D800 Dimension: 136 x 172 x 56mm
Package Size: 227 x 158 x 80mm

Included Contents:
  • 1 x D800 charger
  • 1 x Power cord
  • 1 x DC output cable
  • 1 x T plug output cable
  • 1 x Manual
  • 1 x T-plug to XT60 converter adapter (Gift)

Suggested Optional Accessories

LM35 Temperature Sensor - CLICK
Parallel Charging Board - CLICK or CLICK

D800 Features:
  • High-power and high-performance circuit
  • Individual voltage balancer for Lithium batteries
  • Balance individual cells while discharging
  • Compatible with multiple types of Lithium Batteries
  • Lithium battery - "Fast charge" and "Storage" mode
  • Maximum safety
  • Data store/load
  • Cyclic charging/discharging
  • PC based analysis using USB communication (Requires add-on USB adapter)
  • 3pin temperature sensor interface, with temperature measurement function, at any time to monitor the battery temperature (Requires add-on Temperature sensor)
  • Heat dissipation: plastic cover built in cooling fan.
  • Display type: 16chr. x 2lines with a backlight LCD screen

Dimensions:

Bright back lit LCD panel makes for easy viewing. The exterior is made of high quality, durable plastic. It's smooth to the touch, and the graphics are clean and crisp.

4 durable buttons to navigate through the menus

Side view shown: Connection port for built in PSU, port for external PSU, Vent for fan, port for temperature sensor.

Various output connections for batteries to be charged along with balance ports and a vent for internal fan.

I've used this charger for a few days now, and I really like it. Having the built in power supply is actually quite convenient, especially since I am constantly moving around. I sometimes charge it in my room, and other times I have it charging in the garage. I've read in the many articles that people have issues with chargers with built in PSU's, I'm hoping it's not the case here, but if it is so, there is a port to use an external PSU.

As far as features goes, it's got all the functionalities that I would ever need, plus some. It's also able to charge any and all types of batteries that I would ever think about charging.

My Experience:
When I received the D800, I switched from using a SkyRc imax B6 mini, which is also a great charger, in my book. Since I'm only using it to charge a handful of 3S-4S LiPo's, I feel the D800 and the B6 is perfectly suited to my needs. Safety features such as temperature warning and overcharging limits, give me peace of mind, especially when charging LiPo's. To make full use of the temperature warning feature, a temperature sensor is requred. I purchased an LM35 temperature sensor and soldered on 3 wires attached to a servo connector (fits perfectly in the D800's temp sensor port.

Unfortunately, if you want to link up the charger to your computer, it will require an additional USB device, luckily, like the LM35, it should be a cheap purchase. I'm sure having the ability to analyze or monitor charge cycles is an important feature to have for some, but for the average user like me, probably won't use it. Since starting this hobby, I have only used this feature once, and this was just to see what it was. On the other hand, a means to connect to a computer may prove handy if there is ever an update to the D800's firmware.

I think the D800 could definitely benefit from having additional adapters to allow charging of more than just batteries with T-plug connectors. I personally use XT-60 connectors, but I also have many friends whom use EC3.

This isn't really a big deal, I would consider this more so a non-issue than anything... but when starting a charge, I notice that I have to hold the start button down for a couple fractions of a second longer than I would on my SkyRC charger.

Aside from the adapters, (banggood has already remedied this issue by including an XT60 adapter with all D800 purchases)I really could not ask for more out of a balance charger, this D800 really has met all of my expectations out of a charger.

PROS:
Feature rich
Multi battery charger
Convenient
Perfectly sized
Powerful (80watts)
Accurate

CONS:
T-plug connection -although things worked out for me perfectly fine (I had plenty of connectors on hand), I think others' would be happy to find more adapters included within this package.

I was curious to see what was inside, so here are a few pics after I cracked her open:

Internal Power Supply

Bottom of PSU

I tried prying this part out, but it was stuck on pretty good. I didn't want to break anything, so this is where I stopped dismantling.

