May 26, 2016, 06:00 AM
The Apprentice Mini has the identical motor, esc and prop to the Parkzone Mosquito.
I was wondering how many watts the setup will provide. The plane is 735 grams and would need at least 160 watts to be decent. Someone on RCGroups had 188 watts on the Parkzone Mosquito. So maybe this will be possible.

I have 3 x Apprentice S 15e and 3 x Super Cub S. The Super Cub is hopeless if the wind blows. It does not have enough power and one has already blown away.

The Apprentice S 15e is a big plane for a park. It is better at a club. I have never flown mine in a park. The Mini does look good for a park.

I have a Durafly Tundra with the E-Flite SAFE RX and it is awesome. The 7th channel controls the flaps. This is a brilliant plane with SAFE installed. Way more fun than my Apprentice S 15e.

I would buy a Turnigy Graphene for the Apprentice Mini and would want more flight time. So maybe 1800. I already have 2 for my Tundra. They are heavier, however have a 65 C rating.

They need a BNF. I have a DX5e, DX6i and DX9. So do not need a DXe
https://www.facebook.com/apprenticeS15e

Sean
to remove ads between posts
May 30, 2016, 07:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanudal
The Apprentice Mini has the identical motor, esc and prop to the Parkzone Mosquito.

I was wondering how many watts the setup will provide. The plane is 735 grams and would need at least 160 watts to be decent. Someone on RCGroups had 188 watts on the Parkzone Mosquito. So maybe this will be possible.

I have 3 x Apprentice S 15e and 3 x Super Cub S. The Super Cub is hopeless if the wind blows. It does not have enough power and one has already blown away.

The Apprentice S 15e is a big plane for a park. It is better at a club. I have never flown mine in a park. The Mini does look good for a park.

I have a Durafly Tundra with the E-Flite SAFE RX and it is awesome. The 7th channel controls the flaps. This is a brilliant plane with SAFE installed. Way more fun than my Apprentice S 15e.

I would buy a Turnigy Graphene for the Apprentice Mini and would want more flight time. So maybe 1800. I already have 2 for my Tundra. They are heavier, however have a 65 C rating.

Sean

I have to agree with him about the apprentice S 15e being a club plane. Today I was flying on my neighborhood park which I have flown only 3times. I misjudge the distance from a tree that was about 100yrds away and the plane being so big you think is closer than what it appears. Caught the top of the tree and there it stood probably still is .. This tree is about 90ft tall.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May 31, 2016, 07:08 PM
Walked away from all landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by seanudal

Sean
The Mini-apprentice with a 48" wingspan is not what I would consider a Park size flyer either. I for one would not consider any plane larger than 30" wingspan to be too large for a park as well.

I would consider a park to be at least the size of a soccer field. This would also be the size of most of the School sites in my area.

Anything larger, off to a flying field or if you are lucky a farmers field.
May 31, 2016, 11:01 PM
Yvan
Mini Apprentice action with floats.
Take off and land on grass with floats!

