If this was yours, what would your next step be? Trouble shooting - RC Groups
Thread Tools
Apr 11, 2016, 05:07 PM
So new and so in need of help.
Hover01's Avatar
Help!

If this was yours, what would your next step be? Trouble shooting


Atom 122
DYS 1104 4000kv
Little Bee 20A
FRSky XSR
Lux FC (BF 2.6.1)
BLHeli (144051)

If this was yours, what would your next step be in trouble shooting? I have re soldered the esc's to the motor and the FC already, in hopes that I just had bad connections. But that obviously isnt the case.

When in either BLHeli or CF, I can control the motors to an extent. The 1 and 4 motors will spin up and run when I arm, but the 2 and 3 motors just chirp. When I disconnect from the USB, I get what you see in this video.

Every time I try to arm the motors, they dont spin and the FC re arms itself as seen.

Any help is appreciated.

ugh (0 min 54 sec)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2016, 08:16 PM
novuh @ propwashed
neonbjb's Avatar
This may not be a direct answer, but stating what you can tell from your symptoms may help you come up with a solution:
1) The flight controller is shutting down when powered via the battery alone, indicating an electrical short somewhere.
2) Two motors are affected, indicating the issue is probably not a part that was broken from the factory (the chances of the same problem occurring on two different parts is pretty low).
3) The issue occurs when you arm the motors, indicating that if there is a short or problem, it is probably between the ESC and the motors.

If it were me, I'd start by doing a really thorough inspection of all of the ESCs - attempting to find any differences between the way 2&3 were put on vs 1&4. I would also be checking the individual chips on the littlebees to ensure I didn't accidentally de-solder a chip or resistor (there are some really small resistors between the motor pads, for instance). You can also do a resistance test between the motor leads. There should be some small amount of resistance, not a dead short.

Failing any discoveries there, I'd probably just all-out remove ESCs 2&3 to see if the problem disappears when they are no longer in the system. Past that it would really depend on what you had found before..
Apr 11, 2016, 11:26 PM
So new and so in need of help.
Hover01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbjb
This may not be a direct answer, but stating what you can tell from your symptoms may help you come up with a solution:
1) The flight controller is shutting down when powered via the battery alone, indicating an electrical short somewhere.
2) Two motors are affected, indicating the issue is probably not a part that was broken from the factory (the chances of the same problem occurring on two different parts is pretty low).
3) The issue occurs when you arm the motors, indicating that if there is a short or problem, it is probably between the ESC and the motors.

If it were me, I'd start by doing a really thorough inspection of all of the ESCs - attempting to find any differences between the way 2&3 were put on vs 1&4. I would also be checking the individual chips on the littlebees to ensure I didn't accidentally de-solder a chip or resistor (there are some really small resistors between the motor pads, for instance). You can also do a resistance test between the motor leads. There should be some small amount of resistance, not a dead short.

Failing any discoveries there, I'd probably just all-out remove ESCs 2&3 to see if the problem disappears when they are no longer in the system. Past that it would really depend on what you had found before..
Thank you. I got pretty much the same response in another thread. Tomorrow I will take it all down again and start over. I re soldered the connections from the FC to the ESC's but not the power from the PDB to the ESC's, so maybe there in lies the problem. First thing tomorrow. thank you again for the reply
Apr 13, 2016, 03:04 PM
Registered User
Another thing you might want to check. Is if any of the screws holding the motors on. Are in to far and touching the windings of the motors. this will create a short also.
Apr 13, 2016, 03:29 PM
So new and so in need of help.
Hover01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbjb
This may not be a direct answer, but stating what you can tell from your symptoms may help you come up with a solution:
1) The flight controller is shutting down when powered via the battery alone, indicating an electrical short somewhere.
2) Two motors are affected, indicating the issue is probably not a part that was broken from the factory (the chances of the same problem occurring on two different parts is pretty low).
3) The issue occurs when you arm the motors, indicating that if there is a short or problem, it is probably between the ESC and the motors.

If it were me, I'd start by doing a really thorough inspection of all of the ESCs - attempting to find any differences between the way 2&3 were put on vs 1&4. I would also be checking the individual chips on the littlebees to ensure I didn't accidentally de-solder a chip or resistor (there are some really small resistors between the motor pads, for instance). You can also do a resistance test between the motor leads. There should be some small amount of resistance, not a dead short.

