Oct 19, 2018, 10:38 AM
With your props off in acro mode and motors running, how much does your quad resist yawing when moved by hand? I recently built a largish, heavy setup and was really surprised at how much just the inertia of the motors would resist yaw changes (no props). Motors are quite heavy thought at ~65g each since they are 2215 2900kv, so they certainly store more angular momentum than normal mini quad stuff. Feels like I'm moving it through water.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 19, 2018, 10:46 AM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
Those are nice scopes. When I was much younger I belong to the local Astronomical Society and was going to grind my own mirror. However I took my hard earned money and bought a guitar which I still play many many years later. I'm still fond of telescopes but light pollution kills my chance of using locally.

I also remember watching the ISS go across the sky while camping in the Michigan upper peninsula. The local news station would announce times. How do you track that at 200 power since it flies across the sky so fast.
I use a freeware program called satellite tracker, I helped write the manual for it. Its pretty cool once you figure it out. My 14" is 3556mm FL, the lowest power I can get is 88x (41mm panoptic EP), after I center the satellite, then i bump up the power (17mm nagler EP), that puts it at 209x.

After about a year of visual observing with a goto scope, there is not a lot more you can see even in dark skies, that's where the camera comes in and narrow band filters (can of worms, haha). I used my 12" for a few years and then a guy told me to connect my dlsr and do a 30 second picture of M42, that moment switched me over to imaging,, or better called extreme photography, lol.

Here are some of my pictures, take it easy on me, I am a rookie.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/123906...57644116399277

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123906...57644517620291

https://www.flickr.com/photos/123906...57644531386954
Oct 19, 2018, 02:52 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Markus Gritsch
I'm running my props also in reverse. With this configuration tilting must be done that the two front motors are tilted towards each other and also the two back motors: https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...postcount=4704

I just tried 10 degrees and it worked fine. Maybe you can do some more experiments with different angles.
A 10 degree tilt of the motors made a significant reduction in yaw jump altitude gain at my highest and quickest rate command. 5 degrees tilt also made an reduction although less significant. I couldn't detect any shortcomings in yaw rate response, handling in the other quad axes, or in total thrust.

While I seldom would command a full rate snap yaw, it is reasonable that this motor tilt could subtly improve quad control with lower yaw acceleration / rates. I plan to incorporate a tilt between 5-10^ in my future frames.
Last edited by gc_ober; Oct 19, 2018 at 03:07 PM.
Oct 19, 2018, 03:20 PM
Yay, at last one convert
Oct 19, 2018, 04:18 PM
Quote:
Yay, at last one convert
This tilt is hard to implement on conventional tubular "glue it on a flat surface" build and not well suited for a plate frame.

Easier to do for your end of tube inserted motor mount, or my tubular jointed frame approach.
Oct 19, 2018, 06:00 PM
Quadaholic
Quote:
Yay, at last one convert

Quote:
Originally Posted by gc_ober
This tilt is hard to implement on conventional tubular "glue it on a flat surface" build and not well suited for a plate frame.
I would try it, but its a pain on my flat frame.
Oct 19, 2018, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--
So join in and build a tubular frame . It's fun and not too difficult!
Oct 20, 2018, 10:26 AM
The image below illustrates a tubular model with motor plates inclined 7.5 degrees. The direction of inclination is shown for reversed rotation props. This construction might be complicated with one piece arms and glued motor plates. I'm using replaceable arms here that are simple to turn.
Last edited by gc_ober; Oct 20, 2018 at 12:13 PM.
Oct 20, 2018, 02:24 PM

Motor mount breaking mid air - any ideas?

Today was not a good flying-day for my variable pitch quadcopter. One of the 3D printed motor mounts failed mid air.
Luckily all of the components survived the crash, no play and no bent shafts just rotor blades and 3D printed parts are damaged.

Since this is the home of crash-survivors ... Do you have any idea how to make it more stable?

Variable Pitch Quadcopter - motor mount breaking mid air (1 min 32 sec)

Variable Pitch Quadcopter - 3D printed motor mount failing mid air - FPV (1 min 41 sec)
Oct 20, 2018, 03:03 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by --Oz--

Have you considered something like this

I use them at my Totem 330 with great results (using the upper one only)
Oct 20, 2018, 03:42 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Woga65
Today was not a good flying-day for my variable pitch quadcopter. One of the 3D printed motor mounts failed mid air.
Luckily all of the components survived the crash, no play and no bent shafts just rotor blades and 3D printed parts are damaged.

Since this is the home of crash-survivors ... Do you have any idea how to make it more stable?

https://youtu.be/IxF1YVtHsa4
https://youtu.be/GSHYKh8qR30
ouch!

Looks like delamination?

Perhaps print it 90° rotated? Another material perhaps?
Oct 20, 2018, 04:07 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SirDomsen
ouch!

Looks like delamination?

Perhaps print it 90° rotated? Another material perhaps?
Yes, it is delamination!
If I print it rotated the motor mounting plate will become a weak spot. Those giant motors with the large blades on it cause lots of vibrations. I already tried PETG but it broke like glass. So I took ABS since it can take vibrations much better.

What about polycarbonate?
Maybe 3D printing is not the proper way to make mounts for big motors...
Oct 20, 2018, 05:25 PM
Quote:

I wouldn't tilt the motor if it adds any weight at all at the end of the arms.

But maybe I'm a little obsessive about weight. I don't like my arm end cap at 1/2 gram.
Last edited by gc_ober; Oct 20, 2018 at 05:38 PM.
Oct 20, 2018, 07:23 PM
I also plan to rebuild my 142mm 3", tilting the 1404 motors

Below I show a140mm tubular frame using tilted motor mounts. Mounts are for 9mm BCD motors. I use a 140mm size for 3" because the GNB 450 2S battery has a large profile. CF parts are 7.6g total.
Last edited by gc_ober; Oct 21, 2018 at 12:02 PM.
Oct 20, 2018, 07:36 PM
Quote:

Those mounts have the tilt axis 45 degrees off.

Even if they were tilting the motors into the right direction, the screws would not go through unmodified holes through a 5 mm thick carbon plate.
Last edited by Markus Gritsch; Oct 24, 2018 at 12:29 AM.

Quick Reply