http://www.imgrum.net/media/12493236...2053_304207795
Jun 01, 2016, 07:02 PM

First look inside the bix

The local hobby shop just received the minis in today. I looked but did not take the parts out. The wing is one piece and the DXe TX is smaller than I expected. Looks just like the full size Apprentice except she is smaller and lighter. Smaller size should be easier to hand launch if grass is too high. Smaller size should be able to fly in smaller area.
Jun 03, 2016, 12:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by agenthaggis
Something constructive to say here would be how large of a field is recommended, I.e. How many acres, for each size wingspan of these aircraft. Rather than complaining about one size or another, give some of the younger fliers an idea of how much space is needed to comfortably fly a given wingspan.
For most of their planes, Horizon Hobby features the diagram that has been in their manuals for the past dozen years or more, calling for at least 600 ft diameter circle. Most of today's great beginner planes can be flown in substantially less room by the first time flyer. Based on my years of experience in making recommendations to first time flyers, the following is my list of HH beginner planes and their minimum flying area requirements (in feet):
Apprentice S 15e: 600x600
Sportsman S: 500x500
Corsair S: 500x500
Conscendo S: 400x400
Mini Apprentice: 400x400
SuperCub S: 300x300
Delta Ray: 300x300
StratoCam: 300x300
Whipit: 200x200
Champ: 200x200
Duet: 200x200
Night Vapor: 100x100
Jun 03, 2016, 05:21 PM
Walked away from all landings
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leo L
For most of their planes, Horizon Hobby features the diagram that has been in their manuals for the past dozen years or more, calling for at least 600 ft diameter circle. Most of today's great beginner planes can be flown in substantially less room by the first time flyer. Based on my years of experience in making recommendations to first time flyers, the following is my list of HH beginner planes and their minimum flying area requirements (in feet):
Apprentice S 15e: 600x600
Sportsman S: 500x500
Corsair S: 500x500
Conscendo S: 400x400
Mini Apprentice: 400x400
SuperCub S: 300x300
Delta Ray: 300x300
StratoCam: 300x300
Whipit: 200x200
Champ: 200x200
Duet: 200x200
Night Vapor: 100x100
You overlooked the Sports Cub S which is recommended as 300x300.

What surprises me is that Horizon Hobbies does not give a recommendation for their newer 2 cell planes which definitely need more room than the 1 cell UMX planes.

Piper J
Carbon Cub SS
UMX P-47
UMX Pitts S1S

In fact the manual for these planes shows a diagram of a typical back yard. I sure do interpret that as misleading.

Note the Habu S is recommended for a 600' field

It should be mandatory for the manual for RC planes to indicate to the purchaser a flying site area.

A final comment, the new E-FLite B25 manual is another one which shows a diagram of what looks to be a typical backyard for a flying area.

I know the backyards in most suburban areas are not large enough to accommodate the majority of the UMX planes. But then again why Horizon would choose to unintentionally mislead purchasers as to flying areas needed would help sell more planes.
Last edited by DonRhone; Jun 03, 2016 at 05:31 PM.
Jun 03, 2016, 10:30 PM
Well..... my Hobby Zone Mini-Apprentice came in today. I opened the carton and found everything there like it should be. I did notice a decal on the bottom of the wing was not adhered completely and was curling up. I pushed it back but it wouldn't stay. It's nothing I can't fix with a small piece of packing tape.

The plane was packed very well and other than the issue with the decal the plane arrived in great shape. I took the plane out of the box carefully. I had to cut the styrofoam carton to get the elevator out of the packing material. I began to assemble the plane and after installing 6 screws and hooking up the control rods the plane was ready to fly.

I charged the battery and completed a range check. After verifying all the throws were going the right direction, I advanced the throttle and the plane made a short roll out and was airborne in about 10-12 feet. I added a few clicks of trim and she flew very well.

I was impressed to discover that in beginner mode, the rudder moves along with the ailerons making for smooth coordinated turns. I had the plane in the air for around 8 minutes and brought it in for a landing. This plane glides forever. I had to throttle up and do a go-around twice before I nailed down where to begin my final descent. As usual with the AS3X it flew very well and held its line.

On touch down I noted the plane held the center line well but seemed a bit bouncy. Nevertheless the landing was uneventful and I taxied down and lifted off again. I really like the slow flight performance of this plane.

After three short circuits I brought the plane in for a fourth landing. I lined the plane up and cut the throttle and let it sink towards the gravel runway. On the touchdown the plane jerked violently and skidded past the edge of the runway. I walked up on the plane and noticed it was sitting at and odd angle. I saw that the battery box had fallen out of the plane and was lying on the ground beneath the plane. The only thing attaching it to the plane was the battery lead.

I picked it up and saw that there was very little of the white glue HH uses on the mating surfaces of the plane and battery box. I am quite thankful the battery box held on until landing but a little dissapointed in the lack of quality control exercised on this product.