Failing any discoveries there, I'd probably just all-out remove ESCs 2&3 to see if the problem disappears when they are no longer in the system. Past that it would really depend on what you had found before..
I took the entire Quad down, meaning un soldered everything both the FC and the PDB, Cleaned it all up and re built the entire Quad. Same result. So frustrating. Checked with my Voltmeter to see what was going on. I get the same readings on all 4 motors from the voltmeter. Even re soldered the motors to the ESC's. I didnt find any chips or resistors that maybe I shorted when attaching the motors to the ESC's either. I guess I need to try buying two more ESC's. I still dont think it is them though. I wish I had a real life buddy near to look at it for me.
Apr 13, 2016, 03:33 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover01
I took the entire Quad down, meaning un soldered everything both the FC and the PDB, Cleaned it all up and re built the entire Quad. Same result. So frustrating. Checked with my Voltmeter to see what was going on. I get the same readings on all 4 motors from the voltmeter. Even re soldered the motors to the ESC's. I didnt find any chips or resistors that maybe I shorted when attaching the motors to the ESC's either. I guess I need to try buying two more ESC's. I still dont think it is them though. I wish I had a real life buddy near to look at it for me.
Did you check the motor screws?
Apr 13, 2016, 03:35 PM
So new and so in need of help.
Hover01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Msand2081
Another thing you might want to check. Is if any of the screws holding the motors on. Are in to far and touching the windings of the motors. this will create a short also.
I read this some where else and tried that. I have tried with them tightened down, lose and completely removed from the arms. Thank you for the response though. Any other ideas?
Apr 13, 2016, 03:45 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover01
I read this some where else and tried that. I have tried with them tightened down, lose and completely removed from the arms. Thank you for the response though. Any other ideas?
Removing the screws won'the fix the motor if the screw was installed too deep so that it hit the motor coils. The coils will still be permanently damaged. Try swapping one of the motors which is not working with one which you know is ok.
Apr 13, 2016, 03:47 PM
So new and so in need of help.
Hover01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by syotr
Removing the screws won'the fix the motor if the screw was installed too deep so that it hit the motor coils. The coils will still be permanently damaged. Try swapping one of the motors which is not working with one which you know is ok.
I'll try that next after I grab some lunch. Gotta walk away for a few or I get frustrated and will break something else. lol
Apr 13, 2016, 03:54 PM
Registered User
is this a new build, or repair . if its a new build how are the esc wired to the f/c . had a unit given to me (was flying ) fitted a new f/c that i wanted to try ,2 would arm and run up , but the other 2 would do nothing.after much wire and re-wire had to remove the red wire from 3 esc. so ended up with 1 esc all wires to the f/c and 3 with only sig and minus to the f/c
Apr 13, 2016, 04:14 PM
So new and so in need of help.
Hover01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by sweets
is this a new build, or repair . if its a new build how are the esc wired to the f/c . had a unit given to me (was flying ) fitted a new f/c that i wanted to try ,2 would arm and run up , but the other 2 would do nothing.after much wire and re-wire had to remove the red wire from 3 esc. so ended up with 1 esc all wires to the f/c and 3 with only sig and minus to the f/c
Its a new build. I am using a Lux Fc so the ESC's are soldered directly to the FC with the power obviously coming from the PDB.

As to the rest of your response. Are you saying you had 1 ESC with power from the PDB and then Signal and Ground soldered to the FC. The other 3 you had no power to them, just the Signal and ground connected to the FC?
Apr 13, 2016, 05:40 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hover01
Its a new build. I am using a Lux Fc so the ESC's are soldered directly to the FC with the power obviously coming from the PDB.

As to the rest of your response. Are you saying you had 1 ESC with power from the PDB and then Signal and Ground soldered to the FC. The other 3 you had no power to them, just the Signal and ground connected to the FC?
No, what he is saying is his ESCs had BECs built in, so he was powering the FC with the ESCs. His FC was having a problem with all 4 ESCs trying to deleiver power, so he had to take out the red wire from 3 of the, so it was only one ESC actually powering the FC.
Apr 13, 2016, 07:47 PM
So new and so in need of help.
Hover01's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by neonbjb
This may not be a direct answer, but stating what you can tell from your symptoms may help you come up with a solution:
1) The flight controller is shutting down when powered via the battery alone, indicating an electrical short somewhere.
2) Two motors are affected, indicating the issue is probably not a part that was broken from the factory (the chances of the same problem occurring on two different parts is pretty low).
3) The issue occurs when you arm the motors, indicating that if there is a short or problem, it is probably between the ESC and the motors.

If it were me, I'd start by doing a really thorough inspection of all of the ESCs - attempting to find any differences between the way 2&3 were put on vs 1&4. I would also be checking the individual chips on the littlebees to ensure I didn't accidentally de-solder a chip or resistor (there are some really small resistors between the motor pads, for instance). You can also do a resistance test between the motor leads. There should be some small amount of resistance, not a dead short.

Failing any discoveries there, I'd probably just all-out remove ESCs 2&3 to see if the problem disappears when they are no longer in the system. Past that it would really depend on what you had found before..
I am SUCH and idiot!!! I had the battery leads going to the 12v output on my PDB!!! Now that I have switched the leads to the BATT pads on the PDB, it seems I may have fried motors or ESC's.

When I arm, the #4 motor spins and the other 3 twitch back and forth while the those ESC's get hot.

I didnt even think about it when I originally soldered the PDB. This is my 2nd build and I used the same PDB on both. I cant believe I did that.