Jan 31, 2002, 12:07 AM
2thFxr
Thread OP

CG on a T-38 ????????

Can any one suggest how to get the CG on this plane?,
It is a plug for a FG mold. it is almost scale, the only thing is the wings and tail surfaces and the inlets. I I had to enlarge to get the proper FSA,
Thanks,
Bradley
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2002, 02:38 AM
It wasn't me...

Re: CG on a T-38 ????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Dyer
Can any one suggest how to get the CG on this plane?
Hi Bradley,

The "White Mouse" is among my favorites. without knowing exactly where your wing is or what the exact planform is, it's difficult to say.

But, if the wing planform is scale and is in the scale location, then this is where I'd balance it.

The CG shown is my standard 23% of the MAC.

Good luck and keep us posted on your progress.

Dan
Jan 31, 2002, 10:53 AM
I also love the t-38. Keep the pics coming and sell me a fuselage.
Good luck
Feb 04, 2002, 10:04 PM
2thFxr
Thread OP

update

just an update for those interested.
Just about finished fiberglassing the plug,
next step sand, sand, sand,
pic to be added sooon
Feb 04, 2002, 10:54 PM
I'll fly anything...

Re: CG on a T-38 ????????

Quote:
Originally posted by Doc Dyer
[B... it is almost scale, the only thing is the SNIP inlets. I had to enlarge to get the proper FSA,
Thanks,
Bradley [/B]
Bradley,

Did you enlarge the inlets after the photo was taken? They look very scale (SMALL) in the photo. ...or is this a large model with 2 fan units?

Looks great!!!

As a former employee of the Northrop Aircraft wind tunnel model shop I have a soft spot for Northrop planes.
Feb 04, 2002, 11:09 PM
steve neill
steve neill
Leave the inlets scale! Use a cheater hole. If you enlarge them to the size they need to be it will destroy the
looks of this beauty.
Herb, what do you think. I think it was you that originally said this. Think how much better the KY T-33
would have looked if they kept the inlets scale. Anyone disagree?
Looks real good!!!Keep it up!
Steve Neill
Feb 04, 2002, 11:12 PM
2thFxr
Thread OP

inlets

I will have a pic of plug as soon as it is presentable, lot of sanding. also to make the plug for the mold there can be no undercuts, with out a lot more work, ie put them on after fuse is laid up.
Bradley
Last edited by Doc Dyer; Feb 04, 2002 at 11:21 PM.
Feb 04, 2002, 11:15 PM
2thFxr
Thread OP

inlets

Hey,
The inlets were enlarged after photo taken,
I enlarged them on the bottom only. made the bottom of the jet equal to the bottom of the inlets. not as scale as I wish but I need 4.9 in2 for the FSA. Scale is about 2.2 in2. I plan on having blow in doors above the inlets. The model is apox. 1/10 scale 46 in long and wingspan of 26 in. I origionaly designed it for a wemotec 480 but I was told that the 609 was much more powerful. it will be tight but it will work. THIS IS MY FIRST ATTEMPT AT SCALE !!!!!
those interested please do not expect perfection. it is not designed to be judged static, I just want to build a jet that I think looks great, and no one that I know of makes one. I am learning a lot on this project. if all goes well plans on a F-4 are next.
Thanks for your intrest,
Bradley
Feb 04, 2002, 11:16 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by steve neill
Think how much better the KY T-33
would have looked if they kept the inlets scale. Anyone disagree?
I'm not disagreeing, but I have a BVM P-80 and in order for BVM to keep the inlets scale and still get enough air for a 5 inch fan unit, the model is probably bigger than it could be (72 inch wing span, 15+ lbs.) had they accepted a slightly bigger than scale inlet. It still performs well, but it's definitely not a light sport model. A bit of deviation from scale would be okay (IMHO).

Daren
Last edited by Daren; Feb 04, 2002 at 11:19 PM.
Feb 06, 2002, 10:17 PM
2thFxr
Thread OP

T-38 progress

just a few pics for those interested,
first coat of primer, I have a lot of sanding, filling, sanding, sanding.......to do but Rome wasn't built in a day.
What do yall think about the inlet size?
Feb 06, 2002, 10:20 PM
steve neill
steve neill
Very nice Doc. Keep going, it has real good form and the inlets look good. I know you have along way to go, but for starting out it looks pretty damn good!!!Very nice!!
Steve
Feb 06, 2002, 10:35 PM
Speed Demon
Bradley, she sure is looking good! I did a 30" WS F-4 as scale as I could a few years ago. I admire your work here, I know just what it takes to get things right and that's a lot of elbow grease, that's for sure! Maybe we could work out a trade here? I still have the molds!
Feb 06, 2002, 10:43 PM
Looks Good!!
Who ever got you started in RC must have been a Great Guy!!
Dave
Feb 14, 2002, 10:46 AM
2thFxr
Thread OP

Update

Hey just an update, finished the plug, plan on making mold this weekend, will have pic as soon as first fuse is made
Bradley
Mar 30, 2002, 04:45 PM
2thFxr
Thread OP
After some major set backs, I now have my plug ready to make the mold with, minus the panel lines, what does everyone think about panel lines, are they worth it?
here is some latest pics

Quick Reply