Jul 21, 2019, 02:41 AM

Vert 200mm

Keep pushing to make this one of best vert armed quads out there... Latest one fresh off the cutter
to remove ads between posts
Jul 21, 2019, 03:01 AM
Looks slick
Jul 21, 2019, 10:48 AM
Quadaholic
@Big Gles, that looks awesome!
Jul 21, 2019, 03:38 PM
Quadaholic
ISDT Q6+ 12V input, 14A output, how?,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,1S12 P battery (28AH), powered by 12v 60W brick
Jul 21, 2019, 05:21 PM
Thx guys, always a fun process of designing You guys are sure getting some serious charging gear on the go!
Jul 21, 2019, 07:20 PM

124mm, 3 inch prop tubular quad

My new 3 inch flyer with 4mm tubular arms. Originally I wanted to use the crazybee f4 but one of the esc was DOA. In the end I used the geprc 12a fc + and r-xsr because I wanted telemetry. I used the amax 1103 motors and mounted them using two layers (needed 5mm total width) of heat shrink + motor screws. The frame comes in at 7gr with steel screws for the fc embedded in the top plate (I glued two 0.5mm cf top plates together with the bottom one having slightly larger holes to encompass the screw head. The bottom plate is 1mm). I am using gemfan 3025 ptops. In total this quad weighs 45gr which more than I aimed for... a failure in some sense.

I haven't flown it much, but it flies nice on a 300mA 2s. I am getting about 2 to 3 minutes. I will need to try a slightly larger battery or one with a higher C rating because this one was not able to sustain a punch out for long. Everything on this bird is 3S capable (motors being the limiting factor).

After thoughts :
- I could have saved some weight by using nylon screws for the flight controller, but I was afraid it would be a pain to repair if one broke.
- The motor mounting is relatively heavy because I needed to use 8mm screws and the double heat shrink layer. A small CF mount would probably weigh as much.
- the F-P tab on the geprc does not feature a bidirectional inverter so it is quite useless for f-port unless you so not care about telemetry.
Jul 22, 2019, 12:21 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
Funny, I have about the opposite experience, I think its do to I have a relatively new isdt q6+ ($30 used) and I dont like its interface (maybe like the new Junsi chargers). My icharger is an older model, the 306b is a 4 button interface, simple and quick, I like it.
The x6 only has one tiny button which can be pressed in, up and down. Very easy to get a up or down press when you want to press in. And you have long and short clicks to cover everything.

Even with that very bad control you could probably make it work. But the user interface is unnecessarily bad as well. Given the good functionality Iím surprised by how bad the UI really is.

Maybe itíll be ok once you have designed a custom program for each charging situation. But thatís not how it works. Iíll always need to change the current depending on how many lipos I put in the charger. You wouldnít believe how many clicks that takes ...
Jul 22, 2019, 01:02 AM
I find the X6 UI quite OK. Although I feel my fingertip once I think at the charger

I made a programm for most of my battery types containing my preferred charging (the way of balancing, the criteria for charge end, end voltage, etc). Since you can copy the profiles no big deal. Charging current I adjust right after start since it varies how many batteries I charge parallel. Meanwhile I use one charger for 2S (an old Hype X8 running cheali charger), the 208b and the x6 for 3S and 4S. X6 for sure is the perfect field charge due to its size
Jul 22, 2019, 01:44 AM
Wut wut wut
I don't have an X6 charger, UI seems simlar to the 406duo... IMO lots of people use the UI incorrectly...

IMO you don't need 20 programs, I have 1 program, [email protected] well I mean I have others, but I use this one 99% of the time. I hook up whatever lipos and then basically double click to start my [email protected] programs, its basically always preselected because it was always the last one I was using. Then just as it starts I long press to bring up current adjust and I spin knob on my 406duo to 20amps or whatever is appropriate for lipso I have connected. I can even start my 3amp program and then adjust current down to 1amp if I have a single 300mah lipo connected or something before charger actually gets to 3amps.