Last edited by Danq0; Apr 20, 2016 at 03:53 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 11, 2016, 10:23 AM
Frankenstein recycled packs
Well done. You and JJ's reviews are the best I have seen on this charger so far.
I will post some low level data that you can add to your post above when I have time.
I tried to break mine, can't. LOL

4/15/2016 ADD

I charged a 5 year old 6S 6500 pack. Final voltages on this old pack; resting:
Average = 4.19245
Max = 4.2019
Min = 4.1822
Standard Deviation = 0.008421
High/low difference = 0.0197
To those that know how old packs react, I was impressed with the voltages after charging.

So, keep in mind that old lipo's will not balance as accurately as new packs. With that said, I charged a pack with less than 10 cycles.
This cycle was an unbalanced charge. I wanted to compare this to the next cycle of a balanced charge. As the numbers below show, this is a pretty solid pack.
I charged this 1000mah pack at 4C which is 4 amps.
Average = 4.19443333
Max = 4.196
Min = 4.1923
Standard Deviation = 0.001913984
High/Low Difference = 0.0037

Next up I tested a balanced charge function to test the balance function of the charger.
Average = 4.190233
Max = 4.1942
Min = 4.1837
Standard Deviation = 0.005701
High/Low Difference = 0.00801

OK, that is pretty darn good so how will it handle a severely out of balance pack?
This test involved me draining cell #2 to 3.65 and cells 1 and 3 left at 3.85. I did not bother testing the discharged voltage with the calibrated meter; nothing to gain by that. I then started the balance charge and this is what I got.
Start and finish:
4.19 --> 4.20617
3.86 --> 4.19882
4.19 --> 4.19816

Time to balance = 226.42 minutes
Time to balance = 3.77367 hours
Average = 4.2015
Max = 4.20617
Min = 4.19816
Standard Deviation = 0.190525589
High/Low Difference = 0.00801

Translated: Wow, pretty impressive final balance. Remember that cell 2 started out 0.2 volts lower than the other 2 and our usable voltage is only around 0.5 volts anyhow. 4.2 - 3.7 = 0.5 volts usable. Granted, it took close to 4 hours to do this but it did it and did it well. It never shut off (I changed default settings to allow for this long time) I did not expect this. She did not overheat and kept working even with odds like David vs Goliath.
As I said above, I tried to break it but couldn't.

This will be my go-to charger when I go to my cabin in the mountains.
Why?
I have the option of 110V and 12V inputs in a very compact unit and with up to a 7 amp charge for a 3 cell pack will only take 5-15 minutes per pack on most of the packs I will use up there.

Rick
Last edited by rampman; Apr 15, 2016 at 11:05 AM. Reason: Adding promised data
Apr 11, 2016, 05:38 PM
youtube.com searchfor danqfpv
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman
Well done. You and JJ's reviews are the best I have seen on this charger so far.
I will post some low level data that you can add to your post above when I have time.
I tried to break mine, can't. LOL

Rick
Thanks Rick!

sounds good...

lol how did you try to break it?

...I knew I remember seeing that frankenstein avatar somewhere recently... I was going to pick up a couple graphenes after reading your test on them, but hobbyking was out of stock on pretty much all of them I ended up picking up a couple dinogy 65C
Last edited by Danq0; Apr 11, 2016 at 05:44 PM.
Apr 11, 2016, 05:51 PM
Charging a 6S 13000 pack (two 6S 6500 in parallel) and then discharging it. At .1 amps it had to be re-started a few times (safety timer) and eventually I tired of looking at it so I brought in my light bulb setup. LOL

The interesting part was testing the balance function. I discharged cell #2 in a 3S 1000 to 3.65 with and leaving cells 1 and 3 at 3.85. I charged them and it came out to 4.2, 3.8, 4.2. I expected it to overcharge cells 1 and 3 until the total = 12.6 volts. It didn't and I was impressed.
Then I did a balance charge that took close to 4 hours BUT it did it. All cells ~4.2 volts each. I did not expect that. When I post data I will put it in my above post and you can copy/paste to your OP.
That 4 letter word called WORK is interfering with my day.

