Seagull super decathlon 120 size build and mods - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Apr 15, 2016, 11:18 AM
Build Log

Seagull super decathlon 120 size build and mods

Received my decathlon a couple of weeks back from tjdmodels, slightly damaged paintwork on the cowling but tjd have sent me a new one! First thing I did was to glue on the horizontal and vertical stabilisers (not a big fan of that so I like to get it out of the way asap) now I'm throwing the ca hinges that came in the kit away.......... Total rubbish! I am using kavan hinges instead. I've had to open up the slot slightly so they fit in and cut a recess in the beveled edge to bing the surface close together.

Sent from my SM-N9005 using Tapatalk
to remove ads between posts
Apr 15, 2016, 05:22 PM
Another couple of hours in the Hanger today, getting there slowly! Started to connect the linkages up and the rudder servo had to be switched around, the manual is wrong.

Apr 15, 2016, 09:26 PM
Looks nice! Hopefully one of these days I can get started on my 1/4 scale Cub I've had since early January. Had to have some knee repair done I'm still not getting around to good yet. Nice pics keep em coming. It's gonna be a damn nice looking plane.
Apr 16, 2016, 12:10 AM
Thanks, that would kill me having a kit like that still in the box! Hope your knee gets better soon!

May 15, 2016, 09:47 AM
juf
hy guys.. anyone have tips to land this plane slowly without stall ??
May 15, 2016, 11:24 AM
In most cases, a wing with barn door ailerons can be made less prone to tip stall by simulating wash out by trimming the ailerons up at slower speeds. Doing so requires separate channels for the ailerons, then do a throttle to aileron mix where the mix comes into play at low throttle setting.

I've used the technique on many models and it is very effective.
May 15, 2016, 02:44 PM
juf
thanks for the tips
Sep 15, 2016, 09:56 PM
Any updates?
Nov 02, 2016, 02:01 PM
So, it's been a while but I've got her finished and had about 10 flights so far, it's really flying well. I ended up making some battery trays and mounting them to one side so i could fit a nice clear tank in place of the stock. I went with a rcg 20cc engine at first to see how it fly on a 20cc engine, it flew really well. I would of kept that engine but it was causing me issues trying to tune it (has done since new) so I bought a roto 25v engine. What a nice looking engine, very smooth and plenty of power, even when still running it rich!

Here's the video with the roto 25v engine.

SEAGULL SUPER DECATHLON 120 SIZE WITH A NEW ROTO 25V (6 min 29 sec)
Nov 02, 2016, 09:47 PM
Glad to see someone else is still flying one of these. I recently bought a used one set up for electric. Still trying to get my take offs and landings settled down, but loving it. Beautiful plane.
Seagull Super Decathlon 120 SEA2125 (6 min 40 sec)
Nov 02, 2016, 10:25 PM
Yes, excellent plane, such a great flying plane, I'm so glad I decided to get one! Are you keeping yours electric?

Nov 02, 2016, 10:50 PM
Yeah I'll stay with electric on this one I believe. It's got a pretty nice set up with a Hacker A50-10s motor and a Castle Creations 85HV esc. I'm running it on 5000mah 6s 25c Zippy Compacts and an APC 17x10e prop. It's not 3D capable but a pretty hot scale set up.

That Roto 25v sure seems to pull yours around very nicely. Sounds great!
Nov 02, 2016, 11:02 PM
Yes, the roto 25v sure has enough power, it still hasn't been leaned out yet, still running rich with the break in prop so there is still more potential.

Nov 06, 2017, 12:43 PM
Boxermade84
Enjoyed reading your thread.
It's been a year since this thread was active but I hope to get your response. I just got a nice used Seagull Decathlon 120 with a DLE 30 cc on it. Got it all ready for flight but it's too nose heavy. I want to correct this so my question is What is a good C.G range for this beauty?
Thanks in advance
Solly