Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
May 21, 2016, 09:01 AM
Blue Skies
I flew 3 batts in my EZ yesterday. The 3 batts were the stock 3S 1300mAh, an E-flite 3S 1350mAh one and a 4S 2200mAh one. I put the 1st 2 batts in with the aft strap across about the 1/3 mark of the front part of the batteries. With the 4S I could only put it in. It takes up the entire compartment. I only did it because I had crashed my Corsair with the batt in it after only 2 mins flt time. I don't like to take batts home mostly charged. I like them down to about 3.7-3.85volts/cell for storage in case I don't get to fly them for awhile.

The aft position seem perfect for the right CG. The plane glides in without power with the lighter batts. All you have to do is finesse the last foot by pulling aft on the elevator ever so slightly for a smooth landing. If you add a little power, the plane climbs. But a little power helps land with the larger batt. For nice relaxed flying, the smaller batts are great. There's still plenty of power for nice loops. Climbouts on takeoff just need some slight aft stick unless there's wind to help.
Don
to remove ads between posts
May 21, 2016, 09:03 AM
Where on the wing did you choose for a CG mark Don?
May 21, 2016, 09:04 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
Where on the wing did you choose for a CG mark Don?
The marks you see in my pictures are 60mm aft of the LE. But I'm flying with a CG around 70-78mm.
May 21, 2016, 10:50 PM
Finally got to maiden mine today. Got in in just before another rain storm hit. Slightly windy but couldn't stand it any longer. Used the 1300mah battery. Flight was fine-will have to wait to see if it needs trimming on a calmer day. AWESOME! Plane flew great. Placed battery as far back as I could. Only issue I had was coming in to land it pourpoised very badly. Could have been the wind,could have been pilot error-not sure. Was a little tail heavy with CG. Landed hard and flipped over-because I stalled it, but no damage. The second landing was alittle better,but still fighting it. Think I will try moving battery more forward or trying the 2200 mah and see what happens. Flight was great,even windy and I am still green. Now if the weather will cooperate, look forward to flying it again soon.
May 22, 2016, 03:45 AM
Blue Skies
Congratulations on the maiden Tman. A little nose-heavy is better than tail-heavy for sure. Moving the batt forward to the midway point will fix that. And on windy days you want more weight forward than usual. Some pilots use softer tires from Dave Brown for more cushion on landings, but I haven't tried them to fix the porpoising. The only cure I've used for bouncy landings is to ease her down smoother to TD. If your Tx has the capability, some more Expo or lower rates, or some of both will help you ease it down slower. It all about practice. You'll get better the more you fly.
Don
May 22, 2016, 09:09 AM
Thanks hifinsword, if the weather breaks today I am going to move the battery forward and give it another shot. Thanks for the info on the wheels,but I think these will be fine for a while. I was just fighting the plane so hard when in came in to land-I had my hands full. Came in fine-then about 10 feet from ground,the nose went up. So i went around and attempted again,same thing,but not as bad. Thought I was pulling back on elevator slightly but may have been too much-don't know. There was a lot going on and I didn't want to crash on the maiden if i could help it. Will try again and see what happens. Like I said it could have been pilot error. I do know this plane flies good and i like it so. Just have to work on the landings.
May 23, 2016, 07:06 AM
Got in a late afternoon flight. Moved the battery forward in battery bay. This helped. Plane flies great! Lighter wind-needed little trim. 1300 mah pack,just flying around getting use to the plane. This plane flies better than the Gama I was flying,much more control and not all over the place and twitchty. Timer was set for 5 min. At the end of that time-still had plenty of get up and go in pack,so flew for 2 more min. On landing approach,plane settled in nice and straight-no porpoising-as it settled down,touch down was made-looked good-but didn't see a rock. Hit the rock-ripped the landing gear out from under the plane and of course plane nosed in and broke the prop. Some glue will fix the landing gear and bottom of plane. However I had bought APC props and I can't get them to go on tight-something is just not right. Put broken prop back on and it tightens down properly. Anyone changed out the prop and had an issue???
May 23, 2016, 12:01 PM
Anyone have any issues changing out to an APC prop? Can't get the prop adapter to tighten down on the APC.
May 23, 2016, 12:05 PM
Might be thinner than the adapter was designed for. Add a washer.
May 23, 2016, 12:33 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
Might be thinner than the adapter was designed for. Add a washer.
APC is definitely thinner. Compare hub thickness to the FMS prop and add washers/spacer to compensate. I'm using an APC 10/5E with no issues.
May 23, 2016, 12:39 PM
The E and Sport APC props have nice thick hubs.
May 23, 2016, 01:54 PM
nw757 did you have to use washers on your APC prop? I have the ACP 10/5e part #LP 10050E.
May 23, 2016, 03:14 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman00
nw757 did you have to use washers on your APC prop? I have the ACP 10/5e part #LP 10050E.
Yes, I used a 2 mm thick washer.
May 24, 2016, 09:45 AM
hey thanks mw757. I put two thin washers on-one in front of prop and one behind. I think they are same thickness as yours. worked like a champ.
May 26, 2016, 10:52 AM
got 2 flights in yesterday afternoon. Man I love this plane! First flight on a 1300mah pack-good flight. Second flight was on a 2200mah pack. This was the first flight on this pack (new pack). This too was a good flight, but seemed sluggish. Hopefully get a couple of more flights in on this pack and will see a difference. Had this happen on another pack. After about 4 cycles you could tell a difference in performance and flight time. My plane seems to be real picky on battery placement. Have the 1300mah figured out,but the 2200mah will just fit in tray and was nose heavy. But they were both good flights.