Apr 17, 2016, 10:18 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Bad Ass alert !

Real Hero stuff , read this account of real battle field stuff http://taskandpurpose.com/unsung-her...lican-guard-2/
Apr 18, 2016, 04:54 AM
L'enfer c'est les autres
Quote:
Originally Posted by rockyboy2
Real Hero stuff , read this account of real battle field stuff http://taskandpurpose.com/unsung-her...lican-guard-2/
Remind me again - why was that unit in Iraq killing Iraqis?
Apr 18, 2016, 04:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by H2SO4
So you could sit on your ass and think about how 1/2 a degree is going to kill us all.
Apr 18, 2016, 05:03 AM
L'enfer c'est les autres
Quote:
Originally Posted by saltyzoo
So you could sit on your ass and think about how 1/2 a degree is going to kill us all.
That's nonsensical. Iraq was not a threat to either of us, nor were they particularly implicated in AGW.
Apr 18, 2016, 06:52 AM
Quote:
That's nonsensical.
Just as yours was.
Apr 18, 2016, 07:00 AM
Quote:
The most advanced and well equipped military in the world, taking on a dirt poor 3rd world country that had no real ability to fight back is not what I consider "real hero stuff".

But hey, if it makes you feel all patriotic and proud, then go for it.
Apr 18, 2016, 07:21 AM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
Do you have any accounts of Iraqi troops who you would say are "heroes" for having killed invading US, Australian or British troops?

Or is your definition of "hero" completely subjective?
Apr 18, 2016, 07:28 AM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
We might as well ask - why did we turn an authoritarian but stable and secular society in the middle east where for example Christians could attain high positions in government, into the quagmire that Iraq is today?

But topics such as these are to be kept out of US discourse. The invasion of Iraq should be viewed in terms of whether or not it was a success for the US, the effects that it had on US troops, the costs of the war to the US, and so on.

Similarly, Iraq itself should be entirely blamed for us having invaded it.
Apr 18, 2016, 07:36 AM
Suspended Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000
We might as well ask - why did we turn an authoritarian but stable and secular society in the middle east where for example Christians could attain high positions in government, into the quagmire that Iraq is today?

But topics such as these are to be kept out of US discourse. The invasion of Iraq should be viewed in terms of whether or not it was a success for the US, the effects that it had on US troops, the costs of the war to the US, and so on.
The first Iraq war was justified - kick them out of Kuwait, very thoroughly so they wold not try such things again, then stop.

The second was naked aggression , not UN supported, and turned a stable regime into an unstable one.

And the USA has NOT learned the lesson of 9/11. . The USA CAUSED it. Nobody else.
Apr 18, 2016, 07:56 AM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Powell
The first Iraq war was justified - kick them out of Kuwait,
Yes absolutely. Removing belligerent occupiers from the land that that they belligerently occupy is completely justifiable.

Security concerns should be for the people living under belligerent occupation, and not for the belligerent occupier.

-----------------------------------------------------

My reasoning is of course completely objective, and I understand that some people who's reasoning is subjective may disagree with me, depending on the subject.
Apr 18, 2016, 08:50 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee
The most advanced and well equipped military in the world, taking on a dirt poor 3rd world country that had no real ability to fight back is not what I consider "real hero stuff".

You are talking about Iraqis in Kuwait, right?
Apr 18, 2016, 08:55 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sonny McGhee

Wow , you got it all figured out dont you
Apr 18, 2016, 09:02 AM
L'enfer c'est les autres
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dusty1000

Similarly, Iraq itself should be entirely blamed for us having invaded it.
Agree 100%. It makes me nauseous to think that my tax dollars paid for some of the bullets and explosives which tore those people apart.

I imagine many of the veterans of that war may feel less than heroic. Even the crew of the Enola Gay can reason that their actions saved lives, in a sense. What accomplishments can those who invaded Iraq in 2003 look back upon with pride? The hundreds of thousands dead and maimed? The children suffering cancer and other effects of chemical toxicity? The Blackwater kickbacks? The tragicomical lack of a plan for what to do once the last of the defenders died or gave up the fight? ISIS? The Paris and Brussels attacks? ...

Professional soldiers are not to blame for the lunacy of their leadership, but I doubt many would think of themselves or be remembered as heroes.
Apr 18, 2016, 09:45 AM
Flower of Scotland
Quote:
Agree 100%. It makes me nauseous to think that my tax dollars paid for some of the bullets and explosives which tore those people apart.
Mine too.

Quote:
I imagine many of the veterans of that war may feel less than heroic. Even the crew of the Enola Gay can reason that their actions saved lives, in a sense. What accomplishments can those who invaded Iraq in 2003 look back upon with pride? The hundreds of thousands dead and maimed? The children suffering cancer and other effects of chemical toxicity? The Blackwater kickbacks? The tragicomical lack of a plan for what to do once the last of the defenders died or gave up the fight? ISIS? The Paris and Brussels attacks? ...

Professional soldiers are not to blame for the lunacy of their leadership, but I doubt many would think of themselves or be remembered as heroes.
Certainly in the UK, I think it did much to change the perception of the purpose of the army as being a force to defend the country, or even someone else's country, into the exact opposite. It was obvious that we weren't the good guys in that situation, and the army was doing what it's supposed to defend against.

I fully agree, the soldiers were just doing what they were told, and don't expect that many would have guessed they would be used to invade another country when they signed up.

I heard recently on the news that the army in the UK is well short of its target for recruiting reserve forces, which is encouraging.
Apr 18, 2016, 10:22 AM
Killing strangers in a strange land makes all safer!

Just wait for Cruz or Trump to start carpet bombing, that will show them! It will totally eliminate the problem. Not one soul left to be mad! No will take offense.

Quick Reply