Nov 26, 2018, 08:33 AM
Arr pieces of foam me hearties
We just got this plane as our first club trainer. Some videos of the unboxing, assembly and first flight.

Hobbyzone Mini Apprentice S RTF unboxing (5 min 43 sec)

Hobbyzone Mini Apprentice S assembly (10 min 26 sec)

Maiden flight of our new Hobbyzone Mini Apprentice S club trainer (5 min 20 sec)

Kwaz
President WA Electric Flyers
to remove ads between posts
Nov 26, 2018, 09:37 AM
It looks like you have a closely mowed smooth grass field to fly on.
One thing I really noticed when flying the Mini is that it is much more susceptible to damage or breakage of the front gear and associated parts on rough ground than the full size version.
May 13, 2019, 09:43 AM
I am putting the M-A receiver in another airframe. Does the receeiver mount with the antennas towards the nose and the pins to the tail, or the other way around?
Jun 18, 2019, 03:07 AM
Simon

Buddy Box Set Up

Hello All,

I have just (literally. I'm thinking of you lots Brian) inherited a new Mini Apprentice, unflown. I want to use it as a club trainer plane. I learned to fly on a Sportsman S+ on my own, I didn't realise how lucky I was to learn that way until I became a club instructer using a non SAFE plane. I still have the Sportsman, uncrashed.

I set my DX9 as per the manual, everything works. On the slave transmitter I set up a new model with no modifications and I go through the normal process to bind the transmitters through the Trainer menu on my DX9.

At this point, in theory, the panic button and the trainer button are on the same button. Will this work (too nervous to try it for real!) as a trainer button or a panic button or will I be handing it over in panic mode?

I guess I could re-assign one of these functions (panic would be the one) but I want to understand this point first in case I don't need to. I don't need a panic function and the student has me for those moments.

Thanks for reading,

Simon.
Jun 18, 2019, 05:45 PM
Perpetual Noob
Simon,

Set a switch (I use switch A) as the instructor/trainer switch. This leaves the button as the Panic switch but I prefer to just put the plane into beginner mode. It's the same thing.
Jun 20, 2019, 06:32 PM
i'm putting the Mini Apprentice receiver in a full size Apprentice. I know that it has to mount on its side, and that in the Mini it mounts on the left side. Does the pin end of the receiver go to the nose or to the tail?
Jun 21, 2019, 07:32 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tourist_603
i'm putting the Mini Apprentice receiver in a full size Apprentice. I know that it has to mount on its side, and that in the Mini it mounts on the left side. Does the pin end of the receiver go to the nose or to the tail?
Page 18 of the manual shows a picture of the receiver installation.
Antennas to the rear, pins to the front.
Jun 21, 2019, 08:02 AM
Got it. Thanks.
Jul 29, 2019, 12:42 AM

Mini Apprentice

Has any one removed the nose gear and main gear for motor gliding? Can the stock ESC be programmed for the brake to stop the prop from turning. Has anyone put a folding prop on to reduce prop damage and to reduce drag for gliding?
Aug 27, 2019, 05:51 AM

Binding a taranis

Hello, I am looking into getting then mini apprentice s. But i just want to make sure that if i change receivers I can bind a taranis.
Sep 26, 2019, 04:48 PM
Roger that!
Quote:
Originally Posted by VicT
Has any one removed the nose gear and main gear for motor gliding? Can the stock ESC be programmed for the brake to stop the prop from turning. Has anyone put a folding prop on to reduce prop damage and to reduce drag for gliding?
I have not, but it's easy to do. Four screws hold main gear to fuselage, iir 3 screws on cowl (after removing propeller), 4 screws attach nose gear, slip the linkage for nose steering out of the landing gear, reassemble and you're done! Dunno about the ESC programming. Here's a link to the 18amp esc, I'd call Horizon support or chat online with them to find out as it makes no mention of programmability.
https://www.horizonhobby.com/18a-brushless-esc-pkz1814

Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjax10
Hello, I am looking into getting then mini apprentice s. But i just want to make sure that if i change receivers I can bind a taranis.
I don't know why that wouldn't work, swapping tx/rx combos should be an easy job.

I just bought another Mini Apprentice RTF after flying my RealFlight for couple months.
Sep 27, 2019, 10:48 AM
Roger that!
Assembled, mechanical trim set and ready to fly. Only thing is the esc plug one wire keeps popping out even though I reseated the contact inside the blue plastic EC3 housing until it clicked in as it should. I'm hoping a new plug housing will fix it, solder is proper and not over flowed to outside of contact. Going to LHS today to pickup some spare props.
Sep 29, 2019, 02:25 AM
most exalted one
Hope this is the right place. We have a new member at our field with a mini apprentice and a Dxe.
I understand we cannot buddy box with a Dx5E?
If we use the Dxe as a master do we need the programming cable to set up the passthru/slave channels?
What are our options?
I have Taranis's(with module), Dx5E, Turnigy 9XR?
Can we use the Dxe as master and slave one of those? or do we need to use another members Spektrum(DX8, DX9, etc. ) as master, bound to the mini, and then use the Dxe with a trainer cord.
I know with the newer versions we could use the more capable radios and wireless training set up with the Dxe as slave.
Just trying to save the cost of another radio for now for the new member.
So many thjings happening right now, can't handle anymore research time. I have spent some time looking at options which might be buy another TX, cable, etc.
Is there a simple way?

OK.........guess not!
Thanks
Last edited by 4*60; Sep 30, 2019 at 12:58 AM.
Sep 29, 2019, 08:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jumpingjax10
No problem. I used a FrSky SX6R.
Sep 30, 2019, 12:17 PM
Roger that!
Plugged in lipo to trim it up the other day and it arms up, checking everything, (left battery door off temporarily) touched the connector and it re-arms, wth? Unplug battery and the positive ESC terminal fell out of the rear of the EC3 plastic housing, everything looked ok though inside the plug housing. Pressed positive lead back into housing until it firmly clicked into place as it should, plugged lipo back in and same thing, unplug and the lead fell out of the EC-3 connector. Called Horizon 3 times last week, done the callback thing (which worked before), but took them so long to call back (over one hour) that I was unavailable, LHS had no EC3 plugs to buy and fix it myself. Went to use the HK EC3 connectors I bought and their heatshrink tubing groove is so small it's unusable, that and they dont' plug together deeply enough with the genuine articles to be trustworthy. Called again first thing this morning and sat on hold for 30 minutes, hung up, going to replace all connectors with XT60s, just hate to do the brand new E-Flite lipos I just bought too, oh well. XT-60s have been very good in everything else.
Last edited by Bronco10; Sep 30, 2019 at 01:17 PM.

Quick Reply