Apr 15, 2016, 04:58 PM
Thread OP
Question

how to make a new canopy from an old one

Hey guys I just got a OLD TF P-39 it needs recovered and updated. (I am thinking the white tail scheme) anyways the canopy is yellowed really bad and ugly. it also comes way down on the fuse and I would like to trim it back so its not so badly fitted to the plane. Do any of you guys know how to make your own canopy?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2016, 05:09 PM
Pro Hoarder
Send the old one to Parkflyer Plastics..He can make a new one
Latest blog entry: In flight
Apr 15, 2016, 05:42 PM
Thread OP
awesome thanks
Apr 16, 2016, 03:11 AM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Haze , did you happen to pick that up in Norfolk VA at Debs RC Hobbies ?
Just wondering because I was in there a few weeks ago and viewed an old P39 hanging in the ceiling.
I bought an old TBM Avenger hanging in the ceiling and been making repairs.
In the event that PFP can't repare you can always rebuilt your frame and try to replace the glass with new plastic
Apr 16, 2016, 06:14 AM
Thread OP
LDM thats the one I worked out a deal with Andy and Les its going to sit there for a bit until I can get it home.
Apr 19, 2016, 07:58 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Very cool, we think alike I looked at that plane and felt "wow bare canvas " this would be a great rebuild !!!
Please start a thread would love to see your work !
My TBM is taking shape in the eletric warbird thread , it's been a fun bash/ rebuild
Apr 20, 2016, 08:41 AM
Thread OP
the same guy owned your TBM I think. I have to look into pant schemes I want to do something different. I think I saw where one guy did his with a white tail if I can do that with this I will.
Apr 20, 2016, 02:28 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
I was trying to get info on my TBM but was unable to ever contact the original owner.
I found his thread on RCU a while back but he had not been on for quite some time.
I know mine was crashed , not a bad crash but the elevator servos were definitely a bone of contention and my CSI skills led me to find the bottom fuse cracked and lower cowl.
Les said no crash but my findings prove differently.
Needless to say the ARF was originally $575 before shipping no on board equipment.
I pick this up for $300 with heavy duty retracts and all the servos ( exception of the bad elevator servos ) .
I think I got a good deal unless these other servos prove faulty.
So far I made the ailerons scale, the flaps scale , added an interior, lined the wells , gave the retracts forward rake, added a sliding canopy and full interior including the pilots , new paint , motor , esc and details.
Last to go will be the on board system and some more weathering.
Apr 21, 2016, 07:42 AM
Thread OP
if it was an arf it didnt belong to Andy I also know he likes to rake the forward landing gear so maybe its a different plane. If anyone knows of some cool unusual paint schemes for it I would appreciate the info.
Apr 21, 2016, 06:56 PM
Ldm
Ldm
Ldm
Don't know , Les have me the name but it was November .
Have you seen the ESM version , it's a white tail , pretty cool . I will try to get come pictures.
Apr 21, 2016, 08:30 PM
Thread OP
I havent seen it but if it fits with the version I have I will probably do that.
Apr 22, 2016, 11:37 AM
I worked with a buddy to make a mold with an old canopy. We poured plaster of paris in it. You gotta watch the heat but ours didn't distort. When it came time to pull the plastic, we heated it up in the oven then jammed it on the mold. Where we went wrong was using Pam cooking oil spray. When hot plastic touched, the oil boiled a little bit and we got a little fog. A different release agent woul have been better.
Edwin

Quick Reply