Apr 13, 2016, 05:24 AM
Thread OP
Build Log

Tarot T810 & Pixhawk - aka Big Boy

Hi all,

I recently got into multirotors by building a Flitetest Y6. Unfortunately, due to a bad solder joint (entirely my fault for being frugal), it had a catastrophic failure.

So, my plan was to use as many of the same parts as possible to build a new traditional hex. I had a requirement to have all motors facing up because I found getting hold of DJI style common (non-self locking) E300 propellors increasingly difficult. So, the reality is not many parts got reused and this is almost an entirely new build!

The basis of the build is a Tarot t810. I found a second hand frame that had been hardly used on eBay. The frame went together easily enough, but it gets tricky without multiple hands to help!

I HATE wires! Just getting it out there...Phew that feels better! I wanted to keep things as neat and tidy as possible so I wanted to hide the majority of the electronics and anything that was showing had to be tidy. The ESCs are hidden in the booms and I build a panel that stood off the top board. The RX, telemetry converter, 433Mhz transceiver, BEC and buzzer are all fixed underneath and the Pixhawk is fixed to the top. Wire wrap is used extensively throughout. It was really important that the battery connectors were neat and tidy too, so I went with XT60 panel connectors. Only one is wired in at the moment, but they will be wired in parallel once completed.

I've currently got a 90A I/V sensor in there - obviously that won't be reliable enough once this thing is carrying stuff, so I've got a 200A version on it's way to finish the build off.

Talking of payloads, I can simply remove the legs and fit some smaller Hobbyking retracts which has a small gimbal attached. The gimbal runs off a STorM32 controller through the Pixhawk serial.

When I ordered the motors, hobbyking sent 3x green and 3x black. They're slightly different, but they make you aware that the colour is variable on the product page. More annoyingly, the green ones come with the t-prop style washers for bolting down the 15x5.5 props, but the black ones do not. I have a full set on order from goodluckbuy.com (quite literally the worst name for an online shop)!

COMPONENTS:
Tarot t810 frame
ZTW Spider Slim 40A ESCs (hidden in booms)
Turnigy Multistar 4830-420Kv
Carbon Fiber T-Style Propeller 15x5.5
Pixhawk Flight Controller
2x6600mAH 4S batteries but will support 6S for 9.5kg lifting

TODO:
Wire in the 200A I/V sensor
Tidy the ESC wiring
Fit the props
Go fly!
Configure the gimbal controller for Serial control (I was using SBUS on the Y6)

I'm not great at photo-documenting builds, but here are some from the beginning of April. I've since added the GPS on a foldable post so I'll get some more pics later.

Regards,
Gareth
to remove ads between posts
Apr 13, 2016, 06:57 AM
Looks great mate.

Are you using the OPTO ESCs? if yes, what did you do in terms of BECs?
Apr 13, 2016, 07:07 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by geostyl
Looks great mate.

Are you using the OPTO ESCs? if yes, what did you do in terms of BECs?
Thanks geostyl

Yes, the ESCs are OPTOs. I've got a Turnigy 5A (8-26v) SBEC as a backup supply and the primary will be the Mauch Hybrid BEC (http://www.mauch-electronic.com/4-14s-3a-hybrid-bec) and Hall Sensor I/V Power Module (http://www.mauch-electronic.com/50a-...0a-hall-sensor)
Apr 13, 2016, 07:30 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by gbradley
Thanks geostyl

Yes, the ESCs are OPTOs. I've got a Turnigy 5A (8-26v) SBEC as a backup supply and the primary will be the Mauch Hybrid BEC (http://www.mauch-electronic.com/4-14s-3a-hybrid-bec) and Hall Sensor I/V Power Module (http://www.mauch-electronic.com/50a-...0a-hall-sensor)
Reason I'm asking is I am building a Pixhawk machine myself, already ordered the Mauch 200A, and I have some 50V power modules, however, as I also have the Spider OPTO ESCs, how does the fact that they do not have a BEC on board affect our standard layout as found here? Do I need an extra BEC anywhere in there?
Apr 13, 2016, 07:37 AM
Thread OP
So, here's how I understand it:

The Mauch 200A / BEC combo will power the Pixhawk flight controller via the power connector. That, in turn, will power the Rx through the SBUS port. The OPTO ESCs all attach to the Pixhawk and whilst you see a red power cable on the ESC servo leads, it isn't connected to anything (they're just generic extension cables). That's my primary setup.

Then, I've got the Turnigy 5A BEC plugged into an unused servo port on the Pixhawk. This is to provide 5V and act as a secondary.

The reality is, if the 200A power module has a catastrophic failure, Big Boy is going down - but at least the logging and buzzer will continue! lol Joking aside, my telemetry will continue to send the GPS coords so I would be able to find it.
Apr 13, 2016, 07:44 AM
Quote:
So, here's how I understand it:

The Mauch 200A / BEC combo will power the Pixhawk flight controller via the power connector. That, in turn, will power the Rx through the SBUS port. The OPTO ESCs all attach to the Pixhawk and whilst you see a red power cable on the ESC servo leads, it isn't connected to anything (they're just generic extension cables). That's my primary setup.

Then, I've got the Turnigy 5A BEC plugged into an unused servo port on the Pixhawk. This is to provide 5V and act as a secondary.

The reality is, if the 200A power module has a catastrophic failure, Big Boy is going down - but at least the logging and buzzer will continue! lol Joking aside, my telemetry will continue to send the GPS coords so I would be able to find it.
Thank you very much mate, that's very helpful!

Should we remove the red cables then or leave them in?

Also keep us posted with that build, I'm only building a quad but very similar build to be honest.

Only differences I went with the 330KV Multistars and a 6s system, the rest is exactly the same.

Also, are you aware about this? You said you've hidden the ESCs in the booms, so you are definitely affected
Apr 13, 2016, 08:01 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Should we remove the red cables then or leave them in?
I'm not going to bother removing them. They're not attached to anything and removing them would mean destroying each of the servo extension cables. They're not doing any harm

Quote:
Also keep us posted with that build, I'm only building a quad but very similar build to be honest.

Only differences I went with the 330KV Multistars and a 6s system, the rest is exactly the same.
I will do my best - I get excited and jump forwards a bit, but I'll try and restrain myself! lol All the components will support 6S on Big Boy but for fun flying, 4S will do just fine. 6S will be rolled out for heavy cameras

Quote:
Also, are you aware about this? You said you've hidden the ESCs in the booms, so you are definitely affected
I wasn't, but I've had a read through. Warrants some further research but in a quick review, I couldn't find a rule of thumb for how long is acceptable. I'd guess I've got in the region of 30cm power extension...
Apr 13, 2016, 09:55 AM
Quote:

I wasn't, but I've had a read through. Warrants some further research but in a quick review, I couldn't find a rule of thumb for how long is acceptable. I'd guess I've got in the region of 30cm power extension...
I was directed to that thread when I mentioned that I will be putting 30cm booms on my 580 quad, but yes, I am not sure about the threshold of power extension length that warrants the use of extra caps. Even though I have everything besides the Mauch power module+BEC, I haven't started building yet, but I have half a mind to just extend the cables between the ESCs and the motors (keeping the ESCs near the power module) to avoid the hassle.

Quick Reply