Thread Tools
Aug 23, 2019, 09:05 AM
Quadaholic
--Oz--'s Avatar
Very clean build. excellent soldering too. What FC and Rx is that? Where do you get the ultra bright neon yellow vinyl (link)?
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Aug 23, 2019, 09:28 AM
Registered User
T-Motor T5147 props (4.5g) work well on my 234mm and 260mm LOS using high kv motors, both with flying and in blackbox performance. I can't say the same about GF5146 though. I think the GF5146 at 4.0g are too lightweight for these particular quads.

It's also nice having brighter colors for LOS compared to the Avans I've been using.
Last edited by gc_ober; Aug 23, 2019 at 10:31 AM.
Aug 23, 2019, 01:48 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
Very clean build. excellent soldering too. What FC and Rx is that? Where do you get the ultra bright neon yellow vinyl (link)?
Thanks.

The FC is a NOXE F4, currently $12.99: https://www.banggood.com/20x20mm-Bet...r_warehouse=CN
running my F4 port of SilverWare: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-of-SilverWare

The RX is connected to the FC via SPI (https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=625) for low latency and is an NRF24L01+ & PA & LNA labeled GT-24 available for about $1.50: https://www.aliexpress.com/item/32965514627.html
It is modded to be smaller and to have better range.

You could probably fly this setup using your Taranis if you get yourself an nrf24-multipro https://github.com/goebish/nrf24_multipro
or Multiprotocol TX Module https://github.com/pascallanger/DIY-...ocol-TX-Module

The yellow vinyl is called Orastick from the Oracover brand. I got mine from a store in my country: https://www.conrad.at/de/p/oracover-...nd-517628.html
I ordered it together with a lot of other neon-colors, see attached pic. The photo does not do justice to the neon effect.
Aug 24, 2019, 04:07 PM
Registered User
Flew my 234mm 5" and 280mm 6" quads today - the beauty and the beast.

The 234mm is a very responsive 5" and pretty quick with 2205-2700kv on 850mah, 4S. Below is a BBE screen shot of the step response 360^ snap rolls. Unfortunately, after a minor dust up with an immediate disarm I found an esc motor output damaged. This is the second identical failure of an Aikon AK32PIN. Not continuing with these -- I have ordered a Spedix IS35 to replace.

The 280mm 6" is really quick. I had to disarm and let crash today --coming in my direction with no time to pick up orientation. Maybe I'm not used to the speed, or I am fooled by it's bigger size not judging speed well. It's certainly a different beast than my 5"ers and a keeper.
Last edited by gc_ober; Aug 24, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Aug 25, 2019, 09:31 PM
Quadaholic
--Oz--'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
Flew my 234mm 5" and 280mm 6" quads today - the beauty and the beast.

The 234mm is a very responsive 5" and pretty quick with 2205-2700kv on 850mah, 4S. Below is a BBE screen shot of the step response 360^ snap rolls. Unfortunately, after a minor dust up with an immediate disarm I found an esc motor output damaged. This is the second identical failure of an Aikon AK32PIN. Not continuing with these -- I have ordered a Spedix IS35 to replace.

The 280mm 6" is really quick. I had to disarm and let crash today --coming in my direction with no time to pick up orientation. Maybe I'm not used to the speed, or I am fooled by it's bigger size not judging speed well. It's certainly a different beast than my 5"ers and a keeper.
Can you share the BB log, that way I can zoom in to the data I like to see?

BTW, the mini tube frame guys "seem" to be over prop'ing/under battery C rating their quads to get these awesome G's, so, what kind of battery life cycles are you guys getting on these 14:1+ setups? tia
Aug 26, 2019, 07:00 AM
Registered User
PIDF used are 28,10,34,170. D gain is 14, D min is 4. ff_max_rate_limit is 110 and ff_boost is 7.

Minimum acceptable battery session time for me is 5 minutes with my normal flying style and I'm guessing this is more than most. Less time is too stressful on the battery from my experience, especially in hot weather. Longer time is likely leaving some performance on the table. So I select the motor prop and battery with this as one consideration.

I expect my batteries to last a flying season and periodically check capacity, IR and, of course, watch for gas development. I'ved lost one, maybe two batteries this year due to damage (a cell went wonky) although this doesn't say a lot without knowing how much I fly.
Last edited by gc_ober; Aug 26, 2019 at 10:02 AM.
Aug 26, 2019, 10:36 AM
Quadaholic
--Oz--'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
Minimum acceptable battery session time for me is 5 minutes with my normal flying style
5 Minutes! Thats only 3x longer than I get!

