Oct 26, 2020, 01:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
The 260mm frame is a bit big for the turning response I'm looking for. 240-250mm 6" might be preferred if I rebuild.
Yes, the 240 mm 6" quad from this post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7002 is my favorite quad for open field flying. If flying in the restrained space behind the house, I prefer 210 mm 5" size.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2020, 03:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Gritsch
Yes, the 240 mm 6" quad from this post https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=7002 is my favorite quad for open field flying. If flying in the restrained space behind the house, I prefer 210 mm 5" size.
I need to build a new frame for my 6", maybe at 250mm. Could be my 6S project also. Thanks for the inspiration.
Last edited by gc_ober; Oct 27, 2020 at 10:58 AM.
Oct 29, 2020, 08:19 PM
Making a few changes going forward in frame builds:

1) Will add thread wrap on motor top plates at the middle.
Simple change that will strengthen the motor plate on the arm tube.

2) With 16mm mount motors, replaceable arms will use 9mm OD tubing, except for a 2204 frame design using 8mm OD.
A fastener modification allows an M3 to install into finished arm, without using a slotted plate hole.

3) Four center plates sizes cover the range 200-280mm. All use top mount batteries for LOS or go bottom mount if FPV .
Center plate assemblies are sized for sufficient strength.

4) Hot melt glue will be used in place of epoxy on CF parts where thread wrapping used.
Have worked on some bonding procedures and evaluated joint strength. A good thread winding technique is essential. Looks like it could work - Will try low temp glue initially.
Last edited by gc_ober; Oct 30, 2020 at 11:55 AM.
Nov 07, 2020, 09:14 AM
Built new frame using hot melt glue, 9mm replaceable arms, and improved motor plate wrap. Happy with the results and will continue with this.

Used a high temp hot melt glue and bonded with hot air using a thermocouple to monitor temp.

Hope all is well in your world.
Last edited by gc_ober; Nov 07, 2020 at 12:10 PM.
Nov 07, 2020, 04:52 PM
Very interesting, you keep improving the best
Nov 09, 2020, 06:14 PM
When I bought this 6" frame off you Tim, you asked me to let you know the failure type.. Well, I'm happy to say that its still going strong and thought I'd better give you an update.
I did epoxy/insert 1" long thin carbon tube ('feathered' to avoid acute stress risers) into the arms at the motor mount ends because it felt like a weak area. It added a bit of weight but I'm still glad I did it or it would likely have been binned long ago. Its had a few mild crashes but nothing major.

ZMX V2 2205 2300kV's
Racerstar F4s 35A AIO
KK 6040's and Cyclone? 5051's
Red rear and green front LED strips
Frsky XSR
WQ top plate
850-1000mAh 4S Graphenes

Dry weigh just shy of 200g

Its not exactly superlight compared to most others on here but the performance is still pretty good... good enough for me anyway. Probably 400+ packs through it now.

Thanks again.
Last edited by Ari33; Nov 09, 2020 at 06:23 PM.
Nov 10, 2020, 07:54 PM
Running 2206 on a 250mm tubular frame. I tried out a number of props and like the Avan 6" bi-blade and HQ 5.5x4x3 V1S (not in production, have some in black). T-motor 5147 looks good --- BB smooth and flight responsive -- it's a bit low on pk thrust and, of course can't match larger props for efficiency. A tri-blade 6" is too much inertial moment for a 2206 with a smaller battery -- flies ok but this shows in BB. My 6" bi-blades cause hi-frequency gyro noise with the Avans having the lowest.

Got the PIDs and filters tuned up in BB and it's a good performer with either 6" bi- or 5.5" tri-blade. Can fly this in my smaller field and not really missing my 5" quads. CRSF Shot is locked at 150Hz and delivers TX packets flawlessly. Dry weight is 194g & flies at 288g.
Last edited by gc_ober; Nov 12, 2020 at 12:35 PM.
Nov 16, 2020, 09:36 AM
Thread OP
I'd forgotten about that frame , that's an angled motors and pre-wrapped plates vintage tubular, glad to hear it's still going strong!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ari33
When I bought this 6" frame off you Tim, you asked me to let you know the failure type.. Well, I'm happy to say that its still going strong and thought I'd better give you an update.
I did epoxy/insert 1" long thin carbon tube ('feathered' to avoid acute stress risers) into the arms at the motor mount ends because it felt like a weak area. It added a bit of weight but I'm still glad I did it or it would likely have been binned long ago. Its had a few mild crashes but nothing major.

