May 02, 2016, 09:41 AM
Got everything set up on the new SuperEZ this past weekend. Will set the radio up tonight. Not sure when i will get the maiden flight in, between work,weather and stuff going on with family-not looking promising anytime soon. One thing I found out is I hate the battery compartment! No room. Trying to get the velcro straps to tighten up to securely hold the battery is a huge pain in the rear end.
to remove ads between posts
May 02, 2016, 09:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman00
One thing I found out is I hate the battery compartment! No room. Trying to get the velcro straps to tighten up to securely hold the battery is a huge pain in the rear end.
Yeah, total PIA.
I never did come up with a good way to do it.
May 02, 2016, 01:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnFM
Yeah, total PIA.
I never did come up with a good way to do it.
Glad to know I wasn't the only one with an issue with it.
May 02, 2016, 01:28 PM
Could I use the turnigy 9x with this plane?
May 02, 2016, 01:50 PM
Use whatever you want as long as your RX and TX are compatible.
May 11, 2016, 06:44 AM
Blue Skies

A wide range of CGs on the SuprEZ

I took some planes to the field Monday. The temps were in the 70s, wind was calm - in other words, a perfect day for flying. Due to a stripped ELE servo with one of the planes I took with me, I ended up with extra batts to fly in the SuprEZ. The stripping on that plane happened apparently after flight checks during the initial roll. So no damage.

My 1st batt was an 850mAh 3S. It weighs 80g. I started with it pushed as far fwd as possible. With no wind to light wind, it was fine. So I moved it aft as far as possible. But the straps were not across the batt so I moved it forward just enough for the back strap to hold the front of the batt in place. Just as with the batt fwd, it did fine in the aft psit. At 50% power it holds level flight. It's a breeze to float it in deadstick to a greaser with only some very slight backstick just before TD. Loops were nice.

The next batt was the stock 1300mAh batt, which I again flew with the batt forward and also aft as far as possible. With calm winds, it felt better in level flight in either psit compared to the windy days I've been flying in. But it required about 60% THR with the forward CG, but only about 50% THR to maintain level flt with the CG aft. Loops were easier and more circular with the batt aft, but only just enough power for a loop in the fwd position. As planes get heavier, deadsticking isn't something I do. But with these lighter batts, being able to deadstick to a landing is a requirement. Otherwise, adding THR will just move you further down the runway.

Next was a Fli-Power 20C 1500mAh 3S batt I've had for awhile now. I only flew it in the aft position. The flight was very similar to the stock 1300mAh batt - plenty of power to do a loop and only 50% to maintain level flight. Deadsticks to a smooth landing only required some slight aft stick under a foot to go prior to TD. With only a little power on, it was easy to bring it in smoothly if deadsticking isn't your thing.

I had my 2200mAh 3S batt I've flown before with the EZ, but I decided to try a WildCat 30C 4S 2200mAh batt that actually fit the batt bay better than my 3S 2200mAh batt. It weighs 246.6g or 8.7oz. It's lighter than the 3S 2200mAh by 6g, and although longer, it's not as wide by 2mm. The dimensions are L108.2x 33.02x 34.8mm or 4.26x 1.3x 1.37in. I put it in as far aft as possible.

TOFF & landings were fine but you do need to fly it in with power on landings, no deadsticking it. Power, as expected, over the top, but there is such a thing in this case as too much power. At over 80% THR the motor sounded like it was coming off its mounts and had I kept the power on, I'm sure it would have. Loops were easy and level flight required about 60% THR. I would not recommend this much power unless you are willing to reinforce the motor mount and balance the spinner & prop to exacting specs.

The SuprEZ has a wide CG range. I feel safe in saying you can fly almost any batt up to a 3S 2200mAh safely in this plane with the CG anywhere from 62mm to 81mm aft of the wing's LE. But it definitely flies better in a CG range of 70-80mm aft of the wing's LE. With the smaller, lighter batts in the AFT CG ranges, it flies level at 50% THR vs 60%THR in the fore CG range of 62-65mm. With heavier batts, loops are easier to achieve and rounder at the top with an aft CG. And you aren't applying constant aft stick or needing to trim in UP ELE on landings with an aft CG.
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; May 11, 2016 at 07:34 AM.
May 11, 2016, 07:06 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by dbranch2480
Could I use the turnigy 9x with this plane?
You can use any Tx you want with this airplane. The Turnigy 9X, depending on the removable Tx module you've installed, can be any of several protocols. Here's a link to my blog on protocols.
You should understand protocols in general before you pick one to use. Otherwise you will be hauling several Txs to the field when you want to fly. Sometimes it can't be avoided, but to some degree it can.
Don
May 16, 2016, 08:10 AM
What did you guys use to hold the battery in place? With the 1300 only one strap fits around the battery and I am not sure it will hold the battery securely in place. I am not sure the straps will hold the 2200 in place either. Would like to maiden this bird,but don't want the battery flopping around while doing it.
May 16, 2016, 08:28 AM
Just find the strongest velcro you can. It'll hold the battery in place without trying to mess with a strap.
May 16, 2016, 09:22 AM
Thanks JohnFM, I have done that, now the problem is the velcro that "glued" the the battery tray is coming loose as well. Hopefully between the new velcro and 1 strap it will stay in place.
May 16, 2016, 09:31 AM
I yanked out that funky little plastic tray and epoxied in a basswood plate to fit. That makes a good solid surface to attach the velcro.
May 16, 2016, 12:16 PM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tman00
Thanks JohnFM, I have done that, now the problem is the velcro that "glued" the the battery tray is coming loose as well. Hopefully between the new velcro and 1 strap it will stay in place.
Tman, I only use about 3/4 of an inch of Velcro on the battery, not the entire length. I use only 1 of the straps around the battery, the back one usually. And it works just fine. Haven't had one come loose yet.
Don
May 16, 2016, 12:32 PM
Thanks hifinsword...that make me feel better about it.
May 20, 2016, 06:15 PM

Defect

I'm guessing this is a defect. I only get one elevator servo movement and right aileron

1200mm super ez defect (0 min 29 sec)
May 21, 2016, 08:40 AM
Blue Skies
There's a plastic spar connecting the left and right sides of the elevator. The only way you can get one side to move is if the plastic spar is broken. The control horn is integrated into the spar so the right side must still be connected. If that is how it came out of the box from the retailer, it's a defect in either packing, shipping or the product.

As far as the aileron, it seems to only be moving forward, i.e. the aileron would only be moving down, no up movement. The servo itself is a problem but you don't show what and how it's connected to your rx. Is it the stock one or one you supplied? Depending on your rx and how it's setup, you can control each aileron separately.

Was this a PNP or RTF purchase? Was this how it was received from the retailer, or did you get this from a 3rd party?
Don
Last edited by hifinsword; May 21, 2016 at 08:50 AM.