Any other tube guys chime in on flight time (battery/motor/prop would help too)?
Aug 26, 2019, 07:18 PM
FPV Addict
Yamaford's Avatar
So I never ordered these motors in the past because I always thought they would take forever to get here. Payed for these Aug 21st. They showed up today, the 26th. I can't wait to get them mounted up
Aug 26, 2019, 08:51 PM
Quadaholic
--Oz--'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaford
So I never ordered these motors in the past because I always thought they would take forever to get here. Payed for these Aug 21st. They showed up today, the 26th. I can't wait to get them mounted up
I use the 2400kv version os that motor, simply the best and most reliable motors I have used, killer EZO bearings, never ever have I bent a shaft, v3 zero slipped magnets, I have one set that has 10K flights on them, the magnets have lost some of their strength, but I think I got my money worth out of them.

Even QuadMcFly says they compete with $25~30 motors, just goes to show who is ripping you off.

FYI, if buying from myrcmart, never pay for the warranty (save 2~3 bucks a motor), as they make you ship the motors back, that pretty much screws the pooch.
Aug 26, 2019, 10:42 PM
FPV Addict
Yamaford's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
I use the 2400kv version os that motor, simply the best and most reliable motors I have used, killer EZO bearings, never ever have I bent a shaft, v3 zero slipped magnets, I have one set that has 10K flights on them, the magnets have lost some of their strength, but I think I got my money worth out of them.

Even QuadMcFly says they compete with $25~30 motors, just goes to show who is ripping you off.

FYI, if buying from myrcmart, never pay for the warranty (save 2~3 bucks a motor), as they make you ship the motors back, that pretty much screws the pooch.
I've got an old pico blx fc and a can't remember esc but I dont know what its rated at. I almost threw it on this build but wasnt sure if it would hold up to 4s and whatever amps I'll be pulling so I went 15 grams heavier for the 3030 stack.
Aug 27, 2019, 01:51 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaford
So I never ordered these motors in the past because I always thought they would take forever to get here. Payed for these Aug 21st. They showed up today, the 26th. I can't wait to get them mounted up
I'm a big fan of the rcx motors. I have nk1306, nk1407, nk2204, nk2306 and nk2207. Just got a new set of nk2306 1700 kv to put on a 6s quad. The only thing that annoys me is that the screw at the bottom protrudes beyond the motor base. That means washers on the motor mounts. I just don't get why they didn't use a screw with less height.

Cool thing about the nk2204 is that they use very strong bearings. They will last a long time! That's why they're also a tad heavier than the lightest in the class. To me the tradeoff makes sense.
Aug 27, 2019, 06:53 AM
Registered User
SirDomsen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
5 Minutes! Thats only 3x longer than I get!

Any other tube guys chime in on flight time (battery/motor/prop would help too)?
I usually fly my 2205/225mm tube quad using 4S/650 and 550 batteries. Flight time is depending on flying style for sure, I also doubt that I am in the 14:1 T/W range, but around 12:1. Quad weights 160g without battery, the 550 weights 70g, the 650 85g.
With my usual flying style I get around 3:30 to 4:30 out of one batttery, 80-90% DOD.

My favourite props on this quad are either GF Windancer 5043 or plain old RCX 5040 quad blades (nice for 3D)

The key is the weight: If you don't need to throttle up much, even for fast punchouts (full throttle is held for 0.5s, not more usually), battery gets not punished much .

For small area 3D cruising I use 3S/450s up to 3S/650s for 5min fun
see here:
Silverware Tube 225 mm maidened! (4 min 21 sec)
Last edited by SirDomsen; Aug 27, 2019 at 07:03 AM.
Aug 28, 2019, 03:03 PM
Quadaholic
--Oz--'s Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDomsen
80-90% DOD.
That's got to be hurting those packs lifecycles. I try for 40% left in them when landing (perfect storage at 3.85v).

Anyways, awesome to get that kind of G's and flight times preformance!
Aug 28, 2019, 04:17 PM
Brisbane, Australia
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDomsen
I usually fly my 2205/225mm tube quad using 4S/650 and 550 batteries.
I see the Emax Aliexpress store has those motors you are using (I presume yours are 2600kv?) on special for US$5.67 (plus shipping) at the moment.
Aug 28, 2019, 05:39 PM
Registered User
SirDomsen's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ian444
I see the Emax Aliexpress store has those motors you are using (I presume yours are 2600kv?) on special for US$5.67 (plus shipping) at the moment.
Thanks, mine are 2300KV though. Great little motors except for the prop nuts that ruined one shaft. I ordered mine from GB back then, I believe around 7$. Tempted to try the 2600KV version


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools