Walkera F210 Master Thread (All threads lead to here) - RC Groups
Apr 14, 2016, 12:39 PM
Discussion

Walkera F210 Master Thread (All threads lead to here)

I was hoping we could consolidate the many threads regarding the Walkera F210 into one thread with the latest information.

As of now, here are some bits of info to get everyone up to date.

1. Firmware and OSD update (came out April 12th, 2016). http://en.walkera.com/index.php/Down...nfo/id/34.html It is not absolutely necessary, and Walkera claims it was not to fix anything, but was mainly for racers and stunt pilots, having something to do with zero throttle maneuvers. Use the UP02 update device to change the OSD. Other firmware updates can be done with the included USB to micro USB connector.
2. OSD update. The new OSD update recently released with the firmware update changes the OSD style and includes a "Low Volt" alarm and shows when the quad is "Disarmed". Very helpful in my opinion.
3. Failsafe (New firmware update includes some failsafe adjustments but word is that it will not work on pre-March 8th receivers.)
4.3D version (What appears to be a Walkera video came out showing a 3D version of the F210 with reversing ESC's and flatter props for inverted flying. There may be a way to update previous versions to 3D by changing out props and possibly the ESC's, and updating settings in Cleanflight).
5. Race Band transmitter (A multi band transmitter including race band frequencies is out, but is not available to the general public yet. Word from Walkera is that it is only available at trade shows and for specific races.)
6. Formula racing (Walkera is sponsoring formula races using F210's so that all racers are using the same equipment. The first one will be in Orlando Florida on May 1 hosted by RCGroups member DIYDRONE).
7. Props ( People have been experimenting with the Dal triblade props which provide more thrust and potentially more control, but cut down on flight time). Note that if you get them, you will have to cut the styrofoam to fit in the carry box.)
8. Batteries (People are flying 3s and 4s batteries of different sizes. I have been using the Pulse 1800mah 4s for longer flight times and it fits perfectly in the battery tray. Others are using Tattu, Bonka (for racing) and many others.) Racers like the high C rating packs for bursts of speed. Larger mah packs for longer flight times.)
9. Crash Pack (At least one Amazon seller now has a crash pack selling on Amazon prime which includes spare propellers, landing skids, receiver antennas and battery straps and comes in two days if you're a prime member.)
10. Selllers (There are a lot of sellers now carrying the F210, including the big online retailers. You can also buy it directly from Walkera. Some of the sellers are selling lower priced versions that are BNF (bind and fly, which doesn't include the transmitter), and a few seem to be selling versions with no OSD module.)
11. Other Forums (Walkera has its own F210 forum here http://www.walkeraforums.com/forums/walkera-f210.24/ and here http://forum.walkera.com/?/question/
12. Back of Frame mod (Some people have found the back of the frame to be a weak spot and have devised a mod to shore it up. According to user "fastblade", here's what you need to do. Order a new frame: "F210-Z-05" .... there are six screws in the back too use.... 2 different kind of screws... one is machine threads and one is sheetmetal threads...
Order the following: (2) M2 x 10 - order here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#99397a269/=11jyxqr
(4) M2 x 12 sheet metal / thread forming screws - order here: http://www.mcmaster.com/#93705a804/=11jza2z...
Cut the frame about 15mm (5/8") from the back to utilize all 6 screws..
Figure the six screws... scuff up the mating surfaces and epoxy... done...

I hope everyone finds this thread useful. I'm happy to answer questions, at least where I have some actual knowledge.
Last edited by Sparkorama; Apr 16, 2016 at 12:13 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 14, 2016, 07:51 PM
Thanks for the info... subscribed to thread...

P.s. add fix for back part of frame...
Last edited by fastblade; Apr 14, 2016 at 08:01 PM.
Apr 16, 2016, 09:09 PM
finally flew the f210 today... and all I can say is this thing is awesome! Talk about speed.. we all drag raced today and mine was fastest... as for the durability... the other guys were amazed on how durable it is considering some of the crashes I had today... the video camera took a really really good hit and squashed the plastic mtg pad it mounts too at full throttle... another time it fell about a 100+ feet (my fault... mapped wrong switch) right into hard ground and nothing... picked it up and threw it in the air and kept flying.... my buds freaked out.. so all in all very nice quad...surprised how heavy the camera is since it's a metal casing.. might go plastic to save some weight... but all in all... awesome quad!

P.s. we all flew the graphene and bonka HV's ...

If you don't mind the extra 12 grams ... get the graphen.. best 4.2v out there...

If you want the most power no matter what and can charge to 4.35v... definitely get the HV!
Apr 17, 2016, 09:41 AM
I'm amazed at the durability. I've punched this thing into the ground multiple times. Took forever before I even broke a prop. I've switched to the Dal triblades and it's even faster and more controllable but you do lose some flight time. Loving this thing. Now I just need to get better at flying it. Has anyone used a simulator with the Devo 7? If so, how do I plug it to the computer?
Apr 17, 2016, 11:01 AM
P.s. I wouldn't worry so much about the fail-safe... I flew that thing way out there and the video signal was breaking up to the point I had to turn around.. If your flying that far out to lose signal... your flying way to far to begin with...
Apr 17, 2016, 02:00 PM
Hey, i'm using my Devo 7 which came with F210 to play liftoff and freerider and i can confirm both work great using Smartpropo. Only issue i came across - you need to have separate inputs for headphones and mic. If you have one jack for both of those things in your PC you'll be unable to use it. You can fix that simply with buying small audio usb card, i'm using mine with simple card which came with Creative headphones (it's worth something like 3$ and you can find this stuff sold separately without the headphones etc).