Rick
Apr 12, 2016, 10:24 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Charging a 6S 13000 pack (two 6S 6500 in parallel) and then discharging it. At .1 amps it had to be re-started a few times (safety timer) and eventually I tired of looking at it so I brought in my light bulb setup. LOL

The interesting part was testing the balance function. I discharged cell #2 in a 3S 1000 to 3.65 with and leaving cells 1 and 3 at 3.85. I charged them and it came out to 4.2, 3.8, 4.2. I expected it to overcharge cells 1 and 3 until the total = 12.6 volts. It didn't and I was impressed.
Then I did a balance charge that took close to 4 hours BUT it did it. All cells ~4.2 volts each. I did not expect that. When I post data I will put it in my above post and you can copy/paste to your OP.
That 4 letter word called WORK is interfering with my day.

Rick
holy crap haha, I wish I had batteries to do that to too, Im too scared to scrap even just one.

All of my batteries are basically toast, Ive had them for about 4-5 months. They are either puffed up, really puffed up, or sags like crazy. My guess was that the C rating was too low, and after repeated instances of dropping below 10.5 volts, my lipos started to degrade. I did just pickup a couple dinogy's though
Apr 12, 2016, 11:41 PM
Good packs. What sizes do you mostly use?
Apr 14, 2016, 05:40 PM
I am disappointed with this charger. 3S battery initially haveing 1)3.74V, 2)3.75V, 3)3.76V, after balance charging, the Charger showing all cell at 4.20V. When I checked with the multimeter it show like this 1) 4.16V, 2) 4.17V, 3) 4.19V.

How can you trust these Chargers. They are coning us.
Apr 14, 2016, 08:31 PM
Humm. Are you sure your battery isn't causing this?
My meter is a 6.5 digit calibrated meter and it sbowed very close final voltages across the pack.
Here are 2 samples.

Rick
Apr 15, 2016, 10:56 AM
As promised, I added data to my post #2 above
Apr 17, 2016, 10:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Humm. Are you sure your battery isn't causing this?
My meter is a 6.5 digit calibrated meter and it sbowed very close final voltages across the pack.
Here are 2 samples.

Rick
great info! thanks rick

Im imagining your house is filled with a bunch of high tech machines
Apr 18, 2016, 01:32 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Anyone did some storage testing? I find my D800 drains far less mAh from a battery when using storage program. Like 120 mAh from a 650 mAh battery. Where a regular B6, same battery and charge leads, it drains 260 mAh, which is more around the 50 to 60% charged level, that is accepted as safe storage state.
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Apr 23, 2016, 10:45 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
Anyone did some storage testing? I find my D800 drains far less mAh from a battery when using storage program. Like 120 mAh from a 650 mAh battery. Where a regular B6, same battery and charge leads, it drains 260 mAh, which is more around the 50 to 60% charged level, that is accepted as safe storage state.
Also when discharging, the D800 will take the battery lower than the b6
Apr 24, 2016, 01:31 AM
Fan of just about anything RC
Quote:
Originally Posted by Danq0
Also when discharging, the D800 will take the battery lower than the b6
You mean the discharge program? At what voltage does it stop and what pack did you test it with?
Latest blog entry: For the love of the hobby!
Apr 25, 2016, 04:34 PM
Thread OP
i think the d800 brought it down to 11.5 on a 3s, i will do a discharge later to double check

Quote:
Originally Posted by SoloProFan
You mean the discharge program? At what voltage does it stop and what pack did you test it with?
Apr 25, 2016, 05:12 PM
Thread OP
I'm discharging it now, an it says end voltage is at 9.00volts

It's currently at 11.46volts
Last edited by Danq0; Apr 25, 2016 at 05:36 PM.

Quick Reply