Aug 05, 2019, 01:27 PM
@bex you really got the piro circles down! Looks nice with the 6”!
to remove ads between posts
Aug 05, 2019, 02:33 PM
GF 6042 props

Ran these 6" bi-blades for evaluation using my 260mm with 2206.5 -2700kv motors and 1100mah 4S.

Total thrust is very good, acceleration consistency is good. Audible noise is acceptable. Had high rate overshoot on step response - just needs some tuning. Good energy efficiency in spite of bad kv mismatch -- 850mah, 4S looks practical for my next 280mm build. Not sure about throttle response - might be a little "slow" compared to 5" although this can be deceiving since quad size is larger.
Aug 05, 2019, 03:19 PM
Hello,

Some compilation on my crashs since 3months
It's always with the same TRX, 210mm. 37,5grs

Crash Compilation of TRX Tubular quad (2 min 52 sec)
Aug 05, 2019, 04:48 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomy
Hello,

https://youtu.be/qu6Ln7LFmrc
What a great video! I enjoyed every second.
Aug 05, 2019, 09:52 PM
Wut wut wut
FPV Racing as spectator sport.. I just never see it happening. What they need to do is just have people crashing quads constantly and showing us the outcome.. man I'd totally tune into that. The suspence after every crash waiting to see the result.. when its your own quad its worrying, when its someone else's its exciting.

Very cool video dude.
Aug 05, 2019, 10:13 PM
Wut wut wut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackjack160
Thanks everyone for the great thread!
Too bad it's only %20 ultralight/tubular, and 80% other topic (quite interesting but still...).
I have some ideas I would like to discuss.
I think fiberglass tubes have potential for quad arms, they are not as stiff as carbon fiber, but they have better toughness (impact resistance).
For source I would look for arrows - cheap ones are fiberglass. They also has different diameters and materials - including aluminium, carbon, and aluminium/carbon hybrids.
For epoxy, if there are thick layers/fillets, it's good to use fillers like microballoons/microspheres - they are lighter and also stop crack propagation, making epoxy not so brittle.
Also some random idea - crush motor wire near strain relief, providing "breakaway" point so it will not lift pads from FC.
Arrows have come up before, I think at least one person built a frame from them. I ordered a few different arrows but never used them for a frame. Biggest annoyance with them is figuring out what the heck you're buying. The sizing seems crazy.

I got some aluminum/cf mix ones.. the CF is like pultruded, all the fibers just run length of tube so you're mostly depeneding on aluminum to stop tube from being crushed. I'm not sure what properties aluminum have that is benefiting this vs CF running perpendicular to stop its from being crushed.

Fiberglass I'm not sure anyone has tried, I don't really recall it being discusessed. Rockwell Composites(?) some company like that, sells some interesting tubes, I believe they have Fiberglass, but also like Kevlar tubes and mix of CF and Kevlar. I could see some alternative working for maybe the 40-50g range. Where a 40-50g CF tube frame will be pretty indestrutable, but it'll also be so stiff while you don't break frames you'll end up bending motor shafts and stuff. Where as maybe 40-50g Fiberglass frame might survive crashes and the flex would lower peak forces on other parts. I think FG would have issue getting down to 20-30g range.. even CF tubes sometimes I go up a little in size for stiffness.. and I'm not even considering crash worthyness, just I don't want a floppy frame. I don't see fiberglass getting that light and not being a noodle in the air.

Maybe I'm wrong, actually very likely I'm wrong.

You should build up a frame and see how it goes.
Aug 07, 2019, 01:43 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexamous
Where a 40-50g CF tube frame will be pretty indestrutable, but it'll also be so stiff while you don't break frames you'll end up bending motor shafts and stuff.
Since the newer (2+ year old) rcx rs2206 motors came out with 4mm shafts (steps to hollow 5mm where prop is) I have yet to bend one, even on my 430g auw tanker with a lot of miles (400+ hours of flight time total on two sets of 4 motors, guessing over 1000 crashes). Anyone bend 4mm shafts, if yes what motor(s)?

Thinking about it, maybe the extra long motor protection the raptor has helps a lot?
EDIT: I been flying the raptor for 3yr 8months and have broken 5 arms total, including learning to fly acro, tough when I was stuck in Horrible mode for so long.
Last edited by --Oz--; Aug 07, 2019 at 06:49 PM.
Aug 10, 2019, 10:05 PM
Frame #42:

Moved my 2205 hardware to a 234mm frame (+26mm). Wanted to fly it with a slightly larger frame.

Recessed the front LED between centerplates to assist structural support in the center section. Cap for Aikon AK32PIN and receiver are also located between centerplates.

A 280mm 6" is in the workshop.
Last edited by gc_ober; Aug 10, 2019 at 10:56 PM.
Aug 11, 2019, 02:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
GF 6042 props

Ran these 6" bi-blades for evaluation using my 260mm with 2206.5 -2700kv motors and 1100mah 4S.

Total thrust is very good, acceleration consistency is good. Audible noise is acceptable. Had high rate overshoot on step response - just needs some tuning. Good energy efficiency in spite of bad kv mismatch -- 850mah, 4S looks practical for my next 280mm build. Not sure about throttle response - might be a little "slow" compared to 5" although this can be deceiving since quad size is larger.
Impressive, really impressive!
Aug 11, 2019, 04:11 PM
FPV Addict

Cinewhooper craze

I'm in the duct tape and zip tie stage for now trying to find the proper cog vs props out of view but thought you guys might like to follow along. This top plate will be trimmed down alot an this weight is with the gopro battery still in. Not sure on the battery yet, this is a 550 3s. Probably go with a 4s and ditch the gopro battery so it should wash.
Aug 11, 2019, 08:58 PM
FPV Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by gloomy
Hello,

https://youtu.be/qu6Ln7LFmrc
OMG that was fabulous! lol
Aug 11, 2019, 09:24 PM
FPV Addict
Here is my um Progress?? lol enjoy my failure. I haven't practiced as much as I should but I do feel im improving every session.

LOS flying with reelsteady GO! (4 min 30 sec)
Aug 13, 2019, 04:47 PM
frame #43:

280mm tubular frame with 2206-2122kv motors and GF 6042 props is built and flown.

Results:

1) 850mah 4S battery provides more than minimum session time.
2) Accel is OK at 13.2 G; although could be better.
3) Quad at its motor limit in step response to 1300d/s.
4) Extreme yaw jump due to a combination of lightweight and high inertial moment. This jump impacts even normal flying.
5) 280mm is fun to fly in a big field!

Next action:

Change motors to higher kv: 2206-2522kv.
Reduce max RP rates to 1200d/s.
Use motor tilts (already done and this reduces yaw jump significantly)
Aug 15, 2019, 09:41 PM
Quadaholic
I bought some CNHL batteries for my planes, 4s-1300-40c ($9) and 4s-2200-70c ($22)

Comparison:
4s-1300"
TG 65c 175g
CNHL 40c 147g
CNHL 100c 180g (more than the TG, wow, I still think the Tg is a better battery when pushed and longer life cycles)

TG 4S 1800 65c 240g
CNHL 4s 2200 70c 285g

I will do some IR testing after break in and flying (its nice to do hobby stuff at work, lol)
Aug 15, 2019, 10:43 PM
Brisbane, Australia
What standards/setup do you use for IR testing? I'm interested because everyone probably does it different, and there could be something for me to learn. In the past I have used an average current draw that the battery would deliver over the duration of the flight in the quad that the battery is being used in. Then compare no-load to loaded voltage, at a couple of points during the discharge curve.

I have a bunch of batteries that need IR testing right now and a bit of free time, hence the interest.

Quick Reply