Also, i have a question as well. How good is your video feed from f210? I think till today i had bad configuration for my reciver, but i was getting about 15-20m without video feed breaking up (and i don't mean some small screen stutter, but a blank black screen) until now. I've switched the configuration of the transmitter (small switched on the bottom) and will report if there's any improvement.
Last edited by kaiga747; Apr 17, 2016 at 02:15 PM.
Apr 17, 2016, 02:27 PM
video transmission is based on line-of-sight... trees, even people between you and the quad will affect it... as how far was I ... my buddy could only see me as a dot before I turned around... in other words ... the transmission distance is farther than if you were flying line of sight...... but you shouldn't be flying any further than L.O.S..... fpv or not...

I just went to google maps and measured the distance I thought I was... it was about 300 yards out..... way, way, way more than enough... If you want a quad for super long distance then I suggest a quad built for that.... this is a racing quad ... made for racing... not sight-seeing...
Apr 17, 2016, 03:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkorama
I'm amazed at the durability. I've punched this thing into the ground multiple times. Took forever before I even broke a prop. I've switched to the Dal triblades and it's even faster and more controllable but you do lose some flight time. Loving this thing. Now I just need to get better at flying it. Has anyone used a simulator with the Devo 7? If so, how do I plug it to the computer?
Sparkorama: I got it working on my mac. Search for Devo 7 on the FVP Freerider thread if you can't get pitch working correctly. Here is the USB dongle that I'm using: http://www.ebay.com/itm/252218514507. You simply connect it to the trainer port on the back of the devo 7. I didn't need to use the drivers on the disc. I'm sure they wouldn't work on a mac anyways.

My F210 is no longer pristine, which means i'm actually finding time to fly it. I crashed it into the side of my house flying line of sight a bit to late after sun down. Only managed to break one of the landing feet. Luckily no damage to the house. I guess I should pick up that crash pack from amazon soon.

I still haven't flown FPV. Guess i need to spend some of my tax refund on some fat sharks.

This is Rich by the way.
Apr 17, 2016, 05:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaiga747
Hey, i'm using my Devo 7 which came with F210 to play liftoff and freerider and i can confirm both work great using Smartpropo. Only issue i came across - you need to have separate inputs for headphones and mic. If you have one jack for both of those things in your PC you'll be unable to use it. You can fix that simply with buying small audio usb card, i'm using mine with simple card which came with Creative headphones (it's worth something like 3$ and you can find this stuff sold separately without the headphones etc).

Also, i have a question as well. How good is your video feed from f210? I think till today i had bad configuration for my reciver, but i was getting about 15-20m without video feed breaking up (and i don't mean some small screen stutter, but a blank black screen) until now. I've switched the configuration of the transmitter (small switched on the bottom) and will report if there's any improvement.
Kaiga, make sure you are on the correct frequency for your video receiver module in goggles or on your receiver. Also, the circular polarized antennas make a huge difference.
Apr 17, 2016, 05:28 PM
Thanks, i was looking exactly for this kind of information. My problem went away when i've switched transmitter to same Hz value as my reciever. Beginners mistake : ).

May i ask what reciever are you using?
Apr 17, 2016, 07:22 PM
I'm flying with fatshark V2 goggles and the beta band receiver module from fatshark. That carries the exact frequencies the F210 transmits on. I'm hoping to get the F210 race band transmitter when it comes out, and use the soon to be released diversity module from Fatshark. Diversity receivers give you two receivers at the same time. Better coverage and less loss. If you use the circular polarized antennas (I have spironets from fat shark, but lots of people like the ones from the guy called IBCrazy or others), you'll find an immediate benefit to the quality and reliability of your video.
Apr 17, 2016, 07:40 PM
I have a LCD screen mounted to my Devo 7 with diversity reciver (i've mounted a spiro on one port and normal "straight" simple antenna on second, f210 is running it's default antenna for now, but this will change) build in. And after small hard test i can confim that now the range of good video transmision is great (flyable even with brick wall between me and the quad). Thanks for help guys!

There's one slight issue with video tho - for most of the time the video is black and white. I'm assuming it have to do something with the "night mode" but thing is that even on a bright sunny day, it sometimes flickers with color, but only sometimes. This doesn't bothers me so much, but it would be nice to know what's exactly happening : )
Apr 17, 2016, 08:46 PM
I'm thinking of getting this....

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...FcNkhgodWVsPaw
Apr 18, 2016, 12:18 AM
well I ended up buying this... now I can go behind trees etc....

http://www.ebay.com/itm/262059268614...%3AMEBIDX%3AIT

http://www.getfpv.com/truerc-5-8ghz-...r-antenna.html
Apr 18, 2016, 03:44 PM
Fastblade, that looks like a sweet antenna. When I get the diversity module for my fat sharks, I may grab one.