I've run across many people who don't even know current adjust exists, they select program, edit current, then start program every time. IMO there is more navigation steps in there that are annoying.

Also now reading @SirDomsen's comment, he's got it right, adjust current after starting.
Last edited by bexamous; Jul 22, 2019 at 02:02 AM.
Jul 22, 2019, 02:16 AM
Wut wut wut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gles
Keep pushing to make this one of best vert armed quads out there... Latest one fresh off the cutter
That design looks pretty well done... actually how do motors mount on there? What holds that motor mount in place? Long motor screws hold it together? -- Wouldn't you need like another plate on other side or something?
Jul 22, 2019, 02:23 AM
Wut wut wut
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad122
My new 3 inch flyer with 4mm tubular arms.
That frame is totally cool, little 3" tube frame? How cute. I"d want one just to have on my desk at work, haha.

But yeah I think you'll always have weight issues with it.. I don't think you can beat Tweaky frames at those small sizes. FWIW I'd try to get some Gemfan 2.5" triblades.. I keep going back to them. I swear all the 3" biblades are not well balanced or something.. I just feel on 2S quad is smoother at higher rpm with 2.5" props. Maybe the sound of biblade vs triblade is tricking me into thinkingn the triblade is smoother than its really not.
Jul 22, 2019, 02:41 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Gles
Looks really sleek and well thought out any flight reports from this w/e, I saw on Instagram SCat had a couple of protos to test.......

@Bex, if I'm not mistaken, they're held on with small (M2?) bolts and a washer plate (not shown) under the arm. @ Big Gles, do you tap M2 threads into the motor plates or let the screws self tap when tightening it up?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nomad122
My new 3 inch flyer with 4mm tubular arms........
Great job on the lovely small tubular frame , they do get a little fiddly to make at this size.

Had my first proper quad related injury a couple of days ago. Replaced the bearings on my 2204 motors then performed the newbie error of props on backwards. In my defence, half of my fleet run props in and the other half props out. Flipped out of my hand on launch and lacerated my index finger just above the knuckle before the anti Taz kicked in

Tried going back to thumbing yesterday, finger is wrapped up and splinted to keep it straight, actually prefer using the middle finger in a hybrid pinch. On the up side, the 2204s sound like new again.
Jul 22, 2019, 03:08 AM
Yes, small plates underneath and M2 screws hold the motor mounts on. I put a long screw in a drill and form the threads with that, better to form them than cut them with a thread tap imho. Just about everything is keyed into place to further reduce the reliance on the screws.

Both flew great, the shallow arm 12mm motor mount version and the deep arm 16/19mm motor mount version, I'll snap some pics.
Jul 22, 2019, 04:21 AM
Pics as promised, just let me know if there's something in particular you want to see.
Jul 22, 2019, 04:31 AM
the people squad
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74
Had my first proper quad related injury a couple of days ago. Replaced the bearings on my 2204 motors then performed the newbie error of props on backwards. In my defence, half of my fleet run props in and the other half props out. Flipped out of my hand on launch and lacerated my index finger just above the knuckle before the anti Taz kicked in

Tried going back to thumbing yesterday, finger is wrapped up and splinted to keep it straight, actually prefer using the middle finger in a hybrid pinch. On the up side, the 2204s sound like new again.
Ouch! sorry to hear, a salient lesson to us all to stay vigilant. Happens to the best of us....

Aas cavalier as I am, for whatever reason, I have backed right off the hand launch. I don't mind the catch; still do that, but now I have a double arm thingo happening, I guess I find it easier to set it down for take off. Probably not a bad thing in the long run.

Flew this frame from above, the 200 Vert1go today, going very well..... Shallow arm, 16/19 mounts
Last edited by schrodingers cat; Jul 22, 2019 at 04:39 AM.

Quick Reply