May 01, 2016, 10:42 AM
Does anyone know yet if the floats for the original apprentice will fit on the mini?
to remove ads between posts
May 01, 2016, 10:59 AM
Bet they'd be too big to be used.
May 01, 2016, 12:26 PM
Perpetual Noob
According to Horizon the Mini Apprentice will use the Super Cub float set. HBZ7390
May 01, 2016, 12:43 PM
Makes sense, they're about the same size.
Must have some extra parts to make them mount with the tricycle gear.
May 01, 2016, 03:05 PM
Scout CX | mCX2 | mSR | 120SR
Regarding flight time, I see no reason why it shouldn't get at least the same run time as other Horizon birds that use the same battery but the more power hungry Parkzone 480 with 9" prop. That's about 6 or 7 mins depending on throttle management, possibly more.
May 01, 2016, 04:31 PM
I suspect if you use a lipo alarm, this plane will fly much longer than the advertised flight time if you manage throttle or are just shooting landings. The regular apprentice can put around and shoot landings for 20-25 minutes before getting down to 3.7 per cell.

Setting it up for 3s1300 I think was a good choice. When you get into the hobby, having a bunch if different batteries gets to be a pain, and having several aircraft that use the same pack is handy.

Batteries in the 3s1300ish range are popular. I use them in the Radian Pro,
250 class quads, Assasin combat wings, and an ultimate bipe. Could also be used in a Handy. Man.

A beginner with this plane would have a lot of options for future planes, without having to buy additional batteries...

If this thing has the excellent flight characteristics as the regular apprentice, but in a more compact and less expensive package, I think this is going to be a real winner.
May 01, 2016, 05:42 PM
It should be able to handle enough battery for 15-20 minutes of flight.
But, they gotta offer at least a BNF, an ARF even better,
Too many other nice planes around to buy another RTF and toss more cheap chargers and receivers in an already over flowing box.
May 01, 2016, 05:51 PM
Yeah I hear you there, but I suspect if they do offer a BNF the price difference may be minimal.
May 01, 2016, 06:14 PM
Perpetual Noob
I've got 2 transmitters that are upgrades to the DXe so I really don't need that one. A BNF would have to be around $40 less than the RTF to keep the value of the DXe relevant. If there were no real price differential, there would be many of the DXe flooding the used marketplace from fliers like myself.

As far as the flight time, you could possibly squeeze 8 minutes from that 1300 mAh battery with some throttle management, but I wouldn't advertise that out of caution of over extending batteries by some fliers not using good management.
May 05, 2016, 10:05 PM
I really like this plane to start of with. I do hope they offer a bnf option. It will be pointless for the guys (like myself) to get another Tx when ready for the bigger & more channel planes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
May 15, 2016, 02:22 PM
Glider lover
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_SVT View Post
I really like this plane to start of with. I do hope they offer a bnf option. It will be pointless for the guys (like myself) to get another Tx when ready for the bigger & more channel planes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
My local Sacramento hobby shop was pretty confident that BNF would be available as well. It only makes sense. He also said they are to arrive before the end of the month.
May 15, 2016, 07:06 PM
Perpetual Noob
I too am certain a BNF will be available however, the current push is get more of the DXe out and in the hands of fixed wing flyers. If a BNF is released for this plane it won't be for some period of time after the RTF makes some inroads.
May 25, 2016, 11:29 PM
I ordered one of these. I hate that I will just toss the radio but at 229.00 +10% off and free shipping and the Horizon Hobby customer service I will give it a spin. Hopefully I can fly it like my SuperCub.....right out in front of the house.
May 26, 2016, 03:18 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBoller2033 View Post
I ordered one of these. I hate that I will just toss the radio but at 229.00 +10% off and free shipping and the Horizon Hobby customer service I will give it a spin. Hopefully I can fly it like my SuperCub.....right out in front of the house.

Nice! Keep us updated. Would love to see some pics
May 26, 2016, 05:09 AM
Learn to build with wood.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DonRhone View Post
If you are referring to the full size Apprentice with the 1500mm wingspan you are playing with fire. You are just waiting for an accident to happen. Hope your insurance is paid up.

Someone flying an RC plane that size in a baseball diamond size field/park is just the incident that would get all RC planes banned, I have yet to see any of the ordnances banning RC planes stipulating size, They ban them all from Apprentice size to Champ size. No exceptions.

Then again with the popularity of the quads, it is only a question of time until all rc flying will be banned from all but RC designated flying sites.

But then again you are probably just kidding with that statement hoping to get a reaction.
WOW> Simmer down now! I never said that you SHOULD fly an Apprentice at your local little league field while there's a game going on! HAHA!

But an Apprentice (non S) can be turned into a very capable plane that can be flown in a much smaller space than other planes with similar wingspans.

The SAFE system is a really neat feature for beginners, but I prefer no flight assistance in all my planes.

Quick Reply