I examined the rest of the plane and everything looks ok. I did see that one of the leads to the ESC had a small cut on the in the insulation of one of the wires. I haven't flown it again but I hope the rx and servo leads were not damaged. The rear edge of the fuselage where the battery box meets up got chewed up and there are the scratches you would expect from a partial belly landing on gravel.

Needless to say, I was less than thrilled with the final landing. I intend to contact Horizon to see if they are aware of the issue and if they want me to fix it or send it back.

If you buy one of these be sure to give the battery box a tug and make sure it is glued properly. If anyone would like to see pictures please pm me an email address and I will let you see them.

J. Boller
Jun 03, 2016, 10:47 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoller2033

I picked it up and saw that there was very little of the white glue HH uses on the mating surfaces of the plane and battery box. I am quite thankful the battery box held on until landing but a little dissapointed in the lack of quality control exercised on this product.
J. Boller
The "white glue" HH uses for firewalls, battery boxes, fuselage halves, undercarriages, float set strut attachments, UMX bricks and motor mounts, etc. is silicone caulk, non acidic (shouldn't smell like vinegar) tub & tile/kitchen & bath variety. GE Silicone II (note the "II") is a common substitute and available at any decent hardware or department store.

Jun 03, 2016, 10:56 PM
RC Instructor just posted about 18 videos between today and yesterday about the Mini Apprentice. I'm interested in buying probably in the next week or two.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzc...plPjWN1_9rSIpw
Jun 04, 2016, 07:58 AM
Thanks North of 49! Knowing that it is caulk makes me think that it was an old tube or it got hot at some point reducing its effectiveness. Based on how little they used there may be a few more planes with the same issue popping up.
Jun 04, 2016, 03:28 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoller2033
Thanks North of 49! Knowing that it is caulk makes me think that it was an old tube or it got hot at some point reducing its effectiveness. Based on how little they used there may be a few more planes with the same issue popping up.
I doubt it was an old tube (if the generic stuff used at the factory is even in that form factor). Whoever assembled it probably just didn't use enough of it.

Most of the places on the products that it gets used is because these are replaceable parts so a more permanent glue wouldn't be wise.
Jun 04, 2016, 06:28 PM
contacted Horizon Hobby customer Service this morning about the issue with the battery box coming unglued. The customer support staff was amazing and went out of their way to make this situation right.

I wanted to publicly thank Randy from Horizon Hobby customer service for his help this morning. If this man is a hobbyist and you know him please shake his hand for me. Thanks Randy and Horizon for awesome customer service!
Jun 04, 2016, 08:28 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone
If you are referring to the full size Apprentice with the 1500mm wingspan you are playing with fire. You are just waiting for an accident to happen. Hope your insurance is paid up.

Someone flying an RC plane that size in a baseball diamond size field/park is just the incident that would get all RC planes banned, I have yet to see any of the ordnances banning RC planes stipulating size, They ban them all from Apprentice size to Champ size. No exceptions.

Then again with the popularity of the quads, it is only a question of time until all rc flying will be banned from all but RC designated flying sites.

But then again you are probably just kidding with that statement hoping to get a reaction.
I fly in a small private field smaller than a little league ball field and tho it limits some of what i can do....I still fly Larger models there

field size means nothing as long as you fly safely and pay attention to what you are doing

and if they have not banned this hobby after all the ignorant people who have done stupid things with drones, they are not going to ban it for flying in a small field
Jun 05, 2016, 05:35 PM
Premium Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by lookupitsgreg
RC Instructor just posted about 18 videos between today and yesterday about the Mini Apprentice. I'm interested in buying probably in the next week or two.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCzc...plPjWN1_9rSIpw
Super in-depth I think most YT reviewers could cover all that in about 2-3 video's max like DiscoverRC's Spitfire XIV review.

The lack of BNF so far is a deal breaker for me & I'm thinking the Timber might be the better buy next month.

Quick Reply