Thread Tools
Jun 16, 2019, 09:07 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhart
Thanks gc_ober. I agree about the wire and am planning on some silicone leader wire from esc to where the wires come out of tubes (providing I find some good 4mm or smaller woven c.f. tube) I also agree about the issues with motors being inverted and yes it helps me with my cog due to my battery mounting underneath. I also run Quadstar drones frame with minimal drag and weight... I haven't swapped the motor wires to magnet wire yet but full fpv,gps,6s, 2207.5 finx30 motors she comes in at 220g with heavy apc racing props, and runs a tad over 180mph on 4s...still haven't tried my 5 or 6s lipos on it yet. I think I may be able to get lighter with tube frame, just still want to keep drag down, it's amazing how much flat arms wide arms and open canopies slow these quads down

Anyone have a source for some 4mm OD x2mm ID c.f. tube...I've search dragonplate, clearwater, rockwest, ebay, Amazon etc etc, no luck but I imagine you guys are way ahead of me. Thanks!
In that size range I think you're looking at pultruded tubing. I have some square stock about that size. But I think that's too heavy for a 3-inch build and pultruded has limitations in strength directions.

You might find 5x4 or 4x3 millimeter CF wound. And you could just cut from cf plate in that size range. I don't think you're saving much weight with a 2mm hollow core.
Last edited by gc_ober; Jun 16, 2019 at 09:21 PM.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 17, 2019, 08:29 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Yamaford
Pulling the motor wires out would scare me enough to not run plastic screws.
Pulling out the motor wires could be a costly failure because of the possibility that a replacement motor is no longer available. I design to break a replaceable arm between the center plate and the motor plate and preemptively strain relief the motor wires at these plate points with reinforced tape. I did lose a 2207 motor by pulling out its wires (and the whole set btw) because I broke an arm and the strain relief was insufficient at the motor. The tape tore and the wires broke in the stator. I am now using better taping and no longer using motors quite that heavy.
Last edited by gc_ober; Jun 17, 2019 at 09:08 AM.
Jun 17, 2019, 09:07 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Very good point re the motor wires pulling out, which is not desirable at all. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe I'm just not crashing hard enough!
Speedy preemptive disarming helps when crashing, I feel.
Jun 17, 2019, 02:03 PM
Wut wut wut
Early disarm is really good IMO. Last second saves... 10% chance you save it, 90% chance you just hit the ground harder.
Jun 17, 2019, 02:54 PM
FPV Addict
Yamaford's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74
Very good point re the motor wires pulling out, which is not desirable at all. Maybe I've just been lucky, or maybe I'm just not crashing hard enough!
Speedy preemptive disarming helps when crashing, I feel.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bexamous
Early disarm is really good IMO. Last second saves... 10% chance you save it, 90% chance you just hit the ground harder.
I think this is the number 1 reason I can still afford to fly today. I chalk that up to "crashing is a skill".
Jun 18, 2019, 12:03 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober

My ESC/wire/ XT60 weight is 17g and likely will address that.
I decided to reduce frame size from 216 to 210mm, settling on a 5.0" prop. And ESC will go from a 30.5mm Spedix GS35 to 20mm Aikon AK32PIN. Estimating to save 5 grams overall. Don't know actual Aikon weight and I don't trust a weight specification on anything.
Jun 18, 2019, 03:31 PM
Registered User

Mini tubular and ultralight LOS Acro+FPV Quads


Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Gritsch
Combining it with the 1 mm mounts is probably a good idea to prevent crushed tubes. After my crushed tube experience, I went back to my trusted 5 mm motor mount technique. Works better for me


What you mean by “trusted 5mm motor mount technique”?
Are you using bits of motor mounts pieces cut from regular carbon fiber arms and glued inside the tubes?


Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Jun 18, 2019, 07:54 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
In that size range I think you're looking at pultruded tubing. I have some square stock about that size. But I think that's too heavy for a 3-inch build and pultruded has limitations in strength directions.

You might find 5x4 or 4x3 millimeter CF wound. And you could just cut from cf plate in that size range. I don't think you're saving much weight with a 2mm hollow core.
I doubt it would come in heavier than my 3 inch 6x3 aluminium tubing build (might be 6x4 can't remember), which comes in around 250g AUW (with 6S 550) and is very flyable.

