May 14, 2017, 12:31 AM
Niceoldlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by cjpace
Hi all, I'm getting my EZ ready and setting up servo throws... I can't really seem to get 15mm of aileron differential, even maxed out on the horn and clevis. Rudder and elevator I had no problem. Seems like I can get around 12mm max on the ailerons, but maybe this is not a big deal as the early part of this thread seems to indicate it is sensitive on ailerons anyway??
I fly mine with 10mm of throw both up and down on all control surfaces, flies great. Of course I don't do stunts or 3D with that but that's not why I have this plane,
to remove ads between posts
May 14, 2017, 09:20 AM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Hi all, I'm getting my EZ ready and setting up servo throws... I can't really seem to get 15mm of aileron differential, even maxed out on the horn and clevis. Rudder and elevator I had no problem. Seems like I can get around 12mm max on the ailerons, but maybe this is not a big deal as the early part of this thread seems to indicate it is sensitive on ailerons anyway??
Are you setting max throws on the AILs by moving the control rod to the inner most hole on the control horn and the outer most hole on the servo arm? If that is set, there are 2 other easy options. One is to get longer extensions on the servo control arms. And two is to change the "Travel" percentage on your Tx. But going over 100% can be a problem with certain stabilizers.
Don
May 14, 2017, 09:48 AM
Maximum throw is the outer most hole on the servo arm and inner most hole on control horn.
May 14, 2017, 10:56 AM
Name: IMG_2545.jpg
Views: 14
Size: 857.3 KB
Description:
This is the setup (similar on the other aileron, never mind the out-of-place keeper). I think the radio setup is ok too... when configuring endpoints the unattached servos ran out of travel well before the max/min pulse width of the Tx. Travel is symmetrical and both servos move the same amount (I'm driving them both with the standard Y-harness.
May 14, 2017, 01:50 PM
Blue Skies
Quote:
Attachment 10038085
This is the setup (similar on the other aileron, never mind the out-of-place keeper). I think the radio setup is ok too... when configuring endpoints the unattached servos ran out of travel well before the max/min pulse width of the Tx. Travel is symmetrical and both servos move the same amount (I'm driving them both with the standard Y-harness.
That's the right mechanical setup for max throws. If the "TRAVEL" menu on your Tx is set to 100%, the only other limit is the D/R setting. You should be able to go to about 125% for each direction, UP/DOWN on D/Rs on most Txs, but I think that's dependent on the Tx. Of course you can go up to 150% on the "TRAVEL" setup and then back off the percentage on the D/R menu so it doesn't overdrive the servos. That's the usual way to find & set max travel for the servos. But I don't recommend over 100% on the "TRAVEL" menu if using some stabs.

The "TRAVEL" at 150% and D/Rs at 125% should be all it can go, and probably more than the servos can go. But that's the only other setting I can think of to maximize the throws. If the servos are hitting their limits at less than the max, that's all it can do. I don't understand how your servos could be any different than the rest of us unless they are not the same as the stock ones the rest of us received.
Don
P.S. A mix, differential or a flapperons setup could limit the travel if any are present.
May 15, 2017, 12:54 AM
You could make a longer servo arm...

Another way to get more authority would be to extend the chord of the aileron. Basically, turn SuperEZ into SuperEZ3D!
May 15, 2017, 05:39 AM
Thanks for the different comments on the aileron setup.... I think I will just go ahead and see how it flies first before making other changes, I just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing something simple during setup (first time doing this)
May 17, 2017, 04:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ken Myers
The 18 gauge is the smaller wire. Remember that as the gauge number increases, its diameter decreases.

I was on the FMS site and the new, upgraded version, V2, has the same part number for the ESC listed as V1.

Just an observation, as I was surprised to see the smaller diameter wire on the power leads of the ESC of my student's plane.
I was wrong in guesstimating the power lead gauge on the current stock ESC. I had one in my hands today while diagnosing an ESC/Motor issue for one of my student pilot's planes. The wire actually says 20AWG. I knew it was small, but that is just unbelievable.

The problem turned out to be a bad ESC, which Motion RC is said to be replacing.

I was quite surprised that there were no comments from you folks about the small gauge power wire leads after my first post. To me, 20AWG seems just too small for power leads on an ESC rated at 20A.
May 20, 2017, 12:23 AM
Going back to balsa
I got a nice relaxing flight in on my stock EZ today, and after recharging the battery found that I had only used one amp hour for a fifteen minute flight.

Anyway after landing on the beach here on the Tomales bay discovered that I had my camera in a pocket. So here is a respectable photo of my flying site.