ZMX V2 2205 2300kV's
Racerstar F4s 35A AIO
KK 6040's and Cyclone? 5051's
Red rear and green front LED strips
Frsky XSR
WQ top plate
850-1000mAh 4S Graphenes

Dry weigh just shy of 200g

Its not exactly superlight compared to most others on here but the performance is still pretty good... good enough for me anyway. Probably 400+ packs through it now.

Thanks again.
Nov 19, 2020, 11:38 AM
I made a 230mm frame out of a need to just build something.

This is my third frame using hot melt glue - This doesn't save actual labor but it saves days of waiting for epoxy to set. And I am improving my technique with it.

I might move 2206 motor hardware from a 250mm to this 230 frame if I commit to a 5.5" size prop. Need to evaluate the 5.5" a little more.
Nov 19, 2020, 12:15 PM

Gutzebutze

Very impressive frameweight. Have you considered to bake your parts/frames? Reduces the time the epoxy needs to settle by quite some time. Just a thought.
Nov 19, 2020, 02:54 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gutzebutze
Very impressive frameweight. Have you considered to bake your parts/frames? Reduces the time the epoxy needs to settle by quite some time. Just a thought.
Yes I could get sufficient curing with about 2 hours at 65C. But doing that work in my kitchen is difficult. Maybe if I had an oven in my workshop it might be worth doing.

Actually I'm 'baking" the hot melt glue -- Glue has been pre-applied, parts are fixtured, and heat applied using hot air. But this happens in about 5 to 10 minutes. With separate center section and replaceable arm parts it is simple to heat these small areas using a hot air gun. Don't think I could do this very well on a large part like a one-piece frame.
Last edited by gc_ober; Nov 19, 2020 at 06:08 PM.
Nov 20, 2020, 10:58 AM
I moved 2206 hardware to a 230 mm frame and using 5.5-in props. Works well. Also found a good 6" tri-blade prop for my 2207.

I find black box essential to determine the right prop. I can also confirm a good prop and tune by its sound during a step command roll.

More 5.5-in props are coming from Australia. Wish I could order some warmer weather
Last edited by gc_ober; Nov 20, 2020 at 12:38 PM.
Nov 21, 2020, 05:45 PM
Quadaholic
@gc_ober, for baking small stuff, my might want to look at a thrift store for a toaster oven.

I like the step roll response BB test, the issue I had with it is otx does not output very precision lengths of time. You can set to 0.1sec, but they vary quite a bit because the way otx is programmed. For my rates I would like 0.24 sec single roll, this help visual roll stop analysis during tuning in the field.

I would be very curious to see your tuned rates BB log, vers 1900d/s log to see if the tune needs to be adjusted. i mostly try to do mine at zero thro, because its mostly how i fly (so it rolls and not corkscrews).

EDIT: Quadmovr just went 233mph with f80 2500kv motors on 6s1350
375kph / 233mph (0 min 15 sec)
Last edited by --Oz--; Nov 24, 2020 at 12:08 PM.
Nov 24, 2020, 12:03 AM

Tiny tubular

New tiny 1s tubular. 75mm motor to motor. 2mm arms (pultruded). The frame weighs about 2 grams. 0802 motors (with bearings) and a beta fpv board with build in RX. Total weight 16 grams (kind of a disappointment, I had aimed for 3 grams less).

I have not extensively tested yet, so I can't say much about the performance.
Nov 26, 2020, 11:11 AM
Ending my fourth season with RC quads. I'm thankful for this hobby, especially during this crazy year of restricted social interaction and travel.

It's fun for me to look back on the progression in design and with acro LOS flying. And this year digital image quality markedly increased my interest in FPV'ing.

Thanks to Tim R for getting me started with tubular frame building.
Last edited by gc_ober; Nov 26, 2020 at 01:25 PM.

Quick Reply