Having said that there are better (lighter) options without using tubes in the 3 inch size which would come in significantly lighter.
Jun 18, 2019, 08:22 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by which.wabbit
I doubt it would come in heavier than my 3 inch 6x3 aluminium tubing build (might be 6x4 can't remember), which comes in around 250g AUW (with 6S 550) and is very flyable.

Having said that there are better (lighter) options without using tubes in the 3 inch size which would come in significantly lighter.
You're absolutely right. And you're in a different world of 3 inch as I think my 138mm LOS is porky at 62g and I fly with a 450, 2S.
Jun 18, 2019, 09:06 PM
Registered User
Put the Avan Flows back on the 2204 -- it's really nice. Nice performance improvement, lost about 1 minute session time over the HQ 4.3 V1S.

Sometimes I think this is the only 5" quad I need. It flies and handles perfectly. Then I fly the quickness of its bigger motor brothers and realize I also need these for an occasional thrill.
Last edited by gc_ober; Jun 18, 2019 at 09:18 PM.
Jun 19, 2019, 01:17 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arise
What you mean by “trusted 5mm motor mount technique”?
Are you using bits of motor mounts pieces cut from regular carbon fiber arms and glued inside the tubes?
The motor mounts are not cut from another frame but are custom made from Armattan. I started using this design here:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3182 and I'm still flying this frame. I just added some Kevlar wrapping around the center plate.

Some design files are attached to this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3568
It also contains a link to the Armattan parts.
Jun 19, 2019, 02:49 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Gritsch

Some design files are attached to this post: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=3568
It also contains a link to the Armattan parts.
I model this part weight at 4.3g. A Z axis cut as shown could reduce it to 2.6g without compromising strength in my opinion, but this might be expensive to CNC. I would just grind it off. And I see a number of ways to do this.

EDIT:
If it were my part I would trim it down for a 16x16mm mount, reduce the in-tube extension to about 12mm, and wrap at the end of the tube although need a way to spin the frame with these ends .
Last edited by gc_ober; Jun 19, 2019 at 06:34 AM.
Jun 19, 2019, 03:40 AM
Registered User
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
Put the Avan Flows back on the 2204 -- it's really nice. Nice performance improvement, lost about 1 minute session time over the HQ 4.3 V1S.

Sometimes I think this is the only 5" quad I need. It flies and handles perfectly. Then I fly the quickness of its bigger motor brothers and realize I also need these for an occasional thrill.
I've not tried the 4.3 Avan Flows, so many props nowadays to experiment with. Emax have recently come come out with a new range of Scimitar props, including a quad blade . Looks like they're only available in a translucent red colour though which is a pity.

Colour is one of the top priorities in a LOS prop for me, as I'm often flying against a dark woodland background. Some of the translucent colours just disappear.

Tried out the Gemfan 51466 in a fluoro yellow and pink combo yesterday, like them. Not the grippiest but decent speed and response. The fluoro yellow stands out well, one of the best props visually compared with all the other lightweight ~4 gram props.
Jun 19, 2019, 06:06 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by TimR74

Colour is one of the top priorities in a LOS prop for me, as I'm often flying against a dark woodland background. Some of the translucent colours just disappear.

Tried out the Gemfan 51466 in a fluoro yellow and pink combo yesterday, like them. Not the grippiest but decent speed and response. The fluoro yellow stands out well, one of the best props visually compared with all the other lightweight ~4 gram props.
I absolutely to see orientation on the quad to fly. I put enough tape coloring on the quad where the prop color augments visibility and isn't the primary visual aid. I find the pattern created by 10mm bands on the arms more conspicuous than a uniform color.

I tried the GF5146 on both my 210mm 2205 and 216mm 2206, in those colors These are lightweight at 4.0g and colorful like you say. The performance and handling is pretty good and my choice if it wasn't for Avan Flow.
Last edited by gc_ober; Jun 19, 2019 at 06:36 AM.
Jun 19, 2019, 06:45 AM
Wut wut wut
Tmotor 5143, Gemfan 51466, and Tmotor 5147 all seem like similar design.. I've mostly been flying the Tmotor 5147.. just like a little extra blade area. Not going for extra speed with the pitch or anything. just the blade is a little bit wider as well which I think helps. I guess I should try the Avan Flows again.. I liked them with 2205.5 motors, don't recall them on 2204.

Sad choice often becomes.. visibility or performance. Maybe I should try some tape on quad to have visibility.


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools