Apr 13, 2016, 12:25 PM
Thread OP
Discussion

Lost plane locator -Tile-

I have not flown much since I lost my third plane to either letting it get too high in a thermal or getting blinded by the sun. I was not able to find them, so I am looking for a method to locate a lost plane. I searched this and other forums by typing "lost plane locator" with the quotations but the results seem to be any discussion with the words "lost", "plane", or "locator" and some of the discussions are very long. So, I will just ask the question here. I have noticed a device called Tile. https://www.thetileapp.com/how-it-works It has several methods to locate an item but the one that will be most useful is the one that uses a community's smartphones to locate the item and show the owner where it is on a map on his smartphone. Apparently, the downside is that it depends on smartphones, with the app running, coming within blue-tooth range of the plane. I usually fly in a park that has plenty of car traffic on nearby roads, so maybe it will work. Has anybody tried this? Is there anything better for the price?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2016, 02:37 PM
There are a ton of " down plane locator " threads right here . I'd just do a search within these forums.
I'm also sure they advertise them in nearly all the modeling magazines .
Apr 13, 2016, 09:32 PM
Old Wood
Simply place your iPhone in the plane and if lost use the "find my iPhone" app on your iPad. It will show you within 10-20 feet where the phone is. Hopefully it will still be in the plane.
Apr 13, 2016, 09:50 PM
Will insurance cover that if you can't find either ?
Apr 14, 2016, 11:15 PM
I saw a lost plane found using a FLYSKY radio. The owner drove around until a signal was picked up. The free flight fliers have long used a system to find lost planes.

The other option is to look into a homing system which if signal is lost or a switch is flown the plane returns home. I've thought about looking to how heavy such a system would weigh. I lost two planes when get to far away and had to rebuild one I flew thru the sun and lost it. I could not see the plane and just dove in to at lest recover the hardware. I found the plane on the other side of the farm we fly on. I did not loose one in the last year as I do not fly as high or as far away.
Apr 15, 2016, 04:51 AM
These work very good, but the receiver is a bit pricey for one person. You can use a hand held scanner if it has a CW mode.
http://adesigner.com/sailplanefinder/

Also look at bird trackers and if you can get within bluetooth range you can use luggage trackers.
May 14, 2016, 12:07 PM
Wid
Wid
Live Your Dreams

the tile?

I am planning to use the tile , https://www.thetileapp.com/ , for lost plane recovery. It uses bluetooth. Issues with Rx interference? Seems to work OK with Frsky X Rx, but I don't want to shoot down anyone else.

I have other beeper locators and use signal strength to search but in high winds and long grass or brush I can't hear the beeper and in tall grass I can be within a few feet and still not see it. But they get me in Bluetooth range.

I have been using the tile for finding my keys and it works great. If no interference problems it should be very helpful finding planes.

Anyone used this setup or done serious research on it?
Apr 07, 2020, 09:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by launch&grin
I have not flown much since I lost my third plane to either letting it get too high in a thermal or getting blinded by the sun. I was not able to find them, so I am looking for a method to locate a lost plane. I searched this and other forums by typing "small locator for lost sailplanes" with the quotations but the results seem to be any discussion with the words "lost", "plane", or "locator" and some of the discussions are very long. So, I will just ask the question here. I have noticed a device called Tile. https://www.thetileapp.com/how-it-works It has several methods to locate an item but the one that will be most useful is the one that uses a community's smartphones to locate the item and show the owner where it is on a map on his smartphone. Apparently, the downside is that it depends on smartphones, with the app running, coming within blue-tooth range of the plane. I usually fly in a park that has plenty of car traffic on nearby roads, so maybe it will work. Has anybody tried this? Is there anything better for the price?
Are you sure you will only let your plane fly within 200 meters? As you know, tile is a Bluetooth tracker. The tracking range is very small. Once your plane leaves the Bluetooth range, it is lost outside the tracking range. I suggest you look for other GPS trackers, some of them do not require sim. Tile is not suitable for free aircraft.

Quick Reply