Hobbyzone Mini Apprentice S - RC Groups
Apr 15, 2016, 01:25 PM
Pro at parking planes in trees
New Product

Hobbyzone Mini Apprentice S

Hobbyzone have announced a mini Apprentice S:
http://www.hobbyzonerc.com/Products/...ProdID=HBZ3100

Overview

Designed with the beginner in mind, the HobbyZone® Mini Apprentice® S includes an array of features that make taking to the skies easy in spaces as small as your local park. Beneath its durable Z-Foam™ exterior, pilots will find a robust brushless 370-size motor and 18A ESC. SAFE® Technology provides multiple flight modes to progress through and the security of instant recovery at the push of a button with the included Spektrum™ DXe radio transmitter. A large, easy-access battery compartment makes installing the included 3S 1300mAh LiPo battery hassle-free. When you've advanced your skills, optional floats can also be added for dynamic takeoffs and landings from small bodies of water. Get behind the sticks of the HobbyZone Mini Apprentice S today and turn your dreams of flight into reality tomorrow.

Key Features

SAFE technology with Panic Recovery mode
Beginner, intermediate and experienced flight modes
Completely ready to fly with everything you need in one box
Powerful brushless motor
4-channel control
Durable Z-foam™ construction
3S 1300mAh Li-Po Battery
Tricycle landing gear for easy ground handling
Spektrum™ DXe radio transmitter included
Optional floats available

Needed to Complete

Nothing! Everything you need to teach yourself to fly is included in the box!

Wingspan:48.0 in (1220mm)
Overall Length:34.2 in (869mm)
Wing Area:341.80 sq in (22.05 sq dm)
Flying Weight:25.9 oz (735g)
Motor Size:370 Brushless Outrunner 1300Kv
6 Channel
Servos:4 Included
CG 75mm back from leading edge of wing at root
Prop Size:8.25 x 5.5
Spinner Size:34mm
Speed Control :18 Amp ESC
Recommended Battery:1300mAh 3S 11.1v 20c Lipo
Approx. Flying Duration:6 Minutes
Recommended Environment:Outdoor
Assembly Time:Less than 1 Hour
Brand:HobbyZone

is there already thread for this?

Will
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2016, 01:42 PM
Where I used to fly, I thought the Apprentice was too big. This smaller version is a great addition to the line up!
Apr 15, 2016, 02:43 PM
I keep thinking that the HobbyZone lineup has the perfect beginner planes and that nothing better can be created, and then HH goes ahead and proves me wrong. For years the Apprentice was considered one of the best beginner planes, but there were two drawbacks. First, being 4 channel it was best suited for training with an experienced flyer or club trainer. Second, having a wingspan that was nearly 5 ft., it was not suited for parkflying, but strictly for club fields. Along came the Apprentice S, with SAFE, and the first issue disappeared. Now, the mini is introduced with a 4ft. wingspan (about the same size as the SuperCub) and the second issue is now resolved. My only concern is how robust is the front landing gear. If it's anywhere as good as the T-28's, then the Mini Apprentice IMMEDIATELY becomes the best beginner plane that you can buy. Sorry Champ, Delta Ray, SuperCub, SportCub S, Sportsman, etc. fans; the new kid on the block is hereby being anointed as the new KING of beginners, even before a single unit is sold.
Apr 15, 2016, 04:27 PM
Perpetual Noob
My first complaint? is the battery. Being a 1300 mAh the plane is spec'ed for only a 5 minute flight time which is not really enough for an instructor to teach approaches to a noob. I know I worked on approaches with my mentor for about 10 minutes before I was able to get the full Apprentice lined up and down low enough I wouldn't overshoot and do yet another go-around.
Apr 15, 2016, 04:53 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by BoxCar31
My first complaint? is the battery. Being a 1300 mAh the plane is spec'ed for only a 5 minute flight time which is not really enough for an instructor to teach approaches to a noob. I know I worked on approaches with my mentor for about 10 minutes before I was able to get the full Apprentice lined up and down low enough I wouldn't overshoot and do yet another go-around.
Agreed. All of the other HH planes in this size range can use 2200 mah packs, this thing should be on those to get up to about 10 minutes a pack at least.

Honestly, this thing is STILL large. Maybe they'll come out with a micro-Apprentice S in the 38"-40" range, also running on 3S.
Apr 15, 2016, 05:00 PM
DFS#000178
Oh that's adorable...

If they'll offer it as a BNF I might have to have one.
Apr 15, 2016, 06:50 PM
I was hoping for a 30"-35" wingspan. I would get one for my backyard.
Apr 15, 2016, 08:55 PM
Perpetual Noob
The 48" wingspan on this "mini" puts it in the same league as the Corsair with SAFE at 44". What isn't clear from either the photos of the Corsair or the manual is the orientation of the receiver in relation to that in the "Mini" Apprentice. It would be interesting if the receivers are the same, but I doubt they are exact. They are both versions of the AR636, but if their orientation is different, then logically the programming also has to be different.

P.S. Joe Nall is just around the corner, perhaps I'll have a chance to compare them there.
Apr 15, 2016, 09:36 PM
Sea2Sky2See
As big as the Apprentice is, the Sensei's overall length at 48" vs. 42" for the Apprentice, is what tipped me in favor of my Apprentice.

And while the size of the Mini Apprentice is attractive for even easier transportation in the car, had the Mini been available, I too would probably have waited for a BNF Mini -- the price of the Mini Apprentice RTF and the Apprentice BNF at only $20 apart would make the full-size Apprentice tough to pass up ... unless I did not have access to a field.

So with E-flite and Flyzone going head to head with new Micro B-25 Mitchells, I wonder if Flyzone might be planning a response in the form of a Mini Sensei w/WISE...?
Last edited by Dparture; Apr 15, 2016 at 09:42 PM.
Apr 16, 2016, 02:17 AM
Walked away from all landings

Mini Apprentice - new Park Flyer - what do you think?

With a 48 inch wingspan I would not consider the new Mini-Apprentice a park flyer. It had better be a very large park.

With the Sportsman being just a bit bigger than the new Mini-Apprentice Horizon Hobbies has three High wing planes to consider now.

As someone mentioned on this posting, had Horizon Hobby brought out a new flyer in something close to a 30" wingspan I would have sat up and taken notice and probably even recommended the new Mini as a first park flyer.

Instead we have a plane just a bit smaller than the Sportsman S which is itself just a bit smaller than the full size Apprentice S
Apr 16, 2016, 10:50 AM
Thing is, if they had released a UMX version, there would be people saying they should have released a 48"/1100 mm one.
Apr 16, 2016, 11:14 AM
Back to the drawing board!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Grup
Thing is, if they had released a UMX version, there would be people saying they should have released a 48"/1100 mm one.
+1

There are way too many members that complain on these threads for coming products!
Apr 17, 2016, 01:21 AM

How about...

Something constructive to say here would be how large of a field is recommended, I.e. How many acres, for each size wingspan of these aircraft. Rather than complaining about one size or another, give some of the younger fliers an idea of how much space is needed to comfortably fly a given wingspan.
Apr 17, 2016, 06:20 AM
Perpetual Noob
Generally speaking in my limited experience anything with a wingspan of more than 36 - 40 inches requires an area larger than a baseball, football or soccoer field.
Apr 17, 2016, 08:30 AM
Wing loading is more important than wingspan in determining the size of the field required for safe and comfortable flight, since in large measure it determines minimum airspeed. Really light airframes do not often appear in the mid-size ARF market.