof this thing really is.

Luctan GPTOYS S912 test run (3 min 1 sec)

GPToys S912 Luctan off road test run (3 min 8 sec)

GPToys S912 Luctan dirty donut leaves (0 min 52 sec)

PROS:
Powerful
Fast
Durable
Easy to drive
Semi-Waterproof
Easy to replace parts

CONS:
Different sized screws
Nuisance getting the clips in
Difficulty steering on loose gravel/dirt
On/off switch inside battery cover

Final Thoughts:
After a few weeks of playing with this truck, I feel this is a great truck for beginners or people with no experience, but I think even people with experience will enjoy this truck. Although I don't believe it can get up to the claimed 33mph, it is still pretty fast. Once you get the hang of it, it drives great, the steering is a little on the touchy/sensitive side, but with practice, it's something you can get used to. From my experience, I had a hard time controlling the truck in off road terrain, it tends to spin out if 15% or greater, throttle was applied. On the flip side, traction and control was much much better on concrete, taking big wide turns as well as sharp tight turns are possible thanks to how fast the wheels turn.

I have not tested the S911, but from the pictures, it looks similar, but with a few changes or upgrades, depending on how you look at it, including: fitted battery bay, thinner tires, steering trim on transmitter....

Lastly, the truck is composed mostly of plastic, if you drive the truck like me, jumping hills, crashing into sidewalks and trees, things are bound to break, it's a good thing parts are cheap to purchase, and the selection is pretty much the complete truck.
Last edited by Danq0; May 01, 2016 at 10:40 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 28, 2016, 02:49 AM
I think a Motor for steering is not a good deal! Wouldnt buy this truck
Apr 29, 2016, 05:33 PM
youtube.com searchfor danqfpv
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj111
I think a Motor for steering is not a good deal! Wouldnt buy this truck
sorry, it uses a servo
Apr 29, 2016, 05:55 PM
Buggy in style
The 9.6v might be lithium super capacitors...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Apr 30, 2016, 03:44 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danq0
sorry, it uses a servo
Iam confused now: in your pictures there is a Motor used for steering? Do you have a picture with the steering servo built in the truck?
Apr 30, 2016, 03:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IllusionX
The 9.6v might be lithium super capacitors...

Sent from my ONE A2005 using Tapatalk
Hehe great... Must really be a New power battery
May 01, 2016, 01:57 AM
it looks like it not grip anything.
and a motor instead of servo might make it hard to control at high speed. seems you just turn around make donut what ever you do drive slow or fast it just turn around.
May 01, 2016, 04:17 AM
Are you related to Steve Austin?

That seems a cool car! , but that servo is not my taste, that should be upgraded,

it looks alot like that pui peng car on gearbest
May 01, 2016, 03:11 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by djdj111
Iam confused now: in your pictures there is a Motor used for steering? Do you have a picture with the steering servo built in the truck?
At first glance i thought it was a motor too, replacement parts, lists it as a servo

http://m.gearbest.com/r-c-cars/pp_153784.html

This is for the s911, which has interchangeable parts with the s912
Last edited by Danq0; May 01, 2016 at 03:17 PM.
May 01, 2016, 03:16 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Engan
it looks like it not grip anything.
and a motor instead of servo might make it hard to control at high speed. seems you just turn around make donut what ever you do drive slow or fast it just turn around.
I could never get traction on dirt, which is a shame with it being an off road truck, but from what i have read from other reviews as with my personal experience, it grips very well on concrete.

Quick Reply